Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've been away from these forums for quite some time but am pleased to see the standard of advice is still very high. i could do with some help with the following for a tournament o be held in two weeks but as i need to build/paint some of the things that appear in the lists a speedy response would be much appreciated.

tournament will consist of three games played at gamma level missions to be : Cleanse, Recon and Secure and control. Other Armies competing include mech Tau, Eldar, Tyranids, Guard(3 russ), 2x chaos and marines.

there are two possible lists I'm kicking about so without further ado;

HQ:Chaplin - jump pack, melta bombs = 125pts

ELITES: 7x Death company - jump packs = 125pts
6x veteran assault marines - flamer, melta gun, pair of lightening claws = 220pts
6x veteran assault marines - flamer, melta gun, thunder hammer =220pts

TROOPS: 10x Tactical Marines - power fist, plasma gun, Rhino transport =270pts
10x Tactical Marines - power fist, plasma gun, Rhino transport =270pts

FAST: Attack bike - multi melta =50pts
Attack bike -multi melta = 50pts
Attack bike -multi melta = 50pts

HVY: Baal predator - hvy bolter sponsons =125pts
Baal predator - hvy bolter sponsons =125pts
5x Devastators - 4x missile launcher =195pts

TOTAL: 1825pts
this is 25pts short so I'm thinking hvy weapons in the tac sqds? but i want to keep them moving in this configuration possibly a melta bomb for the vet assault marine with the lightening claws?

any way the other list as follows:

HQ: Chaplin - jump pack =120pts

ELITES: 9x Death company - jump packs = 225pts
5x Terminator - assault cannon, chain fist = 235pts
Dreadnought - assault cannon, hvy flamer =130pts
Dreadnought - assault cannon =125pts

TROOPS: 10x Tactical Marines - Power fist, plasma gun = 230pts
10x Tactical Marines - Power weapon, melta gun, lascannon = 225pts

FAST: Landspeeder tornado - assault cannon/hvy bolter = 100pts
Landspeeder tornado - assault cannon/hvy bolter = 100pts
Landspeeder tornado - assault cannon/hvy bolter = 100pts

HVY: Baal predator - hvy bolter sponsons = 125pts
Baal predator - hvy bolter sponsons = 125pts

TOTAL:1850

you may notice the rending theme in this seconed list.....
should the las cannon in the tac sqd be dropped for a missile launcher in each? or is the single higher strength lower ap shot preferable?

which of these two lists would you use for the tournament described above? would you take neither?
is there a happy medium to be struck between the two or am i completely off the beaten track?

any and all comments welcome. My thanks for wading though this post, and in advance for your replies.:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
First off, take Chaplain Lemartes in either list. He is one of the many no brainers we get with our new list. 5 extra points over a regular chaplain with jump pack for what you gain is fantastic.

In the first list, I prefer 8 man veteran assault squads over 6 man, but give them a shot. It is a fantastic unit. One thing to note though: two power weapons cost the same as a single pair of lightning claws and is flat out better. Only purchase the claws if you have already maxed out your power weapon options (in which case the unit is probably going to be a bit too expensive for my liking).

The tactical squads should each have a heavy weapon. It gives them a lot more flexability, as they can sit on or near objectives and fire at armored units from long range. Missile launchers are cheap, but for for lascannons if you can afford them. Conversely, your devastators are going to start losing heavy weapons as soon as they start to take casualties, as all but one of them are armed. In general, you only want about half of the marines in a devastator squad to have heavy weapons. Since the missile launchers in the devastator squad are the same price as a lascannon in a tactical squad, you could remove two missile launchers in the devastators for a lascannon in each tactical squad. For the same amount of points, you get to upgrade two missile launchers to two lascannons, get to fire at multiple targets, and drastically increase the survivability of your heavy weapon marines!

I liked the first list a lot more than the second one. A few things on the second list: dreadnaughts are overpriced in our new codex. For what you are spending on them, they really are not terribly worth it. I was going to say that the terminators were out of place, as the rest of the list is fairly fast, but then I realized the tactical squads had no transports! Always put your tactical squads in transports. There are a lot of fast armies out there, and a lack of transports will leave you out maneuvered by many opponents. They also can provide protection for the unit inside, as well as units behind it when it is used to block LOS. Again, the first tactical squad should have a heavy weapon. Finally, point for point the attack bikes are better than the land speeders. In fact, they are one of the best units that we have.

Hope my thoughts have helped some. Good luck.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
At 1850, i see no reason to field heavy support with BAs. Between 3 squads of veteran JP marines, an honor guard, death company, lemartes, and 3 JP assault squads, plus 3 multi melta attack bikes, there just is no room for heavy support... <--Hint.

·
Inquisitorial Aspirant
452 Posts
Personally, I've never liked the assault heavy Blood Angels. I've faced 'em a few times and won easily with my balanced blood angels. Our assault units are better so we don't need more than others, we need more fire support.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think i'm inclined to agree that as our assault troops are better than most we can afford to take some fire support.

also i can't see the all assault army working against some of the armies i could face at this tournament; tyranids and mech tau both present problems.

i think on reflection that i'll be taking : chaplin + 7 death company (jumpacks)

Captain to join a 7 man vetren assault sqd ( 2x melta, 1x thunder hammer)

whirlwind

baal predator

and from this piont on i'm not all that sure.....

probably three troops choices: poss 2x ten tactical sqd in rhinos, 1x 10 assault marines.

fast will probably be a land speeder tornado (assault cannon), land speeder (melta/hvy flamer), attack bike(melta).

this tournament is getting close now and i still havn't made all that many concrete decisions so any futer advice or suggestions would be very much appreciatted

many thanks

·
Inquisitorial Aspirant
452 Posts
I think you're moving in the right direction. Don't underestimate Tactical Squads in Rhinos as assault units. They're still marines and with a fist they can beat up on most things in the game. You'd be surprised what a VAS can do after thier target has been rapid fired on as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.