Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I was wondering whether equiping my canoness with a blessed weapon or an eviscerator would work best. Currently, she has a bolt pistol, jumpback, cloak and a book, and role is mostly for IC hunting. I have been running her with a M.C'd Evisc for a few games now, and find that she hits rather hard, but doesn't last very long. I guess a blesssed weapon would be more suited to the task, but the Evisc would give her the option to hunt some armour. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Blessed

i normally run her with the blessed she can hunt those independent charcters and go at initiative (which is good) and even if she has to hit armor she can hit the back and still do some damage,also she has an inferno pistol... what more do you want?

i just won against DA on tuesday with almost pure sororitas w/ contigent of Arco's which scared my opponent half to death

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
Blessed Weapon + Inferno Pistol is obviously the most versatile build, but she's starting to get pretty expensive at that point. I usually go with an eviscerator. The characters you'll be 'hunting' have better initiative anyway, so you're still consuming faith to go first. For two faith points, I'd rather be invulnerable and inflict instant death on a T4 char than be invulnerable and hit first. Plus the eviscerator is inflicting instant death on eldar and other such vistims stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments so far! Yup, i guess Blessed weap and IP would be the most versatile build, but i'll have to agree with InquisitorAffe. If she were going to strike after, i'd rather have her hitting at str 8.
Any other thoughts/experiences to share?

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
The point difference is so small, that it almost comes down to your most likely enemy, and the rest of your list. Both are very nice weapons.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I mainly use BW as I mostly need the initiative, giving her a melta bomb makes a bit more AA as I cannot afford an IP. Never actually thought of the idea of insta-killin' those T4, maybe something I'll need to try, had some weird memory of it not working but when checking the rules I realized it's legal. My SM-playing friends will hate me even more :). But I think the weapon choice depends on your field of usage, if you want to character hunt I think the Eviscerator is a better chioce, mine is mainly a mobile back-up module for my Seras.

·
Master of Those Damn Durable Swords
646 Posts
I typically run BW and either IP or BP. This I feel is the most solid setup. If you need her to take out vehicles, she has the IP and/or Meltabombs. If you want her to go toe-to-toe with a fairly strong baddy she can jack up her strength even more. When she does this, she the Evi barely beats her out strength wise. ANd of couse, let's not forget the awesome power to raise your initiative and strike first against a good amount of enemies.

For me the BW is much more versatile, for with it she can take on rank/file troops, or go after specialized elites and HQs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input so far, from what i gather so far, BW allows the canoness more flexibility, while the Evisc is great for taking down armour, and high I low T ICs. I guess i'll run her with the BW against things like Necrons, and a MC'd Evisc against enemies like eldar.
More thoughts/suggestions still welcome though

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't know if you'd want to run Evisc against Eldar, especially if you're planning on hitting vehicles... Eldar vehicles are mostly skimmers, which are very hard to hit in cc. You would be better off shooting them with your IP. Plus you probably want to hit those pesky farseers before they hit you. Whichblades can be very dangerous to ICs.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Here's how I look at the Evis.
The Cannoness can make good use of both weapons, but I'd favor the BW on Cannoness.

I find that I prefer the Evis in squads, where it has a larger effective range (because it can allocate through fellow squad models within 2" and are in B2B, and into more than one enemy unit), plus the Evis has a longer life in a squad than on a Character, so the Init1 is less of an issue.

So my advice is to make sure that your Seraphim Vets (most armies have at least one) each get an Evis, and that your Celestians get one (a Celestian squad w/ vet & Evis in CC can be a beautiful thing to watch).

That puts 2-3 Eviscerators in your army. So you really don't need more.
The Seraphim use their Evis as a weapon of opportunity (to bust open enemy vehicles that get in their range), and put an extra black eye into enemy squads whom they charged, while the Celestians use the Evis to put a few bangs into whatever enemy CC machine threatens to grind through your middle or rear lines.

I often use the Cannoness with jump pack and BW as a lone-wolf to road-block enemy squads and essentially "rob" them of a movement phase and a shooting phase, to better enable me to isolate and destroy enemy units. Or she can hold them for one turn, while I get other units in to charge or whatever.

·
Master of Those Damn Durable Swords
646 Posts
That and a BW with initiative boost will allow you to either strike first against most Eldar enemies, or st least, simultaneously.

·
Registered
111 Posts
im right

exactly everybody knows that im right and blessed weapons are the best ... nobody expects a girl to have more strength than a space marine

Here's how I look at the Evis.
The Cannoness can make good use of both weapons, but I'd favor the BW on Cannoness.

I find that I prefer the Evis in squads, where it has a larger effective range (because it can allocate through fellow squad models within 2" and are in B2B, and into more than one enemy unit), plus the Evis has a longer life in a squad than on a Character, so the Init1 is less of an issue.

So my advice is to make sure that your Seraphim Vets (most armies have at least one) each get an Evis, and that your Celestians get one (a Celestian squad w/ vet & Evis in CC can be a beautiful thing to watch).

That puts 2-3 Eviscerators in your army. So you really don't need more.
The Seraphim use their Evis as a weapon of opportunity (to bust open enemy vehicles that get in their range), and put an extra black eye into enemy squads whom they charged, while the Celestians use the Evis to put a few bangs into whatever enemy CC machine threatens to grind through your middle or rear lines.

I often use the Cannoness with jump pack and BW as a lone-wolf to road-block enemy squads and essentially "rob" them of a movement phase and a shooting phase, to better enable me to isolate and destroy enemy units. Or she can hold them for one turn, while I get other units in to charge or whatever.
;Y

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, it seems that most here are in favour of the BW canoness, and rightfully so, based on your reasonings. However, my gripe would be that the canoness, with a WS of 4 would probably not land too many hits on an enemy IC, or even some heavier infantry; which was the reason i had decided to run her with an evisc, to instant-kill those ICs (which, apparently, doesn't happen too often as it turns out)
Which sort of begs the question: should the canoness hunt ICs? Or would she perform better doing what seraphims do? (Sorry for sidetracking a little)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sno,

You're not sidetracking in the least.
Character-Hunting is one of the purposes of the Evis.

I view Character-Hunting as a situation of passive opportunity.
Seraphim can optionally tag an IC if the situation calls it.
Or bring forward the Celestian Vet with the Evis if some IC menace hits your lines.

On the Cannoness having WS4, I think you're right.
My Cannoness whiffs a lot, even with the BW's re-roll.
When that happens to me, I view it as me having using her incorrectly.

HOW NOT TO USE HER:
You can't throw her at a crowd of Marines expecting a good result.
You can expect a marginal result.

CC COMPARISONS:
Note that the statline of a Vet Celestian is very near in CC skill.
(And "preferred enemy" is probably going to get a slight boost in 5th ed, with
rerolls instead of autohit on 3s, which is about 8.3% more hits per Celestian).

Even a Death Cult Assasin, costing only 10 points more than the Blessed Weapon,
does about the same level of damage in CC, and has the natural I5 in CC,
and is treated as a base 3 attacks (because the DCA has 2 CC weapons & gets +1 A in CC).

CANNONESS ROLE:
Sometimes I leave the Blessed Weapon at home, and just give the Cannoness
a Stormbolter and PW, leaving the CC duties to the rest of the gang.

Sometimes I leave the Jump Pack at home, and utilize the Cannoness in a
Celestian squad with her Blessed Weapon to give it more CC teeth, and
actually have the prospect of winning a Close Combat.

SUM:
I don't think there's a huge difference in your Cannoness in terms of
statistical effectiveness of her tools. She has a few special tricks that
can be exploited, but the profitable exploits don't come cheap or easy.

The most consistent thing I can say from my experience is that I can usually
exploit the Jump Pack to achieve a tactical initiative, and the 2+/3+ Invuln
option gives you some control over when she dies.

It's almost like her charge = a free automatic Pin of the squad she charged.

Her offensive capabilities are intense, but narrow.
Her defensive/blocking capabilities are a little more broad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts