Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am very new to warhammer 40k, just started about a week ago. I am playing chaos, and i baught the battle force. I've painted 3 Khorne Berserkers, and i've been having a problem.

(I prime them black) for the red areas i've been having to put maybe 3 or 4 coats of red on(to get a nice effect, meaning no primer showing), over black primer. i've used the citadel paints blood red, scab red, and red gore, but its still the same each time.

i tried using white primer, and it only need 1 or 2 coats. but then it doesn't give it the nice dark dark red look.

what should i do?

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Welcome!

Well, you will come across this problem with several different paints from the Citadel line. Among these are especially red, yellow and white.

If you want a cool dark red colour for your Khorne Berserkers you could mix the red paint with a bit of black and paint over white undercoat.
Unfortunately, you don't really have a choice when using red.. You can't paint over black properly. I recommend you undercoat them in white and use black ink to create a shady effect.

Don't paint several coats of red... It's not a very good way of painting and it will ruin the detail of the miniature...

-Rob

·
Registered
148 Posts
simple fix

Hi there and welcome!

There is a very simple fix to your problem! Red and white and yellow and the metal colors do not like other colors on them or under them. They tend to bleed. The best way to correc this is to buy flat laquer in a spray can. Once you base coat your model with black or white, you have to spray your models and wait for a few hours for the clear to dry.
This step will protect the paint from the new paint and give you the color you want! Remember though, a white base coat is the only color that give you true color to other colors added over it. Black tints the new color a shade darker, so you might want to use black since you are making Chaos. Its really up to you the artist!

Remember, paint the base coat.....try and use a spray black or white. Then let it dry and then spray clear on the base color if useing red. Red bleeds jsut like blood! :D

hope this helps friend.
Bill

·
The Voice of Reason
756 Posts
I find that the black primer works well, but whenever I want a lighter color in an area, I will paint over the primer first with white, then again with whatever light color once the white is dry. That being said, my home-grown SM army is mainly a dark green color, so really only small areas need this treatment. In your case, with most of your models being red, a white undercoat would probably save the most time. You could then spray paint the model with Blood Angels red. To get a darker, grittier look to the red ( which fits better for your chaos horde), I would suggest a VERY light drybrush over the entire model with either black or dark brown. I find this sufficiently dulls the red so you don't have some happy go-lucky bright color for your chaotic despoiler. Again, the drybrush is EXTREMELY light, with virtually no paint.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Anyone ever tried using a grey primer for reds? It seems to me that that might just work.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If you want a bright color over black, then mix white with that color and put it on before putting on the actual color. For red, you have to stick with either bright, or with black patches. The black ink thing might work though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I'm brand new. Actualy the only reason I signed up was to respond to this thread. Though I may post more in future.

I find that the reason the red paints from citidel come up as either too bright (white base coat) or to splochy (black base cote) is because they are mixed too thin. I've been painting figs for 15 years and find that the best way to fix the problem is to mix the red with a thicker paint colour (beastial brown works great) and apply it as a base, then paint over it with the intended tone of red. dmitedly when painting a large army it can be hard to maintain consistancy, but if you keep it simple (say 2:1/red:brown) you shouldn't have to many problems.A a shiny after thought I some times throw on a coat of red or brown ink(depending on the unit) and highlight to your liking.

Side note: This is the same problem I had with yellow, But I dislike yellow armies so I havn't found the best method for painting it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Chestnut Ink is your friend. It gives a nice look to red armour especially. I haven't tried it because the last time I had a red armoured army was 8 years ago when I had my blood angels, and I didn't have any chestnut ink. Suppose you could test it on a test model. If you don't have any chestnut ink then flesh wash can be a good substitute.

·
Cthulhu's Lovechild
1,746 Posts
Brown goes over black well, and red goes over brown more easily than black. You do the math...

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I paint red I always paint a layer of brown(scorched brown or sumfing) over a black undercoat. then a layer of reg gore, and finaly a layer of blood red. the brown will look like red and you got shading and highlighting all done :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
My solution to this (when painting my son's blood angels) is to simply spray the red on w/an airbrush. Two thin coats of this, and its practicably impossible to tell what the base coat is, other than that over white, the red is slightly brighter. Slightly.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I sprayed my blood angels red and inked the crap out of them to get it darker... but at least ink is thiner than paint :p

-Jenn

·
Registered
150 Posts
It depends on the type of surface you are painting. Actually for my DE guns I just brushed over the base black gun with red paint, not even layers just one quick slash of paint, gore red. It gives them a really nice worn look if you can get it an even thin layer. I tried doing layers on the gun but it acutally looked better in one stage.

But for something detailed like a Serker, you probally want to start on a white base coat, and then do a combo of mixing a litte black in with the red and using some inks to get the desired color. Magna, chesnut, just plain old red will all work pretty well. IT depends if you want a worn looking Khorne guy or one that looks like he polishes his armor 8x daily.

·
Registered
769 Posts
When I painted my IST's I just put on a layer of red gore over the black primer. It worked pretty well for me, just a little bit of the basecoat shows through but its hardly noticeable because I left the models predominantly black. It actually kinda looks like they just have dirty fatigues on under their armor.

·
Cthulhu's Lovechild
1,746 Posts
Pink basecoat works well for red on black. You will get queer eye jokes coming thick and fast if you do it though.

·
Registered
492 Posts
u do have to do alot of coats yes , but u can pull pf some brilliant shading because of this , in the darker areas u can have minimal coats and on the flatter areas lots of coats . and then colours like blood red on the areas were lots of light would be . so its quite nice that black is to dark for red , and that red is chemicaly a very thin paint .

heres an example of what can be done with black undercoat for red

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have blood angels... what I did was...

White spray *light coat*
Red spray *good coat*
Ink red *let dry*
Ink red *again & let dry*
Ink red *again & let dry*
Detail *Guns, badges, etc.*
Base *sand inked black*
And done

From putting so many coats of red ink you get the really dark look to the cracks on the armor as if you sprayed black. You can also do a coat of watered down black ink if you want them darker. But this was easy and fast. I have a very nice looking army (2 best painted awards :p ) and it didn't take long to paint. Though I'm a horrible general ^_^

-Jenn

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.