Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just started a Black Templar army and still just learning the game.

I have so far built my

HQ-
a chaplin of santity

Troops-
8 man crusade squad cc and bolter pistols
and 1 with power fist bolter 1 meltagun (total 10 initiates)
all have grenades and crusade seals

6 man squad bolter guns, 1 missle launcher, 1 lascannon (total 8 initiates for fire support)
all have grenades and crusade seals

I am looking to bulk up my first unit with come neophtyes with cc and bolters after that I am not sure what grouping to fill out next typicaly. Should I go for fast attack, elite, or heavies?
Was thinking of going machine based with my fast attack slot and get speeders but little unsure of direction to grow. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
hey, welcome to 40k. ;)

You cant have 2 heavy weapons in the same troop squad. so drop the missile launcher.

As for expanding it really depends what type of army you are looking to have. if you want a shooty army then heavy support. if you want an assultly close combat army then maybe some bikes or more troops but with drop pods.

Let us know what you would LIKE to have and then we can tell you what would suit best.

:)

EDIT
your chaplain will need upgrades. give him this.
Terminator honours
Bolt pistol
Frag grenades.
(and a jump pack if you decide to get an assult squad)

This will give him a total of 5 attacks (not 3 as his profile says)

·
Registered
364 Posts
your chaplain will need upgrades. give him this.
Terminator honours
Bolt pistol
Frag grenades.
(and a jump pack if you decide to get an assult squad)

This will give him a total of 5 attacks (not 3 as his profile says)[/QUOTE]

this is what I have on my BT chaplain, it works really good in my first game last week my chappy took on a squad of 18 IG conscripts and won with still two wounds left but I didn;t have frags on but i do now it will help alot though

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
Neophytes can only have ccw+ bolt pistols or shotguns, not bolters. Neophytes are important to Black Templars since they offset the cost of Initiates and allow you to field more numbers than the typical Space Marine army.

Grenades are a good investment most of the time, but Crusade seals should only be for large squads who happen to not have a character with them. Remember that Black Templar characters have crusade seals already, and so confer the benefits to any squad they join.

Landspeeders are good if you know how to use them correctly, and I personally use them alot. I use a multi melta land speeder for tank hunting and sometimes a land speeder tornado with an assualt cannon and heavy bolter to provide fire support and exploit weaknesses in the enemy's line.

Its also a good idea to add some cenobyte servitors to your chaplain if you're going to attack the enemy on foot. They will make your righteous fury scary for the enemy, and can make for second turn charges in some cases. If the chaplain has them, make sure to put him in a large squad.

Grenades and seals on the bolter/missile launcher squad are of little use since they will be mostly shooting, and though they will move at the enemy when they get shot, during your turn they have to stay still to fire the heavy weapons, which means no assualting.

Starting off I would say add a Dreadnought for elites, an assualt squad for fast attack, and a Predator for heavy support. These things are common in Black Templar armies and you can be sure that you will have a use for them as you develop your own play style. Later on, when you have a decent base for your force is when you should consider the Sword Brethren, Teminators, and maybe a Land Raider Crusader. These units are strong, but best used in larger point games where their cost won't cause you to be badly outnumbered and outgunned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the catch with the missle launcher. My idea for seals in the shooting support is if i get a high move roll I can reroll it hopeing for a lesser number. Is it just not worth it?

·
1,140 Posts
I've tried it that way too, and I've never found it to be too important. Sometimes they fall back, so it balances out when they move forward. Take the seals if you have the points to burn, but otherwise use those points to upgrade your HQs or squads.

·
Registered
346 Posts
well yea predator annihilator would work, dreadnaught, and a LRC! thats like a mandatory for a black templars army! I would get assault squad members to go along with the chaplain, this would be very effective. If you put the emprors champion and 14 initiates geared for CC in the LRC their pretty much always gonna get there. Have neophytes in CC squads that walk, they work to bolster numbers. Shooting squads u might as well just forget about IMO in black templars. A dreadnaught, preadtor annihilar and 3 attack bikes with multi meltas do the trick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey picked up an predator box also some magnets so I am going to have a convertable version that can pretty much be any set up that I want.

·
1,140 Posts
Smart thinking, I do that with my landspeeders. Both the Dextructor and Annihalator are good tanks, to configure it to whatever your army needs and it should serve you well.

Shooting squads are very useful in a Black Templars army, regarless of what anyone may say otherwise. Would you rather shoot Genestealers or fight them in close combat? What about Wytches? Orks? Do you want to have to footslog it every single time to do s4 attacks that don't ignore armour, or would you rather convieniently fling them this way and that without even having to move and ignore armour saves of 5 or more?

Shooting squads aren't our main thing, but they are still good in a Templar army (if not sometimes better... they move forward automatically when shot and can still shoot heavy weapons) and they are necessary for providing cover fire for your assualt oriented troops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts