Librarium Online Forums banner

Can you assault out of DA and BA drop pods?

• Yes

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 51 87.9%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the new Blood Angels and Dark Angels codeces, the drop pod entry makes no mention of being unable to assault out of them. In fact, it describes them just as open-topped, immobile vehicles that enter by deep strike and force disembarkation.

So can the Blood Angels and Dark Angels assault out of their drop pods? That might explain the fact that they cost almost twice as much, but (especially with terminators) it can seem a little overpowered. I know that on 40kforums.com the general consensus is that it was an oversight on GW's part, but I wanted to get a more diverse opinion.

·
655 Posts
Not to be a jerk, and ruin your poll, but you've checked to see if this question is addressed in the Blood Angels Errata/PDF on the GW website, right? I admit that GW doesn't often update with FAQs, but this one is pretty major.

If you do download it (for free), I would particularly point you to this part of the PDF (the last question on page 27):

Q. Can Blood Angels units assault in the turn they disemarked from a Drop Pod?
A. No, as units that enter the battle by Deep Strike cannot assault in the turn they arrive.

GW has made it pretty clear that they cannot assault after drop podding. No poll is really needed for the BA. Perhaps you could argue the DA are different because they are not FAQed... but not in any convincing manner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're not being a jerk - that's exactly what I was hoping for. I just didn't realize that they'd get a FAQ so soon after getting their updated codex.

·
655 Posts
Tell me about it. I was shocked when I found the PDF... I mean, it was released about 1 month after the "codex" for the BAs.

I've only been waiting for two years for a good BT FAQ... sigh...

Glad to be of service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I remember correctly, in the rules somewhere it specifically makes a parenthetical note that 'despite the fact that drop pods are open topped you may not assault out of them on the turn you deep strike.' It also says elsewhere that 'units must immediately disembark from a drop pod the turn it enters play.'

So, hypothetically, the turn after you deep strike you could get back in the drop pod and then assault out of it the turn after that. Though you could do that even if it wasn't open topped because they can't move in the first place. So all the open topped rule does is make them easier to blow up, should you opponent choose to take the time to shoot at an immobilized drop pod.

·
991 Posts
I think it is universally understood (dangerous term there, I know) that you can't assault from drop pods and I would look askance at any DA player who said HE could because HIS codex doesn't say he can't.

·
991 Posts
The second to the last post in that thread was by Valerian and he quoted Jervis Johnson and here is a copy of it:

Quote:
Q: Can troops that take a Drop Pod as a dedicated transport vehicle set up in it in reserve?

A: Yes they can (along with any Independent Characters that have joined the unit and can fit in the vehicle). They must enter play in the Drop Pod, disembarking as described in the Drop Pod unit entry, and counting as a Deep Striking unit on the turn they arrive (so they can shoot but not assault).
Note that one reserve roll is made each turn to see if the Drop Pod arrives, and if it does so then all embarked units must enter play with it.

Best regards,

Jervis Johnson Unquote:

Here Jervis is saying they can not assault. In that 5-page thread you referenced, during most of the posts the general consensus seemed to lean toward assaulting from DP, but the final quote from Jervis seemed to lay that to rest. Is this not so?

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
As the answer has been provided this poll no longer serves a purpose and to prevent further "poll bumping" it is now closed.

Skar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.