Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Once upon a time, Blood Gruel looked for an army.

He wandered far and wide, a truly flatulent fellow, searching for a winning army. He adopted different tries and lead each one to the great slaughter.

The problem was, the ogres found themselves on the wrong side of the great slaughter, vultures feasting on their fellow dead.

The Great Maw was unappeased.

Then two meteors fell on opposite ends of the earth. One of Blood Gruel's butchers advised him to travel east. Another advised him west.

Blood Gruel pondered his predicament and attempted to clear his thoughts. Touching his pudgy, scarred forefinger to his gory, massed chin, Blood Gruel loosed a wind most foul and malodorous. He knew what he must do.

Blood Gruel would try at least over a course of ten games. Meanwhile, Blood Gruel's master would paint the army and decide whether or not to sell them on eBay after being embarrassed by the winter league.

I gave both members my available models and told them to have at it. I will fight five games with each list and see which one works better for me. I'll post my progress here, both with the painting and with the battles. I can tell you this, currently I am 1 and 5 in the winter league. The only guy that I beat is the one guy that everyone beats everytime they play him, over and over again. Nice guy, but easy to beat.

So witout further ado, here's Phoenix's suggested list:
Lord:
Blood Gruel the Flatulent, 285
Tyrant
Cathayan Longsword
Luck Gnoblar
GiantBreaker
Talisman of Protection
SpangleShard

Heroes:
Bruiser, 163
Great Weapon
LongStrider

Butcher, 180
BloodCleaver
Dispel Scroll

Butcher, 180
BangStick
Dispel Scroll

Core:
4 Bulls, 166
Additional Hand Weapons
Bellower

4 Bulls, 166
Additional Hand Weapons
Bellower

3 Ironguts, 199
Standard Bearer
Bellower
Lookout-Gnoblar
Rune Maw (Tyrant Here)

3 Ironguts, 154
Bellower
(Bruiser Here)

22 Gnoblar Fighters
8 Gnoblar trappers

Special:
2 Leadbelchers,
2 Leadbelchers,
3 Yhetees,

Rare:

SlaveGiant,
Gorger,

And now for OverTyrant Loki's List:
  • Blood Gruel : Mawseeker+Tenderiser+Jade lion + standard non magical kit
  • Butcher: Seigebreaker + SKull mantle (str 7 mage that braingobles on -1 ld? whats not to like)
  • Butcher: Bangstick + Dispell Scroll (extra spell to dispel as well as reliable magic protection)
  • Butcher: Dispel Scroll Dispell scroll (need i say more).

• Bulls x3 no upgrades
  • Irongutsx3 at least 2 unts + all remaining points go here. Keep in mind that several units of three work better then 1 unit of loads of guts. Less chance to lose a bunch to LD tests as well as protection from losing your most valuable units to massed shooting. Place your butchers in with theese guys as they have superior LD to your Butchers and will keep em on the table.
  • Gnoblar fighters: If you have points left over but not quite enough for ironguts then a unit here is great. Remember trappers and Gnoblars both count for taking scrappies.
  • Trappers

• Scraplauncher
  • LeadBelchersx2 Great at shooting up small units. You nay take another unit of 2 and a Gnoblar fighter unit in place of a single unit of ironguts. personal preference.
  • gorgerx2

May Blood Gruel the Flatulent and his Deadly Winds rise to their full glory, effulgent in the skies! All hail Blood Gruel!

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you were a true ogre warlord you'd make the two armies fight each other. ;)

I will watch with interest.
Ogre royalty has arrived. I had no idea you were even watching this forum anymore. Good to see you around. Any tips painting and playing OK are welcome.

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
IMO, the main reason you lose is because you've got too little ironguts. They are the bread and butter of an OK army and are the only unit that can actually kill things :)
Scraplaunchers are fun, but one cannonshot or shot from a runed up bolt thrower and it's gone.
If I were you, I'd sell some of the bulls, and buy some more ironguts first ;Y.
I also use maneaters for butchers by the way :D
For your information, here's the list I use at 2K, and it's very competitive, even at tourneys.

tyrant
heavy armor
tenderiser
longstrider big name
wyrdstone necklace
luck gnoblar

butcher
bangstick
dispel scroll

butcher
skullmantle
siegebreaker

butcher
dispel scroll
dispel scroll

core
3 bulls
bellower
additional hand weapons

3 bulls
bellower
additional hand weapons

3 ironguts (+ tyrant)

3 ironguts (+ butcher)

3 ironguts (+ butcher)

3 ironguts (+ butcher)

9 gnoblar trappers

special
2 leadbelchers
bellower

rare
gorger

gorger

grand total = 2000

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
I wish I had more time to spend with my ogres! As far as painting goes all I can say is be sure to thin your paints due to the large smooth areas and if you're using units of 3-4 ogres then paint 3-4 at a time. This keeps the skin tones all looking similar within a unit (not so important acroos units where little variances won't be noticed).

I'm backing Phoenix's list but I'm particularly interested in how the slave giant goes. Keep close tabs on the big(gest) guy.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So I primed about 20 Iron Guts and Bulls today. I'm going black as I don't want to spend the time on these that white would require.

I learned a lesson about using heat to dry models. I had washed and rinsed them and was trying to hurry their drying time by using a small, ceramic heater. Bad idea. Lost four bases and had to make some minor repairs to three models, which required me pinning something.

Get this people, I have never pinned before until now, after 3.5 years of WHFB. We learn something every day.

