Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying a large bulk of Space Marine boxes online to get me started on my Black Templars, but I am unsure which boxes to buy.

this is because I heard that when playing Black Templars, one is better off buying Space Wolf Blood Claws than normal marines, because supposedly the first have more Close Combat Weapons & Bolters included on their sprues?

I was planning on buying the following:

2x space marine battleforce
2x black templars upgrade kit

Which would give me:

10 Scouts,
10 Assault Marines with jumppacks
10 Combat Marines
20 Tactical Marines
2 Rhinos
and 2 Sets worth of black Templar upgrades.

My question is, would these 2 upgrade kits give me enough Close Combat Weapons, bolters & other miscellanea in order to build a good Black Templar force? Or should I really get 2 Space Wolf Battleforces instead of 2 Space Marine battleforces?

If I'd get the Space Wolf ones, I'd end up with:

2x space wolves battleforce
2x black templars upgrade kit

and I'd end up with:

10 Wolf Scouts
20 Blood Claws
20 Grey Hunters
2 Drop Pods
and 2 Sets worth of black Templar upgrades.

The thing is, I am completely unaware of the differences between Blood Claws+Grey Hunters VS Combat+Tactical squads.

Is getting the space wolf sprues worth it, or will the 2 black Templar upgrade kits provide me with enough upgrades to build the "regular" battleforces into a black templar army?

(additionally, if i would be fine either way, any insight into drop pod vs rhino would be appreciated... maybe that's the most important difference in the end...?)

thanks for your advice

·
Registered
260 Posts
The main problem I see with your strategy is that the SW Battleforce is not just and regular SM squad plus upgrade sprues. The Box has the same amount of sprues as two Space Wolf Pack but these sprues are dedicated SW sprues!

What this means is that the whole sprue is "Wofie". Legs have wolf marks, torsos have runes, weapons have pelts, etc...

If you really want BT, then the SM battleforce plus the BT upgrade sprues are what you're looking for.

Keep in mind that BT Codex is outdated and contradicts several 5th edition nice rules, especially the ones regarding dedicated transports and drop pods. You may want to get your hands on the SW codex and compare it to the BT and decide what fancies you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You really need to decide how many BP/CCW marines you want in your BT force.

I only needed, out of 45 marines, 5 w/ bolters. The SM pack comes with two sets of BP/CCW, and the BT upgrade sprue has 6 (really nice ones, I might add). This means that unless you want to buy an "extra" upgrade sprue, you will need to buy a set (or multiple sets) of 6 BP/CCW BT arms from a bits site, which is what I did.

I thought about using the new Space Wolf pack to make my BT, but I looked at the sprue, and it really is "wolfie," as Cowboy said. I would have had to do some serious cutting, filing, and green stuffing to make them look like anything but Space Wolves. Given the choice between an extra 7 bucks for the set of BP/CCW arms i had to order online or the hassle of all that cutting, I chose the bits.

Now, granted, this only applies if you will be running all or mainly BP/CCW marines. In the BT codex, it is my opinion that you should, but ymmv.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks guys for the info. I didn't know that the Space Wolf sprues were actually 'dedicated' sprues. I thought they'd be normal marines, just with extra bolt pistols and close combat weapons, and some extra bits to make them more wolfy. I didn't know that they were wolfy INTSEAD of normal! :p

Well, it looks like I'll have to go get the regular Battleforce then. No biggy!

I'll just equip as many boltpistol+ccw-wielding initiates as possible, and use the rest on special weapons (always come in handy in case i want to switch them out in different lists!) or bolters, for what those are worth. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
If I were you, I'd invest in some rare earth magnets and magnetize the special weapons marines so you can have 1 set for your crusader squads and just swap out the weapons as you see fit. I do that with a lot of my models. My Scouts are all like that so I can kit them out as I want, as are all my termis and Predators. Its alot of work, but pays off in the end as I don't need to purchase the extra models to field a different variant of what I want =)

·
Slightly Right of Left
2,293 Posts
Having about 10k of Templars myself I would suggest regular marines and the templar upgrade packs, although I am not sure where they all came from but I have CCW/BP arms coming out of my ears and bits box. I swear they came out of the regular tactical squad boxes but I could be wrong about that

But stay well clear of the new space wolves, far too much GSing and shaving of details to make them look like templars. One of the things I did was pick up the Dark Angel Vets boxes cheap on ebay, really good and easy to "Templarise"

·
Eternal Crusader
1,968 Posts
I also have about 10k worth of templars, the best way to get ahold of extra ccw and bp's is to try and find the old blood claws box set. It has the generic body sprue, old space wolf accessory sprue and 10 ccw/bp sprues. Barring that Bt upgrade box gives you 10 or so sets plus power weapons and powerfists.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts