Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any ideas about how to set up a scenario with a boarding party for ship to ship combat? Space Hulk adaptations maybe?

I have a lot of ideas about objectives like taking bridge, the engines bay, munitions, capturing a commander or assassinating him, perhaps even hijacking the on board computer systems in a special control room, a rescue mission, or stealing some important item and running off with it. Scenery design with the attacking player attacking through one or more holes in the hull blown open or cut through by APCs. But what sort of rules should apply to these sorts of actions?

I was thinking this may be best kept to points areas of around 500-750, though the ships of the universe are immense.

·
2,076 Posts
You could have plenty of special rules, just try not to use them all at once cos it can get messy.

Egs

Low Gravity: All infantry and beasts may move as jump infantry, Jump infantry may move 18" instead of 12". MCs, Vehicles, bikes, Jetbike and artillery are unaffected.
All infantry, beasts and Jump infantry have -1 to there sv value to represent the dangers of low gravity and the thin atmosphere. eg Ork boy has no sv, Space Marine has a 4+

Boarding Party Panic.
All attackers unit are in reserve(coming via boarding pods), start the reserve rolls on turn 1. roll the scatter dice and enter play along the attacking players board edge where the scatter dice points at.
50% of the defenders are in reserve( spread throughout the ship they must make their way to the battlefield), again roll the scatter dice and arrive along the defenders board edge where the scatter dice points.

Ammo Point. This counts as an objective Marker. A single unit may hold this objective. The unit gains rerolls to hit while holding this objective. Unfortunately standing on top of a pile of explosive shells is never a safe move. When enemy unit fires at the squad roll a D6 after all casualties have been removed. On a 6 the Enemy fire has caused an additional explosion from damaged Ammo. The enemy places the small blast marker and explosion has S4 Ap5. Roll to wound and sv as normal. Casualties from explosion count towards shooting casualties to see if unit takes a Ld test.

etc, etc

·
166 Posts
I've got a couple links that may help...
Return to Space Hulk
Black Templar Space Marines - Helbrecht's Revenge

The Space Hulk is obvious; that was always based around boarding actions. The second is Helbrecht's Revenge, which covers more about boarding actions in 40K rather than Kill-Team. It includes some environmental hazardsas well as effects of controlling certain areas of each side's ship.

I'll add more stuff when I have the time; I've been working on a spaceship interior table exactly for this reason!

EDIT: OK, I'm back for (and with) more...

First, another link that you may find useful...
Space Crusade
This person has compiled a whole bunch of scans of the original Space Crusade game, as well as the Dreadnought and Eldar Attack expansions. The Missions Book can give you suggestions for objectives or a narrative campaign, and the "Alien Event" cards are good for ideas for more "special rules."

Personally, I would love to do this as a variant of Kill-Team. I think it fits very well, but I also like the mechanics of the Alien Events cards, so I was planning to make up a table of events that you could use on a D66 roll or some such. I think it adds a little something to have constantly-changing hazards, reflecting the ever-shifting and unstable landscape of the Space Hulk or battle-ravaged spaceship.

As for missions, I had one in mind based on my Lost and the Damned army.
Objective: Set up a counter or model to represent a prisoner that the Chaos force is holding. The Kill-Team must reach the prisoner and bring him back to their entry point. He has valuable information that the Chaos force is trying to torture out of him.

When the Kill-Team reach within 6" and line of sight of the Prisoner, roll a D6:
1 - Too Late! The prisoner has been the subject of many Chaos experiments; he has mutated into a Chaos Spawn! Replace the Prisoner model with a Chaos Spawn under control of the Brute player.
2-5 - Found Him! The Kill-Team find their lost man, a little worse for wear. While carrying him back to their starting point, the entire Kill-Team moves as if in Difficult Terrain.
6 - Too Late! The prisoner is already dead; whether or not he gave up his information is unknown.

So, that's just a few things that I have in mind. I'll be watching this spot, though, to help add to the pool of ideas and watch it grow!

·
Registered
5 Posts
armour saves

You could have plenty of special rules, just try not to use them all at once cos it can get messy.

Egs

Low Gravity: All infantry and beasts may move as jump infantry, Jump infantry may move 18" instead of 12". MCs, Vehicles, bikes, Jetbike and artillery are unaffected.
All infantry, beasts and Jump infantry have -1 to there sv value to represent the dangers of low gravity and the thin atmosphere. eg Ork boy has no sv, Space Marine has a 4+
I like the idea of -1 amour saves but i think that you should have at least a 6+ sv. an ork in a shirt still has the shirt on. its not like in space it just sudenly disapears. i think that the minimum save should stay a 6+ unless they had no armour to begin with.:)

·
Bloodbowl Hooligan
263 Posts
It may also be an idea to have a look at imperial armour 4 the anphelion project, there are rules in their for the anphelion base which includes modifiers to hit special rules for close combat when the enemy is charging etc

Defenatly worth having a look

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.