Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come one! Come all! Welcome Gents and Ladies to the...
:party2::party2::party2: Black Library Fluff Competition Thread!!!:party2::party2::party2:

The here thread has been specifically created to help any and all who intend to enter into this year's Black Library 40K writing contest. If you're looking for anything from spellcheck to storyboard ideas we are here to help! This year's theme is "Heroes of the Space Marines" and can be either about the Emperor's finest or the *cough* much more better evilly Chaos Marines. For all of the official rules and regulations, click on the following link -

Short story competition | The Black Library | Bringing the worlds of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 to life.

So here is how it works. Anyone who wants to get help with their submission, should write it up and then send to me via email ([email protected]). Send me a word or txt attachment document with your entry (or entries if you're looking for help narrowing it down). On February 18th I'll close submissions and we'll start reviewing stories. If you don't make the submission deadline, no big deal, you can still submit it to me, but those who submitted on time will get to go first. We have a limited number of days, which I think should be enough for everyone who wants to to get their own day, if not then I'll try my best to work something out so everyone gets some input.

Once submissions are closed, I'll put all the names in a hat and draw one of each day, the name I draw is the person whose entry will get reviewed by everyone else that day. If you do submit and entry, please hold up your part of bargain and help review other people's entries, this idea doesn't work if other people don't jump in to help out. Don't be selfish.

When I post the entry, I'll put a link in this post to it as well so it's easy to find if you've been away from the thread for a bit.

Well that's all for now folks - Let me know what you think. Also please post here if you are sending me an entry so I can look for it in my inbox and let you know if I don't have it. Hope to see a lot of your stories soon! Oh! - And Happy Valentine's Day!

Well, we've thus begun the editing process - I'll link the stories here for anyone who wants to check them out - leave a post with your thoughts on it, we'd love to hear from you!

1.) "Sacrifice" (Excerpt) - hotspike18 - Copyright Justin Borden (c) 2008
2.) "Brothers in Chaos" (Full Narrative) - Imperial_Dominatus - Copyright Samson Keeney (c) 2008
3.) "Blood Gamblers" (Excerpt) - Daelrog - Copyright Matthew P. Hirschinger (c) 2008

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well seeing as only in-fluff marines are allowed (just checked, shoulda noticed that the first time) I s'pose I could some fluff on one of the Renegade chapters detailed in the new codex (unless those aren't allowed either, that would suck) I'd probably go Dragon Warriors, as they seem particularly interesting.

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
Those should be fine; if they're in the Codex, they're GW fluff. I intend to do stories about Hakanor's Reavers and the Scourged; those look interesting to me. I feel like I could get some interesting description pieces out of the former and some sweet dialogues and narratives out of the second.

But for now I'm doing Word Bearers, cause they're one of the Legions I really like.

·
1,065 Posts
total.....writers block.

Do you want us to submit the synopsis to you? becuase there's no way i can write the whole story by the 18th :?

·
It's what's for dinner
1,284 Posts
Well, it's only a max of 1500 words, 500 for the synopiss, 1000 for the writing sample. All you gotta do Albino is come up with a story idea, then write one particularly juicy part of the story. I'll consider PMing one of my two stories. Since you can send in multiple entries, I did one loyalist and one traitor story. I feel really confident that at least one of them should make it into the second round.
Speaking of such, does anyone have a good guess as far as how many entires there will be around, how many will go on, and how many will be accepted?

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly have no idea, my best guess is a couple hundred at least, especially since they said that last year's was so popular they are bringing it back.

And like Daelrog said, you only need to submit an outline and an excerpt. Maybe if any of us get into the second round, then we perhaps can talk about doing another round to help those who have to write a full manuscript.

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
I will likely only be able to manage a rough draft by Monday myself, though I have an outline all written out. I still need to do schoolwork and all that, along with putting together a few models and having a few games. And painting, perhaps... :0 Perhaps not.

But I also have a few other backup ideas that I might throw a story together for- they're all about Traitors, because my own fluff is enough Loyalist fluff to last a lifetime! ;)

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well you know guys there is now stress, you can always just turn in whatever you have at the moment. I'm not running the actual contest, so my deadline is just a date to get the revisions started. No pressure. ;Y

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
So basically, if you're not up on ALL the fluff/novels connected to the Dark Angels, Space Wolves, smurfs, Imp. Fists, Black Templars, Blood Angels, etc., you can't write?

Guess that leaves me out. I barely was able to come up with fluff for my OWN chapter without clashing with the wrath of the fluffmasters here. I can't imagine doing it on an established chapter.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well, I don't think there's actually any established fluff for the Dragon Warriors (at least none that I can find) so my dilemma is what to make them like. I'm thinking of going one of four ways, Going Nordic, Japanese-esque, European draconic, or Evil-salamanders style dudes.

Edit: any suggestions?

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Canew - what you write is between you and the Black Library man, I wouldn't stress too much over knowing what all has been going on with each Chapter/Legion - there is always some company not involved in the big conflicts we hear about.

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
So basically, if you're not up on ALL the fluff/novels connected to the Dark Angels, Space Wolves, smurfs, Imp. Fists, Black Templars, Blood Angels, etc., you can't write?

Guess that leaves me out. I barely was able to come up with fluff for my OWN chapter without clashing with the wrath of the fluffmasters here. I can't imagine doing it on an established chapter.
Never heard of such a stipulation. Though if you need some info, you can always ask around. You don't need to know everything, but a working base of knowledge would help. I think a few minutes on Wiki would give you enough to write about a Chapter, and if you run into any tight spots after that (not too likely in a short story, but maybe), you can always ask for advice.

Well, I don't think there's actually any established fluff for the Dragon Warriors (at least none that I can find) so my dilemma is what to make them like. I'm thinking of going one of four ways, Going Nordic, Japanese-esque, European draconic, or Evil-salamanders style dudes.

Edit: any suggestions?
If there's no fluff for them, go with whatever you want. Evil Salamanders seems kinda antithetical, though, since the Sals are known for their humanity when compared to their cousins in other Chapters. I haven't seen many Japanese-style Chapters, but I wouldn't make it too obvious- I'm sure it's been done before, perhaps badly.

What do you mean by Euro-draconic? Sounds interesting but I'm not up on these things at the moment. Might be forgetting something.

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright guys, just remember to email me your stories so we can get started on Tuesday!

·
It's what's for dinner
1,284 Posts

Sounds like you have something else bugging you mate. There are a lot of chapters one can choose, most of which have no fluff around them. Just pick one of the chapters you see in the painting section of the SM codex. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the "wrath of the fluffmasters", but what's the worst that will happen if you submit something that doesn't fit with the 40k universe? It couldn't hurt to try.
PS One of my entries is on the Black Templars, and all I have is their codex, none of their books. ;Y

I think i will be entering this competition. £21,000 sounds like a good idea to write somthing.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you had a calculation error. I believe it ends up at £210. Not a bad number, but it's quite a bit smaller.
Oh, and I forgot to say who I was in my e-mail. My e-mail is the one with the stories "Of Trust and Brotherhood" and "Blood Gamblers."

Alright guys, just remember to email me your stories so we can get started on Tuesday!
Done. At first I was hesitant about it as this is a competition after all, but then I said what the heck. Why not have a few people take a gander at what I wrote?
Oh, and I forgot to say who I was in my e-mail. My e-mail is the one with the stories "Of Trust and Brotherhood" and "Blood Gamblers."

Reactions: hotspike18

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm a noob at writing, but i'll try to come up with something and see If I'll be able to work around assignments. What I've got so involves space wolves and eldar. As an anthoilogy it'll be looking for something different, not a standard "these people are fighting these people and this person does something heroic". I'll move for the theme of faith in the emperor. But I'll have to look at assignments first, it's my last year. I'll try to come up with something, but until then I'll just keep reading my copy of "The fiction writers handbook".

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the heads up Daelrog - I'm glad you said something, because your email somehow managed to sneak it's way into my Spam folder....sneaky Alpha Legion. Thanks for entering! :happy:

Everybody else - I hope to see all of your entries tonight! No hard deadlines or anything. I pretty much "close" submissions after I wake up and shower tomorrow. But of course you're still welcome to enter after that anyway!

Good luck guys! I look forward to some cool fluffiness! 8Y

1 - 20 of 57 Posts