Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wording in the book is somewhat clear to me, but I still have the discussion with a friend about the Headstrong (dis)advantage.

the Headstrong is written: The pack must attempt to launch an assault in the ensuing
assault phase is at all possible.

Now, drop podding negates all possibilities for assault, so my blood claws and just charge in the first turn.. right?

·
Registered
382 Posts
No. The rules are assumed to mean that if you are in range to charge you have to charge. So moving into charge range means that you would have to. Being in a situation where you can't charge right away (like drop podding) means that you don't have to charge until you are able. I always put a Wolf Guard with them so it never comes up for me though.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
I understood that it was impossible to assault after deep striking if not explicitly mentioned. The Headstrong rule would not apply as they simply cannot assault.

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
Not being able to assault changes nothing about the Headstrong rule being in effect.

The Headstrong rule on page 25 of Codex: Space Wolves specifies two parts of a rule that exist independently. The first being that the models will forgo any shooting when within 6" of an enemy model at the beginning of the shooting phase, the second being that they have to assault if it is possible.
Since the first part exists independently from the second it also applies after drop-podding. The rule isn't even affected by line of sight, so Blood Claws on one side of a building and an enemy unit on the other, completely blocked from line of sight, way out of assault range, but within 6" air line would still trigger the first part of the rule by RAW. Consider the Blood Claws smelling the presence of the enemy or whatever...

You should join Wolfguard with them so that this rule can be ignored...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.