I'm using the paint scheme on pages 20-21 of US White Dwarf 301. Shadow Gret, Kommando Khaki, Bleached Bone. Four colors total when mixed.

·
391 Posts
another nifty trick is to sit an empire spearmen on a hot lightbulb. Its a rather amusing way to get rid of modles that youve Fubar'd

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So two units were already done.

First are Bertha's Big Nuggets. These were the first non-VC models I ever painted, maybe 2.5 years ago. I did a decent job, but even though they look just okay, I love the unit.

Bertha pimps out John #1 and John #2. She handles all the transactions and mercenary work, keeping them in line with her rolling pin and cooking pot.

Here's my Scraplauncher. I paid someone to do it because I didn't want to assemble the 873 bitz, much less paint them.

Here are the primed bulls, ironguts, leadbelchers, gorgers, and tyrant. The gorgers were primed grey.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
This is (kind of) a necro post I guess, but I couldn't stop myself and it has been too long that I have been gone from the forums of my beginnings.

My vote would honestly have to go to Arisen's list. Variations of it are by far the most common (successful) tourney lists you run into. Them and Skragg lists of course. I like to fit mawseeker on my tyrants however, to make him immune to str 3 with the application of toothcracker.

The biggest problems I think the other list's have is an overabundance of bulls. At most 2 units of 3 should be in a list in my not-so-humble opinion. Loki's list has too many units of them, though it is good that they are naked, and phoenix's list has units that are too large and have unnecessary upgrades. An ogre unit should only be 4 wide if you are playing BFU ogres, or have a character in a unit of them.

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Thanks, I've got a mawseeker list too actually - just replace my tyrant's build with
tyrant

heavy armor
tenderiser
mawseeker big name
jade lion

Add an extra trapper, and make one trapper a snarefinger - puts it at a round 2000pts again :happy:

You know what we need to see; a battle between the overtyrants 8X. Afterwards, I'll be there to pick up the scraps and eat what's left of the winner - making me overtyrant :D

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll be resuming this army, as far as play goes, next week. I've started painting the metal on all the standard ogres. Just drybrushed tinbitz, then inked brown. Next I'll drybrush the steel over the tinbitz to get that dirty rusty effect. Then more ink, then silver. The usual, cheap and easy way.

·
391 Posts
While i will probally catch guff for it. Ive ran the following to great success.

Tyrant
Heavy Armor
Tenderizor
Mawseeker
Demon-Killer scars (omg).

Yet to fail a stoopid test with the big fatty and when it comes down to it Terror wins games. Every time terror comes into play i fall more and more in love with it. I wont bore you with what happened sunday with skrag(like hell i wont). 800 points of Dorfs off the table turn 2 due to terror.

Build may not be your thing as its an aquired taste. Works for me at least.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While i will probally catch guff for it. Ive ran the following to great success.

Tyrant
Heavy Armor
Tenderizor
Mawseeker
Demon-Killer scars (omg).

Yet to fail a stoopid test with the big fatty and when it comes down to it Terror wins games. Every time terror comes into play i fall more and more in love with it. I wont bore you with what happened sunday with skrag(like hell i wont). 800 points of Dorfs off the table turn 2 due to terror.

Build may not be your thing as its an aquired taste. Works for me at least.
GUFF GUFF GUFF!

Erm...anyhow.

I have mixed enthusiasm for terror. In my games, it doesn't seem to pay off. A healthy dose of fear, though, is always good for the gut.

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
I've found it can be quite handy having at least one Terror causing model in any given army. It's always nice to have someone you can eye a dragon and say "What are you looking at?" in an aggressive voice.

plus occasionally large parts of enemy armies run away (especially when you're carting a Brahmir Statue about too).

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I have run a Mawseeker Tyrant without the Jade Lion many a time. He rarely (if ever) has failed his stupidity test. I mean really, out of anyone an ogre is probably your best bet at fighting while stupid, they are used to it after all!

Cant say I've ever felt the need to use the DK scars however. I'm in David's camp where it has proved less than sterling.

·
391 Posts
well if your not a fan of the DK scars you have more then enough points to take the Greatskull or the Wyrdstone neck.

Now that would be a bit of a nasty suprise a Toughness 6 tyrant with a wardsave. Hit him with Toothcracker and your tyrant is immune to any str 3 attacks (its my fav trick with skragg).

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First color!

~Moved to projects forum~

Updates:

The metal is done with the exception of the Leadbelchers' cannons, which will need some more attention.

The rusted metal everywhere else is more silvery than I wanted, but I'm content enough not to want to mess with it anymore. Now that I've started the flesh and the pants, I know I'm not going to be drybrushing anymore metal.

The skin is the mixture from White Dwarf 300 or 301 when Ogres came out. The Leadbelcher is the color, and the Bulls have the second layer on them, a very subtle highlight, which was kind of annoying to paint.

The paints have just the Foundation colors and will get two layers of color on top and that's it.

The beards and hair, I may just do in black. And the boots will be a dark brown.

I thought I had gone through and cleaned up all the mold lines and sprue cuts, but apparently, I didn't. These are going on the market once they're done, so I'm not losing too much sleep over that. It's just annoying after so much prep time to find that I overlooked some anyhow.

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
Striped pants are essential. Good man. As far as the metal goes, mix up a bit of brown ink with some blazing orange, the use this as a patchy was over the silver metal. It'll rust up good and fast! If you want more rust then stipple orange mixed with brown baint onto the washed areas while it's still wet. That gives more established patches of rust rather than a general worn appearance.

Looks good so far!

1 - 20 of 254 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.