Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well. it really depends on what you want to do with your army. Do you want to have a mass of transports and tanks for a mechanized templar force or do you want to go the way I did and get a footslogging horde army with 100 marines charging across the board. Either way, always give each of crusaders bp's and ccw, one w/pf and one w/melta in each squad. If you want to go shooty and give them long range weapons, just burn your templar codex and go regular marines.

·
Registered
275 Posts
First off, we must understand, black templars will always fail in comparison to space wolves at equal points.
Space wolves will cut a swathe through the templars like no other close quarter battle experts in the game.
Now that that is out of the way...

KIDDING!!! Don't take too seriously, bro!

OK. If there is one thing I know about Black Templars, it is the decent cost of thier numbers points wise.
You say Mech or Mixed. I would agree with mixed, but mechanized templars do it for me also.

For all comer's type of approach, I've seen templars get cut to ribbons by being to slow.

The hidden power fist and melta combo is the norm for good reason. The melta doesn't get hot and any really big and scary close combat is best to handle with a hidden power fist or twin lightning claws.

The land raider crusader is YOUR tank. I have yet to assemble the one i picked up for my wolves. Crusader Crusader Crusader. :p Once you have one crusader and some core marines with the power fist/melta combo, it is time to look at greater support. Marines may not be the best for maneuvering in 40K but they can out maneuver a lot of enemies if they are kitted out jsut right.
Take advantage of the codex. Increase your numbers and maneuverability. You are already taking a space marine based list, your model count is already low.

I find 1 or two drop pods do wonders for supporting an advance by blocking LOS or landing behind the enemy to cause panic-like situations.

Bold IN YOUR FACE maneuvers in early game is key to a "fluffy" black templar army effectively crippling the enemies ability to fight and survive!
Black Templars are definitely a very mech friendly list. I'd say heavier on transports though.

2 to 3Rhinos
1 LR Crusader
1 to 2 Drop Pod(s)

·
Registered
185 Posts
With Templars close combat is your best tactic, Arm your regular Marines with A chain sword and Bolter Pistol and make sure you've crammed alot of scouts into your sqauds, these willl provide your men with cannon fodder fo you can take the scouts out of your sqauds when you take losses rather than your Space Marines, also make sure you have atleast 1 melta in each sqaud, these will provide your men with cover from veichles.

One other thing...Buy a Crusader!

·
Registered
263 Posts
How viable are non-mechanized BT armies? I was wanting to do an infantry heavy army and just trudge up the field in the face of enemy fire (well ideally skulking in the bushes until the moment is right) Are rhinos and so on really that necessary?

·
Registered
275 Posts
It, as always, depends. Do what you want. We're just trying to suggest effective and competitive stuff. Foot sloggin black templars could do it. Really don't want to mess up maneuvers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.