Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am thinking of starting up a BT army. I have decided to buy some Close Combat Termies (and a black templar crusader conversion sprue) first up simply because they look awesome and I want to build them. They will work well with a Black Templar CC army as well.

My question is, would it be wise to buy a boxed set of Space Wolf Blood Claws, and a Boxed set of normal Tactical Marines, and then use them to make two squads of crusaders (initiates). The Blood claws have lots of bolt pistol and chain swords which apparently are what crusader squads benefit from, but would these combined with the ones on the crusader sprue be too many? I can then use the 20 marines to split up into two squads which I can decided between CC and Ranged orientated, or mixed. Also the Blood Claws sprue's have heaps of helmet less heads, which I like. So would these two boxes be sufficient for two Squads of Initiates?

Secondly, I plan to fill out these squads with Neophytes. I have been reading up on weapons and shotguns seem to be neophyte favourites. What would be a good layout for the neophytes? Also, can I give one neophyte a heavy Bolter, and one Initiate a heavy bolter(or lascannon)? Or is there a 1 heavy weapon per team restriction?

Also, just a few things I haven't been able to find out.
1.Can BT take Assassins? (I read that they couldn't, but I would love a vindicare...)
2.Can BT take Deathwatch Killteams ? (would these be good for ranged support for the masses of CC units?)

Thanks for the help...

·
655 Posts
Do you have a codex? I would start there, it's probably the best $22 you'll spend.

But in general, the BT upgrade sprue will get you what you need to make your first squad of BT initiates, as well as your terminator parts. That will get you started,, for sure. I personally, don't like the SW Blood Claws box because... well... they are dirty space wolves, and not noble BTs. :) But some people think it is a good buy (which I'm sure it is).

I believe that I bought 3 chapter upgrade boxes (they came with the BTs at the time) and I have 45+ initiates on foot, all with at least one special BT upgrade. I also have about 30 marines with bolters from those same boxes. Oh yeah, and 30 jump troops. I'm actually going back through now and reorganizing my unpainted guys so that everyone has something special, and no one is left out, and I should have just enough pieces to make it work.

But, I think starting with an HQ (marshal or chaplain) & 2 BT crusader squads would work well. Then add your LRC & CC Terminators, and Emperor's Champion, and you have a fun to play 1000 pt CC list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I just didn't want to buy the codex without knowing if I wanted to collect BT for sure (and then change my mind). I've been looking for a cheap one somewhere, will end up costing about $30 though (australian).

I guess I could always play non-codex 'templars' some of the time if I want to use generic space marines rules for Assassins, Deathwatch, and Devestators, and then BT at other times.

I plan on getting a Terminator Chaplain and maybe one squad of normal marines (just for the HQ and 2 Troop game entry army) after the CC Terminators, I am collecting more so than playing, but I would still like to have a good strong army when I feel like playing...

Thanks,

Would you happen to know how many chainsword and boltpistols are on the Crusader upgrade sprue? I thought it was 6 which isn't really enough, hence the Blood Claws idea...
I wouldn't call the Blood claws dirty though, the models are pretty much the same as normal marines except with cool heads and many a close combat weapon...

·
655 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I thought there were a total of 12 BP & CCW per upgrade sprue, but I might be wrong, as it has been so long since I got one.

You should probably get the Blood Claws, as they will have everything you need... I just have a deep hatred for SWs, as my friend plays them (and they are nasty, nasty games).

The BTs are fun to play, but they do have a steep learning curve. The reason I love them is because they look almost unbelievbably beautiful on the tabletop when they are painted. And the scheme is so easy! I try to add text and a free-hand cross somewhere on each of my templars to describe their crusading nature, as well as a description of their deeds. I just love when you have terminators marching up the field firing off 2 ACs and then screaming as they charge into a unit of the nefarious eldar, smashing guardians to the left and right, being almost impenetrable in CC...

Sorry, I got a little excited there. In actuality, they BTs aren't the best straight CC chapter there is, as they lack a bit in the special weapons & veterans department. I would bet that honor goes to the BAs. I almost always tie CC to my friends SWs because he gets so many PFs & PWs that counteract my overwhelming numbers. BTs aren't for the faint of heart, but man, are they fun to play, given their advantages & handicaps almost always being the same thing (fearless in CC & RZ, for two examples).

I think, however, that the only way to get the real feel for them is via the codex, or at least playing a few games with their rules.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks heaps for the help. I have always thought that Black Templars were the best looking Space marines out there, and even when painted averagely they still look good compared to a chapter like ultramarines, which seem to be very easy to paint badly . The Sword Brethren are another cool CC squad which I plan on getting, apparently they are very good for a veteran squad but thats just what I have read.

In regards to the BT upgrade sprue, I had a look and there is only 6 BP&CCW combos with 2 more axes, 2 power swords and 2 power fists. The only problem is that there is 12 CCW's and 6 BP's. Also, the axe/sword/pfist cost more points for power weapons don't they? I think I might go with the Blood Claws for the weapons, that way I will definitely have enough for two robust squads, and don't worry, they won't look like Space Wolves when they are done, although Space Wolves were the other army I had to decide between.

I was looking around at the Chaplains in Termie armour, and found a nice painted one with a blue glow effect on the eyes... Going to see if I can find a tutorial on it as it looked awesome, I saw it on some BT terminators aswell, but in red.

Will the Black Templar Codex tell me if I can take Deathwatch Kill-teams or Assassins? The Deathwatch rules, I thought, might have been made after the publishing of the BT Codex so I was just checking.

Thanks again.

·
655 Posts
Deathwatch kill teams are separate rules, which I believe can be found on the GW website as a PDF. Sadly, I can't seem to find them, so I might be wrong (again).

A Power Fist costs more than a Power Weapon, but make sure you realize that we are fearless in CC, so if you run into a wraithlord that you can't hurt without a PF, you are out of luck. One upgrade sprue and a couple of boxes of SW Blood Claws will most likely set you up with a couple of good squads of BTs. Spray them quick though so they don't think they belong in grey!

To take an assassin, you would need either the Demonhunters codex or the Witch Hunters codex for their rules. I believe (don't quote me) that you need to take an inquisitor to take an assassin, and as BTs can't have a psycher (sp) in their army, it gets expensive to field one and an assassin for a relatively single use model. I would suggest the Demonhunter codex because BTs and Grey Knights work really well together.

Painting BTs is great. Simple with the $10 US dollar can of Black Spraypaint, I am just about ready to (re)paint most of my army in one go. It matches the Choas Black really well, too. With one can, you can get a whole lot of models "primed", which for us, is basecoated! Yeah.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I would assume BT would be able to field Deathwatch, as long as the codexdoesn't state that they can't (I have read the Deathwatch rules and it doesn't say anything about Black Templar, just all space marine chapters can field them). They are similar to Grey Knights except there has to be xenos, instead of demons, to field them.

I am aware of the no Librarian rule, but I know it doesn't apply to grey knights. I hope that would also involve an inqiusitor. Would a grey knight commander (inquisitor) be ok to use to field an assassin? (I just like the model of the Vindicare, would like to paint one, I doubt I would play with it much, it'd just be fun to paint).

I plan on getting grey knight termies but not for a while, they are the most expensive squad of units I have seen. I was actually thinking about the spray paint the other day, I was worried that cheap or non-GW paints might give that shiny (reflective) appearance which I really hate. I was going to get around it by just getting chaos black and mixing it with water, and doing a few coats, which I hoped would get around the black "shine". I will try to get the soon to be ex-bloodclaws covered in black quickly though, after I clip off all of the little wolf tails and stuff that is.

Cheers for the help man, 'preciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts