Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so most people would agree that the bone giant is a little overpriced (not so much it is unusable but a little). How low would the points cost have to go before it would rival our other amazing rare choices
in your army?

Just curious, cheers

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
If it 150pts basic id be happy. The if you payed +20pts for a 2nd HW, Shield, GW or bow for example it would be good. Basically like in the online Construct List PDF, but with a cheaper initial cost.

·
7,143 Posts
WS4 would be fair maybe, and T6 would be nice.

Dave, he is just seriously overpriced considering how easy it is for the enemy to take a BG down. One opposing warmachine will make seriously shory work of him, and being unable to march he is just too slow, unlike other Giants.

Unstoppable Assault is nice, but with his low WS its often not amazing, and also it only works on the charge. If he gets charged or pinned in combat then hes going to crumble.

Some weapon options, as i mentioned above, would just be a nice addition, make him a bit more versatile.

·
King of Curiosity
283 Posts
he really is overpriced but he is fun to use if you want to change around your list in a casual game. but also to answer your question yes he is a large target and not only that but like normal giants he attracts a lot of attention and with that attention he is often a target for war machines and if he dies that that is a ton of victory points for my opponent (not a happy thought) however unstoppable assault is fun but his weapon skill is just too low to put unstoppable assault to good use so i would leave him out of a more important army list but keep in mind he is fun to use.

·
Registered
569 Posts
It is true that his points are a bit steep and in so many ways 3 ushabti are cheaper and more effective...

In saying this I think they can do one of two things... either raise the WS to 5 or I think drop the points down to about 180.

I actaully use Bone Giants in my army constantly and have had some great sucess with them and some poor showings... it sucks that you generally hit on a 4 at best but with some luck you should get about 3 or more kills. And you basically want to flank with it...

It also acts as a great pin cushion and protects all your other units and you can always heal it.

·
PokeSavant
539 Posts
I think it's a bit outlandish to assume he should get weapon skill 5. 4 would be a perfect fit, as would the equipment options listed in the trial rules. However giving the great weapon a larger cost, and allowing a modified rule similar to the DoE special attack would be great. Perhaps something along the lines of half strength, auto hits on all in B2B, does not benefit from unstoppable assault.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yea I'd have to go with WS4 and I would pay for the full points cost. I don't imagine the bonegiants using GW fluffwise and gamewise, though it could just be me. Though to compensate I'd say dueling the weapons gives +1str on the charge. So WS 4 str 7 and unstopable assualt to mash some things to bits.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
They aren't overpriced, people just aren't using them right. With their unstoppable assault they really are very choppy choppy, and with some of the incantations (the moving one) it can be really hard to avoid him! Very nasty to play against

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
They aren't overpriced, people just aren't using them right. With their unstoppable assault they really are very choppy choppy, and with some of the incantations (the moving one) it can be really hard to avoid him! Very nasty to play against
Sorry Stoney, they're overpriced. 2x SSCs with upgrades are the same price as a Bone Giant, and there is no way he is worth 2 SSCs.

·
7,143 Posts
True Stoney. I just think if you compare to other large monsters (Dragons, Carnosaur, etc) then given his stats and abilities he is a bit overpriced. Same goes for the Beasts Shaggoth. I know these kind of comparisons are not directly fair, as the magic assistance potential on the BG can have an effect etc, but still id much rather have a big guy who could stand up to other big guys. Hence why i really want a Sphinx! :)

·
7,143 Posts
Ive used him a few times. Once in 3K, against Ogres. He got pounded by Ironguts lol. Once against old HE, where the rerolling misses Bolt Throwers downed him in turn. Still won both games though! :) Ive used him at other times too, but i tend to stick with one list at the moment. I may mix it up a bit if i can ever find a more 'friendly gaming' opponant. Always wanted to try a Construct List.

·
LO Zealot
1,503 Posts
Where are these planet bowling ball tables that you guys are playing where your Giants are getting squashed by warmachines on turn one? There's always a woods on my tables and my Giant always uses it to block LOS to warmachines. I don't think I've ever lost my giant to a cannon or ballistae.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.