Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!!
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

A friend of mine has been bitten by the 40K bug, and decided on a Black Templars army. I have volunteered to assemble and paint some of this army, as well as teaching him the modeling/painting aspect of out hobby.

I have personally wanted to do a Black Templars army for some time, but other things have gotten in the way and it never happened. This makes me double happy that my friend has chosen this army!

Not much progress has been made so far (I have a newborn at home, so finding hobby time is a bit tough) but I will share all the progress as it unfolds.

First up - Dreadnoughts

These are mild conversions of the AoBR dread and the normal plastic dread. Ordered, but not yet arrived, is a Forgeworld Venerable Dreadnought. Once it arrives I will be able to determine what magnetization scheme I will use to make all the weapons interchangeable, and then start painting. The other arms (Assault cannon, DCCW are assembled ad Templarised, but not pictured)

Plastic Dreadnought

AoBR Dreadnought

This is a small start to a big project, stay tuned!

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
A very nice start you've made here; lovely looking dreads! Good to hear you're helping your friend out, too!

Best of luck finding the time, I look forward to seeing this project chug along.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
i tried using 3 marine squad banners on the dread and it makes the dreadnought look like an ancient venerable! try it out :p. you won't be dissapointed ^^.
thanks
antique_nova

·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Slow, but steady progress -

Marshall and Emperor's Champion

Powerfist

Assault Powerfist

Chaplain from the bitzbox

Crozius Arcanum from the bitzbox

Terminator Chaplain -- I need to drill the barrels!

Neophytes

AoBR Sarge and Shotgun Neophytes (I will get the painting about 1/2 complete before attaching the arms. The chest eagles are impossible to paint well when covered by the guns!

The other Dreadnaught arms.

Certain items (Backpacks and heads, specifically) I like to keep off until later in the painting process.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Oh is that red paint i see!? Gathering the troops... all this anticipation!

As for bases, I personally like great plains, with all the different brown shades and tall grass. Or you could have your tough Templars in a hot magma filled terrain, which would look more hardcore than the whimsical breezy Plain idea lol

·
His jetbikes are many.
282 Posts
Great start so far, and nice conversions as well.

About the bases, I think that danjones87's idea about a ruined temple is great. It will go along nicely with the Black Templar fluff.

I painted a Black Templar assault squad for a friend of mine once... for the bases I used slates made of cardboard (painted grey) and sand (painted brown). I added some static grass or fallen leaves to add some details.

Thank you for sharing, I am waiting for more!

·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Some more Progress - All photos WIP

Termie Chaplain. Mostly done, need to shine up the gold, clean the black a bit, complete the basing, finish the seals, etc... This is a wonderful model!

Assault Marines with cool resin helmets

I am going to go for the "Really Dark Grey Templars" paintjob. It's way less headache. More photos on this process to come

WIP Test Neophyte. Coming along nicely! Hand-drawing the crosses is not fun. However, the decals don't fit, so I guess I will practice.

Assault squad with Jump Chaplain

FW Ven Dread.

Dreadnaught update -

I mentioned that I was wating for the FW Dread to arrive to see how I need to magnatize the arms. Now that It's here and the 3 dreads have 3 different arm-hole sizes, I have come up with a plan... Watch this thread for WIP photos and tutorial!

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
All looking good so far!

I'm not sure if the mismatch in the dreadnought arm-holes is surprising or expected, really. At least you've got a solution in mind, which should see things moving along nicely!

·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Magnetizing a Dread is really easy! Glue a ferrous steel disc or washer to the chassis where the arms connect...

Secure a strong magnet to the arm...

And there you have it! Easy! This is a Flamestorm Cannon conversion, for friendly games

AoBR dread with LasCannon and DCCW

The same model with AssCannon and Missile Launcher

All the arms. The FW Multi Melta and DCCW still need Templar Bits. As well as the Flamestorm...

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Well, that magnetising was easier than I expected! I always tend to do things the hard way though...

·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here is a bunch of progress, all are still WIP, but some are very close to finished. In general, everything needs some attention, mainly highlighting.

Chaplain bitzbox WIP

Termie Chappie

Black Reach Dread with magnetized weapons

Rhino 1

Rhino 2 (with razorback guns)

The Black Reach boys

Neophytes 1

Neophytes 2. I'm thinking that they don't get crosses until they earn their power armor.

The next batch of guys. 10 or so Initiates, Marshall, Emperor's Champion, a couple of rhino gunners, objective marker.

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
MOULD LIIIIINEEEEE!!!

(the chaplain)

Are you using the decals or hand painting the crosses? If you're hand painting, they're looking pretty good!

Keep painting!
-DDW

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.