Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I need some feedback on this 1850 points all comer army of Blood Ravens:

HQ:

Command squad: 264 pts

furious charge: 18 pts
3 marine: bolt pistol CC weapon 45 pts
1 company champion: bolt pistol, power weapon, combat shield.35pts
1 sergeant: terminator honours, powerfist, bolt pistol. 45 pts
1 librarian: bolt pistol, force weapon, psychic hood,familiar, veil of time 121 points

Troops: 320 pts

Tactical squad 160 pts
Infiltrate 15 pts
1 sergeant: bolt pistol, power fist, terminator honours, teleport homer 50 pts
1 marine: meltagun 25 pts
1 marine: multi-melta 25 pts
3 marine: bolter 45 pts

Tactical squad 160 pts
Infiltrate 15 pts

Elite: 245 points
2 terminators: power fist, storm bolter 80 pts
1 terminators: chain fist, assault cannon 65 pts
1 terminators: power fist, assault cannon 60 pts
1 sergeant: power weapon, storm bolter 40 pts

Heavy Support:

Land Raider: pintle mounted storm bolter, smoke launchers, extra armour 268 pts

Devastator squad: 260 pts
1 sergeant: bolter 15 pts
2 marine: Plasma canon 100 pts
2 marine: Lascanon 100 pts

I would like you to rate my army on a scale of 1 to 10 for the following criterias:

Fluffyness
Fun
Strength

And also give as many opinions, tips and tricks with how I built my squads, I am new to space marines and need to learn as much as I can. Thank you very much in advance.

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
Hi all, I need some feedback on this 1850 points all comer army of Blood Ravens:
There's a seperate section for army lists, so make sure to post it there. Also when posting lists please just have the unit totals, not the totals for each model it makes it much easier to read.

Ok lets see what you got...

HQ:

Command squad: 264 pts

furious charge: 18 pts
3 marine: bolt pistol CC weapon 45 pts
1 company champion: bolt pistol, power weapon, combat shield.35pts
1 sergeant: terminator honours, powerfist, bolt pistol. 45 pts
1 librarian: bolt pistol, force weapon, psychic hood,familiar, veil of time 121 points
Not bad, drop the familiar, an I7 Librarian on the charge simply isn't needed.

Troops: 320 pts

Tactical squad 160 pts
Infiltrate 15 pts

Tactical squad 160 pts
Infiltrate 15 pts
I'ld drop the multi melta and beef up the squads as much as possible. Reasoning being if you stand still to shoot the multi melta, you're wasting the powerfist, and vice versa. If you want a static shooting squad then drop the powerfisted sgt.

Good

Ok, 15 terminators is waaaaayyy to many. Stick with one squad, 3 squads brings down the model count too much. Use the points to beef up your troops, you have plenty of flavourful specialized units already.

Heavy Support:

Land Raider: pintle mounted storm bolter, smoke launchers, extra armour 268 pts
Im assuming this is carrying the command squad. If so, I'ld take a crusader instead as its better suited for carrying assault units into battle.

Devastator squad: 260 pts
2 marine: Lascanon 100 pts
This loadout isn't really the best. Lascannons and plasma cannons don't mix well, since they have different ranges and have different uses. Consider the following loadouts:
*2 Plasma Cannon, 2 Heavy Bolter. (good for anti infantry)
*4 Missile Launcher. (the preffered loadout for most SM players. 4 Krak missiles for anti-tank/heavy infantry. 4 Frag missiles for hoardes. All at significantly cheaper than other loadouts.)
*2 Lascannon, 2 Missile Launcher. (Less commonly used, similar to the 4 ML loadout but more of an emphasis on AT)

Also, give these guys infiltrate, very important on them.

Ok, To sum it all up, the list has way to many expensive units: 3 units of terminators, a land raider, and a devvie squad ALL cost 245+ points EACH! what I would do is drop 2 squads of terminators, and use the points to beef up the troops as much as possible. Not only will this make the list stronger, but will also leave you better prepared for 5th edition. (rumours are that 5th will be strongly based around troops)

I would like you to rate my army on a scale of 1 to 10 for the following criterias:

Fluffyness
Fun
Strength

And also give as many opinions, tips and tricks with how I built my squads, I am new to space marines and need to learn as much as I can. Thank you very much in advance.
Right now, I would say this list is in the 6 area. Those extra 10 terminators will really hurt you against experienced players. On the other hand, your squads are nicely equipped for the most part, something you don't see a lot with new players. As for fluff, it looks pretty good, except for the surplus of terminators (only 1st company of chapters have lots of veterans.) I don't know much about blood ravens except for that they use librarians a lot so its good that you have one in your list. (i personally despise what they did to chaplains IMO) For the fun level, with a few changes should be a fun list to play.. land raiders are loads of fun, as well as terminators and infiltrating units.

Well, I hope this helps, good luck and we'll see your revised list soon!

:drinking:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, good start, let me ask a few questions:

"Not bad, drop the familiar, an I7 Librarian on the charge simply isn't needed."

I7 is for killing monstrous creatures which have an I6 stats, but maybe you know if the I6 monstrous creatures are very rare or not?

"I'ld drop the multi melta and beef up the squads as much as possible. Reasoning being if you stand still to shoot the multi melta, you're wasting the powerfist, and vice versa. If you want a static shooting squad then drop the powerfisted sgt."

So for an infiltrating tactical squad, what would be best, an assault with powerfisted sergeant or 2 special guns for static shooting? personaly I would preffer static shooting since to me, CC is boring because I already have a tyranid army, so I did not start blood ravens for CC so I would go with this revised list:

Tactical squad 148 pts
Infiltrate 18 pts
1 sergeant: bolter, terminator honours, teleport homer 35 pts
1 marine: plasmagun 25 pts

saves up 24 points for later.

"Ok, 15 terminators is waaaaayyy to many. Stick with one squad, 3 squads brings down the model count too much. Use the points to beef up your troops, you have plenty of flavourful specialized units already."

Terminators are the reason I bought space marines, so I absolutely wanted 3 squads to fill my elite choice because I like them so much. No deal on that, the 3 squads stay, beside I can't wait to deepstrike them to my teleport homer infiltrated tactical squad on turn 2(With luck) and rain hellfire on my enemies in the name of the emperor! 3 squads allows me more deepstrike rolls to maximize the chance of turn 2 deepstriking. If atleast 1 squad deepstrikes on turn 2 I am happy.

"Im assuming this is carrying the command squad. If so, I'ld take a crusader instead as its better suited for carrying assault units into battle."

It is for that purpose, but blood ravens are flesh over steel and may not use crusaders, otherwise id be using one.8Y

"This loadout isn't really the best. Lascannons and plasma cannons don't mix well, since they have different ranges and have different uses. Consider the following loadouts:
*2 Plasma Cannon, 2 Heavy Bolter. (good for anti infantry)
*4 Missile Launcher. (the preffered loadout for most SM players. 4 Krak missiles for anti-tank/heavy infantry. 4 Frag missiles for hoardes. All at significantly cheaper than other loadouts.)
*2 Lascannon, 2 Missile Launcher. (Less commonly used, similar to the 4 ML loadout but more of an emphasis on AT)

Also, give these guys infiltrate, very important on them."

Ok I understand the idea now, so I would go with:

Devastator squad: 244 pts
infiltrate 24 pts
2 marine: heavy bolter 60 pts

Frees up another 16 points.

With the extra 40 points I shall add 1 marine with bolter to each of my tactical squad and I don't know how to use the remaining 10 points, taking suggestions. Also, you forgot to rate my army 1 to 10 for each criteria, not as a whole, example:

Fluff:7/10
Strength: 8/10
Fun: 9/10

Thank you very much for your input!:)

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
I7 is for killing monstrous creatures which have an I6 stats, but maybe you know if the I6 monstrous creatures are very rare or not?
There's not too many I6 MC out there, maybe a hive tyrant. Eldar types are the only other races which can really bring models with that high initiative so if you play them a lot you might wanna keep it. Also, if anything and you have a cool idea for a familiar or just flat out like them then by all means go for it!

So for an infiltrating tactical squad, what would be best, an assault with powerfisted sergeant or 2 special guns for static shooting? personaly I would preffer static shooting since to me, CC is boring because I already have a tyranid army, so I did not start blood ravens for CC so I would go with this revised list:

Tactical squad 148 pts
Infiltrate 18 pts
1 sergeant: bolter, terminator honours, teleport homer 35 pts
1 marine: plasmagun 25 pts

saves up 24 points for later.
I actually like that set up, multi meltas can actually be effective when infiltrating, so i'ld keep this set up, good job!

Terminators are the reason I bought space marines, so I absolutely wanted 3 squads to fill my elite choice because I like them so much. No deal on that, the 3 squads stay, beside I can't wait to deepstrike them to my teleport homer infiltrated tactical squad on turn 2(With luck) and rain hellfire on my enemies in the name of the emperor! 3 squads allows me more deepstrike rolls to maximize the chance of turn 2 deepstriking. If atleast 1 squad deepstrikes on turn 2 I am happy.
If your intent on 3 squads of termies thats fine, but if your going to keep them I would definetly drop the land raider (assuming you haven't bought one yet of course) Reason being is that like i said 15 terminators takes up a lot of points, and will leave those infiltrators vulnerable. Also when there's only one vehicle in a list they tend to get knocked out quickly as all AT weapons in the opposing army are focused on that one tank. SO, what I would recomend is to drop the land raider and use the points to give the command squad infiltrate, then use the leftover points for you guessed it.. more troops.

Disclaimer: This advice is coming from a competative point of view. If the list is more for fun of modelling and fluff then this advice is probably not going to help much.

It is for that purpose, but blood ravens are flesh over steel and may not use crusaders, otherwise id be using one.8Y
Duh, completely forgot crusaders can't be used by FoS.

Devastator squad: 244 pts
infiltrate 24 pts
2 marine: heavy bolter 60 pts

Frees up another 16 points.
Excellent. Leave them like that.

With the extra 40 points I shall add 1 marine with bolter to each of my tactical squad and I don't know how to use the remaining 10 points, taking suggestions. [/QUOTE[

Remember infiltrate for those 2 marines, so that will only leave 4 points leftover, enough for auspexs for the tac squads.

If you're set on the units, then I think this revision definetely improves the list.

If you're wanting to make it a little more competative while keeping 15 terminators then I'ld drop the land raider for the suggestions above.

Thank you very much for your input!:)
No problem thats why we're here.

:drinking:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts