Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

we are going to face a lot of expierenced CSM and Nids armies in our casual 1000 points tournament. Special characters are prohibited. Battle field 4x4. So what do you think about the following armylist:

HQ1
CCS - 50
MoO - 30

HQ2
CCS - 50
MoO - 30

Troops
Vets - 70
3x GL -15
Chimera - 55 - multilaser, HB

Vets - 70
2x GL - 10

Fast Attack
Vendetta - 130

Heavy Support
Manticore - 160

LRBT -150
LC -15

LRBT -150
LC -15

The idea is to place as much Ordnance Blasts as possible before enemy reaches us.

Thanks,
WL&BL

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
First, this belongs in the list forum. Second, I think you would be better off with a decent all-comers list than trying to tailor a gimmick list for just these two opponents.

Post 666!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody navigating us to the right place for army lists!

SandWyrm: Idea to discuss following army list is rather practical than theoretical. Our opponents are commanding only these armies and we do not expect other races on our battlefields in near future. Usually CSM takes 2 DP, defilers, obliterators, berzerkers, etc. Nids take Trygon, Hive Tyrants, Warriors, etc. So we are planning to avoid close contact with enemy and blast them before they reach our lines. HQ's acts as long range artilery. Veterans are comming from reserve via Vendetta and /or Chimera.

Thank you for comments,
WL&BL

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
HQ:
I'd only take 1 HQ at these points. You need the additional scoring units. MoO to be honest isn't that great. He's seriously innacurate and at these points you probably wont be facing hoards. Ditch the MoOs. Ditch one CCS and use the points for something else and give your CCS some guns. Don't waste that BS4 and if you an give them a Chimera.

TROOPS:
If you're going to be facing alot of Marines and Nids you're going to be wanting some high strength low AP weapons in your lists. Vets with G-Launchers wont be much use to you at all.
Grab some decent special weapons for taking out Marines and big tyranid beasties. Plasma guns are perfect for tqaking down Marines/Terminators and big Tyranid Creatures. Melta guns are good for Instant killing Obliterators and the like,
Veterans work best if they're mounted up so they can deal the most hurt up close and personal. If you want troops holding back just take a normal Platoon with some heavy weapons.

FAST:

Good.

HEAVY:
Manticores are fun and great against hoards.

Lema Russ are fine. Lascannons on Hulls aren't brilliant for the points. I'd consider taking a Demolsiher to get rid of Obliterators and the like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HQ:
I'd only take 1 HQ at these points. You need the additional scoring units. MoO to be honest isn't that great. He's seriously innacurate and at these points you probably wont be facing hoards. Ditch the MoOs. Ditch one CCS and use the points for something else and give your CCS some guns. Don't waste that BS4 and if you an give them a Chimera.

TROOPS:
If you're going to be facing alot of Marines and Nids you're going to be wanting some high strength low AP weapons in your lists. Vets with G-Launchers wont be much use to you at all.
Grab some decent special weapons for taking out Marines and big tyranid beasties. Plasma guns are perfect for tqaking down Marines/Terminators and big Tyranid Creatures. Melta guns are good for Instant killing Obliterators and the like,
Veterans work best if they're mounted up so they can deal the most hurt up close and personal. If you want troops holding back just take a normal Platoon with some heavy weapons.

FAST:

Good.

HEAVY:
Manticores are fun and great against hoards.

Lema Russ are fine. Lascannons on Hulls aren't brilliant for the points. I'd consider taking a Demolsiher to get rid of Obliterators and the like.
Lord Borak: one more rule in that tournament is that all units are scoring units. Let's analyze your proposed drop of additional HQ, both MoOs and all 5 Grenade Launchers saving total 135 points. Options for weapons of "high strengh and low ap" (s6 ap3 or better) which almost fit into these points are Democharges, Soulstorm (110points), EarthShaker (125points) and DevilDog w/Multimelta (135points). Democharge is singleshot, even if both vetsquads will take them, they don't seem reliable MC/tank/obliterators killers. Which one of remaining 3 options could make more harm for enemies: Soulstorm (embarked existing Chimera), EarthShaker and DevilDog w/Multimelta ?

WL&BL

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
All units are scoring units? That would have been handy to know when you posted your list ;) Are there any other rules we should know about that led to your army composition?

Well, dropping all those bits. With that 115pts I would buy Your CCS and your Foot Veteran Squad a Chimera. That leaves you a measly 5pts to play with. I'd also drop the Lascannons on the Leman Russ giving you some extra points for some Melta guns and what not.

CCS - 4 G-Launchers, Chimera - 125pts (or 2 Melta guns)

Vets - 3 Melta Guns, Chimera - 155pts

Vendetta- 130pts
Vendetta- 130pts

Leman Russ - 150pts
Leman Russ - 150pts

You've got enough AP2, enough long range and enough Blast and 3 H-Flamers to deal with hoards. It doesn't have your Manticore though. I would have prefered to have had Demolishers isntead of the Leman Russ but hey there wern't enough ponts.
Another option open to you would be to ditch a Chimera or Two and use the Vendettas as Troop Transports for the Vets Giving you some points to fit more stuff in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All units are scoring units? That would have been handy to know when you posted your list ;) Are there any other rules we should know about that led to your army composition?

Well, dropping all those bits. With that 115pts I would buy Your CCS and your Foot Veteran Squad a Chimera. That leaves you a measly 5pts to play with. I'd also drop the Lascannons on the Leman Russ giving you some extra points for some Melta guns and what not.

CCS - 4 G-Launchers, Chimera - 125pts (or 2 Melta guns)

Vendetta- 130pts
Vendetta- 130pts

Leman Russ - 150pts
Leman Russ - 150pts

You've got enough AP2, enough long range and enough Blast and 3 H-Flamers to deal with hoards. It doesn't have your Manticore though. I would have prefered to have had Demolishers isntead of the Leman Russ but hey there wern't enough ponts.
Another option open to you would be to ditch a Chimera or Two and use the Vendettas as Troop Transports for the Vets Giving you some points to fit more stuff in.
Lord Borak: looks like we came back to "chimeltas" army concept. Though such army has to operate at close range with enemy. The danger of close combat increases significantly, because IG isn't champion in that subject. Our first list was an attempt to develop army organization which could avoid close contact. Maybe it is mission impossible...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
There are plenty of lists that don't revolve around getting close, I've posted a couple myself, but to think that you won't get in close range/close combat is an improbable situation. You've got to learn to sacrifice a unit for the greater good (ugh, I'm tau now, aren't I?). Veteran squads with demo packs and Meltas USUALLY kill the enemy unit they're going up against. Yes, they'll be in close range, but they'll probably kill the enemy they're shooting at.

If you want to design a list around never getting to close range, I've got a few on here. Mostly, it consists of two infantry platoons, with autocannons on the squads, and heavy bolters on the PCS. Two veteran squads with melta guns. Vendettas, Demolishers, and Sentinels with Autocannons.

It's got a ton of Ac shots, lots of grenade launcher shots, lots of las cannon shots, and lots of S10AP2 deathy goodness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts