Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Blood Angels tactica out there? If not could any current Blood Angel players give me some advice? Also anybody who wants to give advice, please.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
I've been pestering Katie to do a tactica on them, but she, like me, is far to busy. The BA codex isn't very flexible, so you may want to just look up an old list of mine, it won't actually help with the tactica part, but it will help with army comp. However the army is pretty straight forward 50 or so jump infantry models... What would you do? The real key is understanding which units should tackle what - Death company should go after dedicated assault units, with the exception of gene stealers, wyches, howling banshees and harlequins, anything which strikes first against initiative 5 models, they are also really good against MCs. VAS squads primary role should be anti infantry, where their large number of attacks will shine. Honor gaurd and attack bikes go tank hunting. 'Tactical' assault squads help with whatever needs doing - from assisting in tank hunting, to adding numbers to assaults and bringing down MCs.

Of course if I write the tactica it won't include any mechanized assistance, since I'm unable to effectively use such as army, with space marines.

Peace

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Hmm

Hmm, I think that BA style is possible even using the vanilla list so I would really enjoy a BA tactica too. Everyone loves a marine who just can't wait to meet you, up close with his plasma pistol like...

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
Hmm, I think that BA style is possible even using the vanilla list so I would really enjoy a BA tactica too. Everyone loves a marine who just can't wait to meet you, up close with his plasma pistol like...
Id caution a normal marine player thinking that a massed army of assault marines will be effective. BAs have a lot of advantages over normal marines, most notably a kill everything unit called the death company. A full squad of normal marines has no chance of removing 30 orks in a single round of close combat, but a full strength squad of Death company can.

Not that assault squads aren't good, they are, just a lot more support is needed to use them effectively for normal marines.

Peace

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Considering the inflexibility of the Angels' list and the number of "units-that-are-in-the-codex-but-that-you-don't-actually-take" units, a Blood Angels Tactica would be pretty short. :D

The chapters would be entitled:
"Chapter 1: The Blood Angels: Units You Take"
"Chapter 2: The Blood Angels: Units You Leave in the Foam Tray"
"Chapter 3: My Local GW was out of Lemartes Models. How to Win with Dante or Mephiston"
"Chapter 4: Not Close Combat Gods Anymore. Knowing When to Charge"
"Chapter 5: The Death Company and Getting the Most out of Them"
"Chapter 6: The Lists. 500, 750, 1000, 1500, 1850, and 2000 tuned points"

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
"Chapter 2: The Blood Angels: Units You Leave in the Foam Tray"
"Chapter 3: My Local GW was out of Lemartes Models. How to Win with Dante or Mephiston"
"
These two are especially hilarious. :)

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Is it really that bad?

Is it really that bad? I took a look at the list. (Bless GW for handing out a codex for free...) It doesn't seem to be full of holes or anything. I liked it. Clearly it follows the new trend in avoiding wargear and using options but I didn't read it and think, well no-one will be playing that unit anymore or anything like that.

I always thought that the reasons you played an army was the look and feel rather than the special rules...

Am I wrong?

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
I always thought that the reasons you played an army was the look and feel rather than the special rules...

Am I wrong?
No, you're not wrong. That's 80% of what a an army selection should be. I was being a little sarcastic in my attempt at humor.

However, that last twenty percent is competitiveness and choice. An army that's just not competitive is no fun to play because you know you're going to get blown off the table every time. (This is not the case here, as the BAs are plenty competitive.)

An army that offers its players no choice quickly becomes boring and monotonous. Look to the Necrons, for example. With only one Troops choice, one legitimate Elites choice, one legitimate HQ choice, Necron lists quickly become homogeneous, with basically every player using the a list built on identical themes. The Necron section of the forum has practically no real discourse in it because all the players know what actually works and the rest is basically there for fun and fluff.

In many ways, the Blood Angels have become like that with the release of the new Codex. Certain units are so much better than other units, comparatively, that any given player would have to have a very good reason not to take them. If you like Terminators, for example, that's fine, you can use them and they do about as well as anyone else's Terminators; but why take them when the Veteran Assault Squad is so much better for so much cheaper?

The biggest, most glaring example of this is in the Blood Angels' HQ choices. There are plenty of fine choices in Special Characters, but the ability to create your own character with his own Wargear loadout has essentially been taken away. Moreover, why take anything but Lemartes as your HQ, except for fluff purposes? Why take a regular Librarian when Mephiston is worlds better?

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
er

er.

I think this is where I say something like.

Good point.

So it's not so much that it is a bad list but more that some of the individual nature of the list has been taken away. I can follow that.

·
Inquisitorial Aspirant
452 Posts
I definetly play BA for their feel as attested by the fact that I'm one of the few and proud who take full advantage of BAs two best strengths you can choose (Death Co. aren't a choice, they're a requirement.) These are the BA Rhino and the Baal Predator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.