Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I've decided after my eldar that the Blood Angels were a great army to create my own chapter. They're fast aggressive and I love the models. Anyways I've decided to run a rather elite lower model count DoA army that should fare pretty well. After I post everything ill explain the strategy and accept and welcome any and all hints tips tricks strategies criticisms or whatever. Thanks.

HQ-
- Sanguinor-275

- Lord Commander "insert chapter master" - 225

Elite-
- 2x Sanguinary Priests- 150
- Jet packs

- Furioso Dreadnought- 125
- claws or frag cannon? Or fist?

- Sanguinary Guard (scoring)- 250
- chapter banner
- Infernus pistol
- Powerfist

Troops-
- 3x 10 assault marines-675
-Powerfist
- Meltagun

Heavy support-
-Stormraven Gunship-230
-TL Multimelta
-TL Lascannon the weapons are swapped not purchased.
-extra armour
-locator beacon

That leaves 70 extra points which I've used 2 options for
1. Take 3rd Sanguinary Priest for 75 points. Drop ASM power fist for 25 more. Take power weapon and melta bombs.

2. Take librarian upgrade for the furioso. Powers??? Take extra Infernus for the SG and add a Meltagun to a ASM squad. Either plan ends with 2000 points exactly.

Plan. Dante with either a ASM squad or the SG. Put either the SG or the sanguinor inside the stormraven. Possibly keep one ASM in reserves and use the locator beacon for reliable DS. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hey guys after reviewing the list I've been wondering if dropping an Assault squad or even half of one would benefit me by bringing another killing unit to the table? Perhaps a Baal predator? Any thoughts? Perhaps I should trade out one of the ASM squads for another SG squad? Put Dante with the chapter banner squad. Put the other SG in the raven with a priest?

Edit: Debating taking more SG. Also due to the fact that most of my units
Will be in reserves I can choose to put the priests with the squads that will benefit the most from their chalice. Mainly the SG and others who haven't succumbed to the red thirst.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New list. Possibly better or worse.

HQ-
- Sanguinor-275

- Lord Commander "Corvus"-225

Elites-
- Sanguinary Priest x 2-150
- Jump packs

- Furioso Librarian-175
- powers?? Wings/(shield,rage,lance?)

Troops-
- Sanguinary Guard-250 goes with Lord Commander Corvus
-Chapter Banner
-Powerfist
-Infernus Pistol

- Sanguinary Guard-230
-Powerfist
-Infernus Pistol x 2

- 10 Assault Marines-235
-Powerfist
-Meltagun x 2

- 10 Assault Marines-230
-Power weapon
-melta bombs
-Meltagun x 2

Heavy Support-
- Stormraven Gunship-230
-TL Lascannon
-TL Multi-melta
-4 Bloodstrike missiles
-Locator beacon
-extra armor

Total-2000

Put Commander with the SG and banner as a drop in and pop a tank. May take one of the pistols from the other SG and give it to them. Better chances to pop the tank or whatever hard hitting unit and the 3 inches wont be a problem on the deep strike due to tactical precision. Put the furioso and the other SG and a priest in the Stormraven. Head for the middle objective or just start killing their stronger or more vital units. The other assault squads are just objective grabbers/fodder/transport poppers.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Is this a one-man thread? :)

There are three major faults here. The worst is having only one medium-armor vehicle in a 2000 point game, one that is loaded out to 1/3 the value of your entire army and probably the only target on the table for Turn 1. (I don't count the Dread since it's a passenger.)

You have too many points invested in your HQ. Dante+SG is an expensive enough combination that Sanguinor isn't worth his cost; too many upgrades only results in diminishing returns. In fact, Dante+SG isn't the best of combinations anyway. Maxed-out, frontline shock troops are unlikely to survive the entire game so there's no point in making them scoring. Could you alter your fluff to include a different character? If not Sanguinor himself then maybe Seth or a simple Reclusiarch?

Lastly, the list needs support firepower. All deepstrikers have trouble against non-weakened targets. The SR won't be shooting if it's trying to manage an alpha-strike.

One thing you might do, if you like the idea of Storm Ravens, is bring two of them, keep 'em cheap and use a combat-squadded Tactical for passengers. The idea here is you're using the SRs as your 'gunline'...a role that gives them the longevity that alpha-strike tactics never will. Expend their one-shots immediately and, once your DoA units arrive, they're likely to get ignored until the late game.

Another idea is to combine your Assault Troops with a mechanized element, no SR. Two Razorbacks and a Land Raider with elite passengers makes a nice complement to a DoA list. They bring the needed firepower and the LR provides a Turn 2 charge. The only other way to get that is Vanguard and they're less reliable. (This is the best choice if you want to employ a Furioso.)

A third idea is going all-infantry, using Terminators instead of tanks or Dreads. Shooty Termies with Priests can be real assets on the ground. They're the same price as Sanguinary Guard but have much better equipment. Lower speed isn't a handicap when they have shooting to do.

Generally, there is little synergy between Dreadnoughts and DoA tactics. Drop Pod tactics make Dreads more viable but that would be a real change of pace from what you currently have.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah I kinda write things out to keep my thoughts in line. It helps me think. You should see my notebook of all the lists I have. There's about 50 eldar ones too. I have minor OCD lol. And I can drop one of either Sanguinor or Dante. I'm impartial to using the SG as troops or using Assault Marines. My previous list went as such.... Not in full detail

Sanguinor
priests with JP
SG with banner Infernus and fist
Furioso w/ extra armour
30 assault marines. Each with Infernus and fist.
10 tactical with rhino MM and flamer
Rhino
Stormraven with MM LC locator beacon and extra armour
Baal predator with nothing.
Total 1995

I'm fine with dropping the sanguinor or Dante. I may run the first list for fun still with friends but you're right about the raven being destroyed first turn. 2 stormravens is out of immediate price range model wise. But perhaps I can add some mech to the doa list?

Also the dread was there for cover save psychic
Hood and it fit with the raven. But I could probably spend the points elsewhere in a better manner. Is it possible to do a full DoA list? Or is it better to add facets of mech?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright. My brother and the local hobby group have decided to set the end goal at 2500 points. So I'm thinking of doing a all infantry list like you said. And maybe throw in a Baal or a vindicator. I'll drop the raven and grab terminators? And then 500 more points... At 2500 I'll definitely keep Dante to make the SG into troops. Am I better off going all infantry or grabbing a second stormraven? I can get it of necessary. I have old models to sell anyways. So maybe with the 500 grab a raven and some terminators. Keep or drop the dread? Exchange dread for devastators or maybe bikes or even a predator. Grr OCD sucks. So many options. Next weekend may become a proxy festival.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Alrighty here comes the 2500 list. In the event that I need to drop down to 2000 lemme know your thoughts.

HQ
- Sanguinor-275

- Lord Commander "Corvus"-225

Elites
- 5 Terminators-240
-Cyclone/Assault cannon??
-2 Chainfists

- 3 Sanguinary Priests
- 2 x Jetpacks 3rd will go with terminators

- Furioso Dreadnought-135
-Heavy flamer. Talons or fists or frag?

Troops
- Sanguinary Guard-260 DS with Dante and pop tank/enemy death star
-Chapter Banner
-2x Infernus pistols
-power fist

- Sanguinary Guard-230
-2x Infernus pistols
-power fist
Am I better with 2 fists and one pistol?

- 10 Assault Marines-240
-2x Meltagun
-Power fist
-Meltabombs

- 10 Assault Marines-235
-2x Meltagun
-Power fist

Heavy Support
-2x Stormraven Gunship-2x230-460
-TL Lascannons/Multimeltas
-Locator Beacon
-Extra Armour

Total 2500.

Dante with SG and priest to pop tank/death star. Also debuffs enemy HQ. SG go in one stormraven with a priest. Terminators go in Raven with a priest. Furioso goes with one of the Ravens which? Or drop furioso and take bikes? Or drop both ravens and furioso. Take more SG. Take bikes. And take something else? I have a Baal Predator model already made. So perhaps drop dread for 135 points. And drop one Infernus for another 10. Take a baal with heavy bolter sponsons for 145. I liked your idea of all infantry and perhaps bikes as outriders. Maybe drop the ravens and the furioso for a Baal a bike librarian and some bikes/attack bikes. Or grab a land raider for the Terminators. Perhaps even death company. I've no clue. Vanguard Veterans?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So it's either the furioso and 2 ravens for 595 points

Or...

