Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Landlord
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We dont have a category for boardgames, but I still wanna post here to see if there are any others out there who likes to play boardgames like monopoly etc ?

I have one game that is similar to monopoly called Hotes from MB which is very good with small miniature hotels you put up on the board when you buy them

Anyone else have some favorite board games ?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Settlers of catan is a good game. I can't remember who its by right now. I'll have to check.

EDIT: make that by mayfair. I was expecting to have to wait til I could go round to my girlfriends house later to check, seeing as its at her house, I forgot that the interweb is the ultimate source of all knowledge. DUH!

·
The Landlord
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a quick search for your game, that looks really exciting :) The layout of the pieces reminded me of another game I had called Atlantis. I remember playing that alot with my neighbour. Great stuff!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Yeah, its great fun to play and doesn't have to last that long either. Plus there are some rather cool expansions for it which add that little bit extra zest to the game. Its one of those easy to learn difficult to master games that makes it really addictive!

Hotels looks pretty cool, I might have to invest in a copy of that myself if I can ever track one down. Both my house and my girlfriend's house (or at least the respective housemates) are really into boardgames, as are a few of our other close friends, so I'm almost constantly playing something or other when I'm not doing work, playing WH, etc. etc. And people tell me I need to get a life!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Seems a good plan- race you :p

Other good ones I've played recently include Puerto Rico and Ticket to Ride. I only played the latter the once, but managed to rack up a higher score than anyone else playing the game had managed by a good 20 or 30 points in what was meant to be a very difficult game to pick up!

Dragonology is another one I've played recently, though that works best at 3-4 players, playing all 6 is just asking for trouble.

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
You guys should check out 'Kill Dr. Lucky', 'Carcassonne' and 'Zombies'. They're all top games.

If you want a game to take all day and be all geeky about try 'Twiligth Imperium'. It's pretty good fun.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We all play Godstorm Risk around here, always a good blast. Fantasy Flight are a good company to look out for. They do alot of the old GW games like fury of dracula.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree with the paint monkey ZOMBIES!!! rocks its by twilight creations.
and i know it has its own section but BloodBowl is one of the best stand alone games ever.

·
Master of the Ravenwing
849 Posts
I think it's the description "boardgames like monopoly" that puts so many people off playing boardgames, Monopoly being the game that it is.

Anyway. Here's some of the great board/card games I've played recently and very much enjoyed. I recommend all of them.

Dungeon Twister - 2-player, similar in style to chess, huge range of strategies and tactical opportunities.
Dominion - a new game out this year, like a CCG/TCG except without the trading/collecting part. 500 cards in a big box, play to expand your dominion with land and treasure. Best new game in a couple of years.
Condottiere - conquering Italy with your mercenaries. A lot of fun with 4 or 5.
Okko, Era of the Asagiri - simple miniatures game, based on some comic. Extremely well produced (fantastic artwork) but the combat a bit too random... still fun though.
Memoir '44 - WW2 re-enactment on a hex board. Very good game, scenarios of real battles, again a bit random but still very entertaining. Masses of expansions provide scenarios and rules for different battles & different armies of WW2.
Mr. Jack - very clever detective game, where one person is Jack the Ripper in Victorian London trying to escape, and one player is the detective trying to track him down. A lot of fun for 2 players.
Lord of the Rings - a co-operative boardgame where you take the role of the hobbits and attempt to defeat the game (i.e. Sauron). It's very hard to win, but doable.

·
Registered
422 Posts
ah boardgaming my other great addiction. Well, by boardgaming i mean social gaming, because we play board games, card games (non-ccg), social games etc.

Here's my current list of games with ratings.

king88mob | User Collection | BoardGameGeek

Of those, i split them into "Gateway Games" and "Hardcore Games"

Great gateway games are:
Settlers of Catan
Carcassonne
Lost Cities
Hive
Pandemic (Coop, easy to learn, hard to master)

More Hardcore:
Railroad Tycoon
Race for the Galaxy
Infernal Contraption
Agricola (don't own yet but played a few times)

Most of the gateways are now available on XBox Live.

we play boardgames probably 3-5 times a week, either 2 player with my wife, or we go out to one of many game nights here in wellington. There's a TON of fantastic games out there. BoardGameGeek | Gaming Unplugged Since 2000 is a great resource to find some, and once you've played a few, i'll be damned if you don't want to own more.

·
Pedantic Englishman
1,229 Posts
Fave board game.... Risk, anyone? It may take 3 whole years to play a game, but I love it...

Dread Pirate is a fun game too... they're about the only two I play, lol.

I prefer cards... Hearts or Threes, mostly. And my gf's getting me back in Pokémon TCG...

But, to conclude.. Risk ftw!

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
Neuroshima Hex is a great tactical boardgame. Descent is a great dungeon crawler (which takes ages to play...) and Doom is a very cool Doom-themed variant of it (with faster gameplay!).

What else... Old GW classics are great fun, such as Space Hulk and Warhammer Quest.

There's a lot of boardgames out there. Oh yes, Talisman is a pretty fun "pick up and play"-game, but don't expect to much tactics in that one. ;)

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Most of my friends have a pathological mistrust of tabletop games so wont play me at 40k or WHFB, (or Legends of the Old West, LotRs or Great War either!) therefore we often get togethor and have a nice long game of Risk- classic version, original and best.

Other board games I like are: Axis and Allies, and Ive recently played 221b Baker Street which is a Sherlock Holmes game, and a bit of a mix of Cluedo and a cryptic crossword- worth checking out!

Talisman is always good for fun, although the random element of it isnt to everyones taste, and Heroquest was what got me into GW stuff so deserves a mention, unfortunately ive lost some of the cards or i'd probably still play it!

·
Master of the Ravenwing
849 Posts
Ive recently played 221b Baker Street which is a Sherlock Holmes game, and a bit of a mix of Cluedo and a cryptic crossword- worth checking out!
Ah that's an awesome game. What's even better is coming up with your own plots for other players to solve.

·
4,361 Posts
A recent strategy game I really like is Blockus. Quick and simple to learn.

Diplomacy is a great game also, but can take a long time to play. And add me to the list of people that think bloodbowl is a great board game.

SirKently

1 - 20 of 33 Posts