Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my "Bombardment 'Fex", who goes by the Imperial designation "Sturm", because he's often paired with a close-combat focused monstrosity named "Drang" ("Sturm und Drang" is German for "Storm and Stress". Sturm causes the major damage, while Drang draws enemy attention (and makes them really nervous / stressed out around turn 3).

Like a lot of people I know, I hate the way the Venom Cannon and Barbed Strangler look on the same model. I've never really liked the stubby little Barbed Strangler either, so in this conversion I gave it a more bazooka-esque look. It required a bit of conversion on the plastic, but I'm pretty satisfied with the result:








And here are some detail shots, from various angles. The rounded "orb" on the very top of the gun is going to get an eye-like paintjob.







This is a good shot of the back, and the Carnifex's altered "heat sink" fins.







Here's another angle, which gives you a good estimation how long the Barbed Strangler actually is.







And a top-side view, which best shows off the stranglerseed pod ammo bag on the side, and the single scything talon I used to remind my friends that this is still a Carnifex and therefore very dangerous in CC. It also adds to the asymmetrical "look" of this Carnifex, which is vastly different from the highly symmetrical appearance of my other 'Fex, (whom I call Drang).







And a couple of close-ups of the poor dead gaunt on the base. It's really hard to see, but there's actually an entrance wound on the front carapace, and that's my impression of what a bolter shell would do to a Gaunt. To quote an old song: "Itty bitty hole on one side... the other side was all gone!"






When I finish painting him, I plan on getting pictures of Sturm und Drang side by side. :)
 

·
No Rest For the Righteous
Joined
·
1,140 Posts
Very nice! This is what a weapon beast should look like; a mutated monstosity. I especially like the one scything talon, it gives you the image that he still tears things apart in close combat, as opposed to just "stomping them" or hitting them with his meaty weapons. Are you gonna put a pic up of Drang too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ebon Hand said:
Are you gonna put a pic up of Drang too?
When he's painted. Drang only has minor cosmetic changes (mostly, some altered armor plating representing bonded exo and extended carapace) which wasn't really worthy of "before" pictures, however; it's his paintjob that's (hopefully) going to be the most striking thing about him. (He's the Robin to Sturm's Batman, after all...) :)
 

·
Cthulhu's Lovechild
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
Improvise or buy a set of sculpting tools because fingerprints aren't a good look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
You could argue that fingerprints would make it look more organic, which is always a good thing with nids.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am the Monkey King said:
You could argue that fingerprints would make it look more organic, which is always a good thing with nids.
I admit to not being the best sculpter in the world; but after I did my sculpt some areas just seemed too... smooth... to be organic to me (the eyelid area, especially), so I used some quick taps of my fingertips to give it a more organic appearance in that area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Thats Absolutely Crazy!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: I'd Just Like to say though, it looks like it has a weakspot now, seeing that it's right side of the face isn't technically if it was alive, able to be covered by anything... still thats one massive nid still lol, dont want any of my guys ever fighting that thing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Had you seen the concept sketchs for a new version of the Biovore when you did this? Or was this a creation of your own imagination? Looks a lot like some of the concept sketchs - aka a good job. It's impressive now, you definetly will have to post photos once the paint work is complete.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorrowsky said:
Thats Absolutely Crazy!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: I'd Just Like to say though, it looks like it has a weakspot now, seeing that it's right side of the face isn't technically if it was alive, able to be covered by anything... still thats one massive nid still lol, dont want any of my guys ever fighting that thing
That Scything Talon on the right side could easily swing forward and deflect fire if something triggered Sturm's "Not in the face, not in the face!" reflex. :D

yuushin said:
Had you seen the concept sketchs for a new version of the Biovore when you did this? Or was this a creation of your own imagination? Looks a lot like some of the concept sketchs - aka a good job. It's impressive now, you definetly will have to post photos once the paint work is complete.
I've seen the new Biovore model (It's what prompted my inclusion of a big central eye on the Barbed Strangler), but haven't seen any of the concept sketches for it. I just personally can't stand how stumpy the Barbed Strangler is, and figured if it's going to be firing a large blast template, it had better look like it's actually capable of doing so... and what better tool that a shoulder-mounted bazooka-esque bio-weapon? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Yeh man, that looks good ay, little obtrusive, but then what giant tyranid weapon isnt gona be. Good execution of the concept and generaly clean sculpting.
Dan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Indeed. Can't remeber where, some rumors page, had a links to 4-5 concept sketches for the new biovore. One of which lead to the new model. They were variations on the theme, there was thsi one sketch of the biovore with the cannon underslung that I favored. But any of them are an improvement over the older model.

Good luck on the painting.
 

·
Supreme Evil Overlord
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
Certainly a nice conversion, apart from the fingerprints it's a goodjob.
I'll be looking forward to seeing it painted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
WOW! Crazy conversion job man, I love it! I agree that you made the Barbed Strangler look much more as it should, it really WAS too stumpy before. I didn't even notice the fingerprints cause I was too busy admiriing the conversion (or maybe cause I can't model for beans :shifty: ). Anyway, keep up the good work and definitely get some post-paint pics up. Oh, and I like the gaunt, great effect. Maybe for your naxy project you could do some kind of dynamic base like the carnifex standing on top of a collapsed bunker where the inperial eagle is still partly visible throught the acid-corroded rubble. Just an idea ;) .

--smguy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
smguy said:
WOW! Crazy conversion job man, I love it! I agree that you made the Barbed Strangler look much more as it should, it really WAS too stumpy before. I didn't even notice the fingerprints cause I was too busy admiriing the conversion (or maybe cause I can't model for beans :shifty: ). Anyway, keep up the good work and definitely get some post-paint pics up. Oh, and I like the gaunt, great effect. Maybe for your naxy project you could do some kind of dynamic base like the carnifex standing on top of a collapsed bunker where the inperial eagle is still partly visible throught the acid-corroded rubble. Just an idea ;) .

--smguy
My original plan for Drang's base involved dozens of dead and wounded (ok, haha... just dead) Eldar... but then my Eldar opponant decided he'd had enough min/maxing and switched to Grey Knights, so I'm having to replan; and that is a really good suggestion. :)
 

·
Pure Venom.
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
A very nice model - the greenstuff work looks nice, and the general lengthening and engorging of the weapon makes this 'fex look like a ranged monster.

poptartsninja said:
When I finish painting him, I plan on getting pictures of Sturm und Drang side by side. :)
Storm and Stress? Nicely done.

LoC
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top