8 Bikes-295
-Attack bike
-multi melta
-flamer
-Meltagun

Land raider for terminators?
Or
5 more terminators and a assault cannon/cyclone for 230.

And finally terminator Armour for one priest -35
2 power swords for the other priests-30
Meltabombs for the other ASM squad. Thoughts? Done ranting. Sorry

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
FYI, it's against forum rules to post sequentially. Editing posts or simply allowing time for comment is the way to go.

A large bike squad is actually a very good idea for a Dante/SG-oriented list. They can provide a turn 2 charge, keeping the SG more protected from special weapons and preemptive charges. They can also transport the obligatory Priest; in fact, the Priest's benefits combine very well with a bike squad's speed and toughness as well as SGs' artificer armor.

But you will need to make a final decision at some point. Dante/SG/bikes, or Terminators/Assault squads, or going mechanized after all with Land Raider & armored outriders.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I apologize then about the sequential posts. I'll remember for the future. And i would like to go all infantry/jump infantry/bikes. So no tanks or mech. Thanks for your help by the way.

If going all infantry would you recommend nothing but SG for my troops then? Or keep some ASM for a higher model count and some melta guns. Also for all infantry/bikes. Are the terminators too slow for this list? Or would they be fine if they deep strike?

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I, personally, take a dim view of Sanguinary Guard. Their squad size is too small for close combat--two casualties from a powerfist or something and there aren't enough survivors to do anything. They have no inv. save, dying instantly to any unit with multiple no-armor attacks. They need an expensive character to be scoring. Lastly, Angelus guns and infernus pistols are no replacements for storm bolters and meltaguns. Extremely close-quarters shooting is where the risk of enemy melta/plasma guns is highest, negating their artificer armor.

Look at it this way. For 40 points, you can either get one SG or two normal Assault Marines. Both are equally durable to anti-infantry attacks but the latter is more durable against low-AP weapons, more effective against vehicles (krak grenades) and has just as many base attacks against infantry. They don't need Dante to hold objectives either and, honestly, how many power weapons do you really need?

On the whole, I'd say that a DoA/Biker hybrid list would be the most successful all-infantry theme. The combination of a Turn 2 DoA landing with a Turn 2 Biker charge with buffs from a Priest and Chaplain is excellent. Assault Terminators are too slow to be used without a Land Raider but Tactical Terminators are a nice source of support fire. Don't deepstrike them, just start them on the table and start blasting away with a cyclone launcher. Their range is good enough that walking isn't a drawback.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perhaps it would be worth it to drop Dante for a librarian. I like the SG as models so I may get one squad for fluff purposes. But perhaps honor guard are a better choice. Although the hybrid bike/DoA seems perfect. Are Death Company worth getting? Or Vanguard Veterans?Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I like the SG as models so I may get one squad for fluff purposes.
Perfectly fine. Your shock troops don't need to be scoring!

Vanguard are good choices for a DoA list but they'll probably be redundant with bikers here. Similarly, Deathco would be mostly redundant with Sanguinary Guard...and SG don't suffer mandatory movement. I have a DC element for my Drop Pod list and they tend to be an all-or-nothing inclusion. If you don't spend a lot of resources on DC then you may as well not bother. Besides, half the reason for bringing DC is unlocking DC Dreads, and we're going no-vehicle today.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Alright. If im only going to end up with 1 squad of SG then that leaves me.... 225 points for Dante and 230 points for the second SG squad. A captain fits the fluff best and i can put him on a bike. But he isnt bringing much to the table. No orbital strikes or anything like the vanilla codex has for Chapter Masters. No relic blades. Generally not as impressive. So the other option is a Librarian, a Reclusiarch, Astorath, or keeping Dante simply because of Surgical strike, the Death mask and why not make the one squad scoring. That or I take an honour guard squad? They're not a true retinue though correct? They're their own unit that can be joined by an IC. Then ill take the 230 points from the SG and make it into a Assault Squad. Would Scouts be worth taking? Mainly for the locator beacon and maybe some snipers? Or scout bikers? They would be more mobile.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I think you need to experiment in order to answer these questions. Focus on making a 1k list in the direction you currently want to go, then play around with it to build your confidence.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright. I'll toy around with the list and slowly build it upwards point wise. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts