Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Oh No! Not Him Again!
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, this came to me in a brief moment. Bear with me on this. As per the Will of the Gods rule, the model HAS to be placed in the middle of a unit. Say we took a Bloodwrack Shrine, and put it in a unit of 5 wide Swordsmen, it would displace 15 models in the 3 middle files. With command models, this would push all characters into the second rank by default. This, combined with the large area of T6 that people have to allocate some attacks on, gives us a nice dual purpose anvil, especially with the potential for Fear/Terror. Combined with the benefits from the shrine itself, it could be a very good way to run a tarpit, given the fact it increases our otherwise expensive and fragile ranks by a large amount. What do you think about this?

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
Doesn't seem viable to me in 2,000 pts. Could be fun in bigger games where there's more room for 'toys'. The only wizard you are likely to want to bunker at 2,000 pts is an L4 sorceress. That's 560 pts in one extremely compact little warmachine target, before any magic items! Plus if you're using a dagger you definitely want more bodies than that in there. In reality when you get charged there's probably only one enemy model (+ supporter) who *must* hit the T6, so I don't see you taking that many fewer casualties on the Bleakswords.

The fact that a premium was paid for scythed impact hits on a unit that probably won't be the one doing the charging also adds some inefficiency :(

For boosting ranks it really depends on what's hitting you. 135 pts for 15 wounds at T3 5+/6++ is not strictly worse than 175 pts for 5 wounds at T6/6+ against things that hit hard.

On the plus side, if the sorc is your general you get an LD boost!

Sorry to be all negative, I really like the bloodwrack shrine and hope it sees some use. I think people forget the impact hits they're adding to their regiment when judging its cost. Just don't see this configuration working out against a competitive enemy. And I would only use "bus" type "tricks" like that to push my sorc into the second rank in a competitive environment.

Really wish they had done the rules as a medusa mounted on a chariot instead of a single model :(

·
Oh No! Not Him Again!
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing, it can still use the impact hits and ranks in an offensive way. It is a multi-role unit, since you'll never be taking hits on the Sorceress unless you're flanked. You use it to bring the Fear onto other units things like Ogres quite effectively, reducing their damage to us, you still have the shooting attack, which is really awesome by the way, and breaking the stubborn of other units when charging with a hammer works a charm.

As for spending too many points on things, I think that's a matter of perspective. I personally don't think I'd ever take a Cauldron with a Horde of Witch Elves, it lends itself too much to a deathstar attitude, most of the people I play with are rather competent generals, so can very easily not have to deal with it the entire game, and it makes for a very one-dimensional game. I feel that THAT unit is way too many points, and whilst it is a rather nice blunt object with which you can obliterate things, I have a different playstyle to that. We have to use things to really know how they are going to perform, and judge from there how 'worth it' you think it is. I'd like to digress that making a 'one list to rule them all' scenario on the internet discourages actual diversity in game and doesn't develop personal generalship.

I'll be giving this a test at some point in the near future, I'll see whether I can back up my theory with facts! =P

1 - 3 of 3 Posts