Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first list so i'm not sure on some things and would appreciate all feedback.

HQ

Marshal
∙Artificer Armour
∙Bolt Pistol
∙Power Weapon
∙Sword Brethren Squad (Marshal Leads)
=121

ELITE

Sword Brethren Squad
∙10 Sword Brethren - 10x Bolt Pistol and CCW
∙Marshal (Led by Marshal)
=190

Dreadnought
∙Extra Armour
∙Tank Hunter
=120

TROOPS

Crusader Squad
∙10 Initiates - 8xBolter
∙Frag Grenades
∙Missile Launcher
∙Plasma Gun
=186

Crusader Squad
∙5 Initiates - 3xBolter
∙2 Neophytes - 2xShotgun
∙Lascannon
∙Flamer
=121

TOTAL=748

·
Registered
177 Posts
okay first up you MUST take an emperor's champion above 750 points. this is not a bad thing as he is absolutely rocking. take a nice vow too.

Veteran squad are delicious models, but I personally don't think you need 10. maybe drop it to 5 and take a rhino/razorback.

Crusader squads are grand

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, i didn't think i needed an Emperor's Champion since i didn't go over and i threw 10 in cos i couldn't think of anything and i thought i'd need some cannon fodder. Well thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, first off, that marshal and those sword bretheren are going to be shot to pieces long before they ever reach anything. Give them a delivery system (ie, rhino) or don't take them at all. I'd lean towards the latter, sword bretheren aren't all that good.

Your second crusade squad is a little rag-tag... doesn't really serve any specific purpose. Shotguns, a flamer... and a lascannon? Pick ranged or CC and tool them up appropriately.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great, after looking at this list, I want to check into Black Templars. I don't think I'm ever going to pick a definate army for my Marines.

Anyway, I agree Farseer Aileen. Your second Crusader Squad is all over the place. That means a lot for versatility, but at the end of the day, they might be a waste since they don't "specialize" in anything.

And just a heads up, I don't think you're allowed to post the costs of specific pieces of Wargear.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah, as a templar you should definatly look into taking transport, the marshal is cool but make the emporers champion your main HQ and make the marshall a cheap combat mad man that goes with a tooled up combat squad in a razorback. In such a small game id drop the sword bretheran and make up another large crusader squad in a rhino, or maybe a tank such as a predator...

·
655 Posts
To start, the list is decent. So the comments I'm going to make are to fine-tune the list and make it just a bit better.

Marshal: I agree that you do not need an EC because of the points value, so a marshal is a good choice for BT because of the leadership bonuses. So I usually deck mine out to max his attacks (Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol & terminator Honors, and give him a 4+ invulnerable w/ the iron halo).

Sword Brethren: My head hurts. Why take them if you are only using them as standard BP/CCW marines? Drop them for regular marines and save 30 points. What do do with those 30 points? I know! I know! PF & MG in the squad. This makes a good CC squad (10-men, PF/MG).

Dreadnought: Do you think you need tankhunter? I think that you'll most likely be messing up infantry with this guy. It's up to you, but I've gone away from dreads all together because I just don't like them as much as I used to. But it's up to you.

Troops: I would run two squads for shooting. Either 6-man ML & PG or 6-man Las/plas. While this might be a bit power-gaming, it does give you some nasty firepower in the background supporting your CC squads.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've finally gotten back on... Thanks for all the feedback everyone who posted i will be fixing the list very soon.

·
Registered
497 Posts
On the Sword Brethren...

Just a reminder, if you do wish to use them over normal BP/CCW Marines keep in mind they can be infiltraitors.

In fact many people overlook their use in that role, and the fact it's an unexpected trick most foes don't see coming from a unit like them and an army not known for deploying like that. Exception: If your foe happens to play against alot of Space Wolves.

Of course before you use it, make sure you've come up with a way to incorporate it into your strategy.

Now against some armies that just leaves them alone in the enemies back field to die (Nids for example)... HOWEVER against some armies (IG, Tau, and some Eldar come to mind) that means they're disrupting your foe and reaking havoc on Turn 1 or Turn 2.

Funny thing is even when I've used them that way and they've been wiped, they usually tied or up or distracted/redirected my foe long enough or oddly enough they make a difference just in how they change my foes approach to objectives or keeping his force together and focused on the rest of my army. SOmetimes they just do a nice job being deployed so they can occupy and defend an objective faster then anything else in my army. Which is the best way to use units like them in my opinion... as tools to win the game through efficiency and objectives.

If you're just using them as a blunt hammer, well, you can do the same for cheaper with other units in the army.

[just make sure to deploy them in cover unless you make other arrangements via certain powers avaliable to the Black Templars which give them more then their 3+, your foe might get to go first on Turn 1 after all]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts