Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a 9 man squad of Blood Angel Devastators. These have been painted to a high game standard.

As always comments, critiques, criticism is always appreciated!

Cheers,

-Mike

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Not much to say here really slorak, they look nice enough as a squad, everything is neat and tidy etc, but I've certainly seen you produce more inspiring work.

My favorite bit is definately the knee icon (squad marking, isn't it?). This looks great, and really shows off your skills.

Presumably these were a commission? I'm sure your client will be very happy with them,

-t.

edit: Just out of interest, why are there 9? I thought BAs came in squads of 5 or 10 now-a-days...

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah they were a commission. All the blood angel stuff I have done over the last year and a half has been towards his army. Not sure why there are only nine. I painted up a couple of others for his devastator squad some months ago but I believe that would take the total to 11 or so...

Yeah the kneepads and other icons are all decals. I had to modify a dark angel transfer to fit the devastator icon in the right direction (according to Insignium Astartes at any rate).

Bases are fairly basic but it fits the theme of his army. My main goal when painting game quality figures is to spend a little extra time picking out little details that add interest. For example - faces, lenses, knee and shoulderpads, etc.

One day I will get back into my own stuff! ;) I have more chaos stuff sitting around waiting for me to finish and paint them! :)

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nice work!

But... One note: Doesn't BA sergeants have black shoulder pads with a red trim?

And one more thing, but that migth be just me: To me they look a little pinkish. It migth be that the photograph doesn't make them justice. I also find some of the GW studio BA's slightly pinkish i colour...

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could be wrong but I thought it was veteran sergeants that had the black shoulderpads... I did paint up a few a while back for this army. At any rate - they were painted up to the specifications of the client. That is a good point though and I will go back and look into it.

The reds are basically blood angel red with a light brown glaze and then re-highlighted with blood angel red. Most likely it is the pictures... ;)

Cheers,

-Mike

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
I'm not sure that the sergeant's face looks right, I think it's the eyes. Of course if the client likes them it's all that matters. The purity seals look a bit heavy handed too but that is more of a stylistic thing.
It's a good clean squad; out of interest how long did it take you and in what region do you charge?

·
Registered
121 Posts
On the shoulder pads, the rim needs to be differentiated from the rest of the shoulder pad...it just looks off right now. Even if it's just a darker shade of red, it'll make it look 200% better. Right now it looks like a kid did that part and got bored so he didn't bother finishing it.

edit: I know this sounds harsh, but you did say high quality standard, and that's how I'll judge it.

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I usually paint an hour or 2 a few nights a week. These guys probably took about 10-16 hours total. Decals probably took the longest. Not sure about the eyes. He is definitely not cross eyed. Probably the angle his head is facing. Purity seals are definitely stylistic. I like the idea of crammed devotive writing. I will usually include it whenever I can. To me it helps capture the gothic feel. These guys however are pretty vanilla.

I am in the US and charge US dollars. I have taken clients internationally though. Thanks for your comments!

@Jak3_dude - all of the armor crevices including the shoulderpad rims have a light brown ink glaze on them. The rims in person stand out enough to where you don't question wether it is shaded or not. I admit that while my picture taking is much improved over what it used to be the color correction in photoshop probably washed out quite a bit. Looking at the pictures I can still see the brown in the recess so I am really not sure what you are talking about. Thanks for the comments though.

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Registered
121 Posts
@Jak3_dude - all of the armor crevices including the shoulderpad rims have a light brown ink glaze on them. The rims in person stand out enough to where you don't question wether it is shaded or not. I admit that while my picture taking is much improved over what it used to be the color correction in photoshop probably washed out quite a bit. Looking at the pictures I can still see the brown in the recess so I am really not sure what you are talking about. Thanks for the comments though.

Cheers,

-Mike
I guess I'll have to take your word on their shoulder pads. I can see some shading in the pics, but as you said, the photoshop'ing must have messed with the colours a bit.

Anyway, other than that they really are great.

Face is really well done.:D

·
Senior Citizen
719 Posts
IMO they look great, for a standard squad to be used for gaming I imagine your client is going to be laughing his ar## off when he opens this.
I particularly like the SGT's face, loads of character.

My first ever army was Blood Angels (still got them somewhere) and I went to a lot of trouble to get all the unit markings correct for the time (a long time ago). Since then there have been some excellent reference books for getting some consistency to that side of the hobby and from what I can tell these guys have all the right insignia for 10th Squad, Second company (the rims of the shoulder pads are spot on). The only thing I would change is the SGT's shoulder pads. Yellow insignia on a black background, the rims stay the same colour.

Hope this is of some help.

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can i ask why you choose to wash the armour in ink? Was it a specific effect, technique you were aiming for?
To be honest the biggest reason for the brown ink glaze (and it was heavily thinned) was to give a quick "dirtyness" to the armor without major need of shading. These are gaming pieces first and formost so my emphasis was in neatness first, simple color pattern with the small details picked out to add visual appeal. I think the glaze managed to do what I wanted it to do. Definitely not a showcase figure by any means but it was quick and works.

They are painted exactly like all the other blood angel stuff I have done (all belonging to the same person) with the exception of the others being sprayed on with blood angel red and these guys brushed on with blood angel red. Definitely tabletop standard.

Cheers,

-Mike

·
LO Zealot
1,173 Posts
To be honest the biggest reason for the brown ink glaze (and it was heavily thinned) was to give a quick "dirtyness" to the armor without major need of shading. These are gaming pieces first and formost so my emphasis was in neatness first, simple color pattern with the small details picked out to add visual appeal. I think the glaze managed to do what I wanted it to do. Definitely not a showcase figure by any means but it was quick and works.

They are painted exactly like all the other blood angel stuff I have done (all belonging to the same person) with the exception of the others being sprayed on with blood angel red and these guys brushed on with blood angel red. Definitely tabletop standard.

Cheers,

-Mike
Certainly makes the armour appear dirty, so jobs a good one. Well done mate.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
Looks good! I was never so fond of the blood angel devie's paint scheme, but i like the darker blue helmets you've given them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.