Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a start to my new Necron Army. I decided to go with a fairly distinctive bone colour for the armour. The coloured plastic rods can be bought from a company called Plastruct in various sizes, but there are tons of eBay shops selling them too.

After a request, I wrote a quick guide to painting these.

Other than the rod swaps, the warriors are standard. I swapped the Warscythe blade on the Lord for the scythe tip from the Warhammer Zombie sprue.

Any tips, comments or criticisms are welcome, fire away.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Nice work with the red contrast, do you have a tricked out monolith with a red portal, also lenghten the sythe's handle.

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the nice comments! The painting was actually really simple. Undercoat white, two Gryphonne Sepia washes straight out of the pot, paint Bleached Bone over the armour plates and do highlights in very thinned Skull White on the edges.

Alzer and kevin, I think you're both right. The scythe looks a bit small and awkward in his hands and I need to add a 'something' to spice it up a little. I will probably extend the pole a bit, add another handle and possibly add some scroll or rags (like the cloak) hanging off it. I'm not sure yet, we'll see.

I don't have a Monolith built yet, the next batch are going to be another 5 Warriors and some Destroyers, then I might start on the 'Lith!

·
for good and for awesome!
1,492 Posts
Great choice of colors. So continues the demise of trash-can-'Crons.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Thats actually VERY cool dude, the metal necrons are so overdone, I guess people do it out of lazyness but this is fantastic and clean!

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
Great contrasting colours you have here, and nice job with the red rods. Agree with everyone about the scythe being too short however but it seems you've already started on making it longer so that's good =). Yeah, it does indeed seem people got bored of metal crons, but that's not really surprising. They look so boring =|. I'd like to see some flayed ones done in this colourscheme, however, they'd look great splattered in blood if you can do it right ^.^

·
Registered
470 Posts
They look a lot better then those standard metal ones. How did you do the red on their weapons?

·
ISIS Secret Agent Squishy
1,875 Posts
Excellent work....makes me a little jealous :/

About the only nitpick I can make is the fact that the eyes seem to be the same colour as the rest of the Cron.

Other than that though, they are a top quality paintjob.

·
290 Posts
Look good Ravendove. The look is very creepy, like the anatomy skeleton models in a science classroom. Strong basing as well.

I think adding a red-rod on the end of the Lord's scythe would lengthen it and make it more necronish and less akward.
I agree, other that that amazing

any chance of a guide?

·
Registered
104 Posts
whoa, love the scheme.
So simple aswell. As other have said, the contrast between the red and bone is what really make these stand out. God job on the bases too.
:soldier:

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
It looks very good, bright and clean! My compliments!

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Cheers everyone. I'm not really a painter so it's great to have some feedback (and criticism). I'll do my best to answer some of the questions.

... I'd like to see some flayed ones done in this colourscheme, however, they'd look great splattered in blood if you can do it right ^.^
I'm definitely going to attempt some Flayed Ones, but I've got some issues with the metal models and I'm looking around for some bits to convert regular Warriors and use putty for the flayed skin. My initial idea was to get some Gaunt scything talons and work with them, but we'll see.

They look a lot better then those standard metal ones. How did you do the red on their weapons?
I used plastic rod by a company called Plastruct. They do lots of sizes and colours, the one I used is 2.4mm (3/32") Flourescent red. Catalogue number FARR-3H. This shop on eBay stocks a large number of Plastruct products.

About the only nitpick I can make is the fact that the eyes seem to be the same colour as the rest of the Cron.
I'm terrible with small details so I left them out, haha.

any chance of a guide?
Sure, I'll spray the next batch now and write up a guide in a bit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think this scheme is awesome. It's bright and fresh, and captures the undead/skeletal feel of the Necrons. The red on the weapons really makes them seem malevolent. The black weapons seem a bit flat though. More highlights? Other than that, this is brilliant, one of my favourite 'cron schemes on the interwebs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
First off, may I say that is an excellent scheme. If I'd not just finished up 3,000pts of Metal Crons, I'd be inclined to give it a go!

I'm definitely going to attempt some Flayed Ones, but I've got some issues with the metal models and I'm looking around for some bits to convert regular Warriors and use putty for the flayed skin. My initial idea was to get some Gaunt scything talons and work with them, but we'll see.
I've considered this for a while, but gave in last Xmas and bought the metal minis. However, I ended up making some plastic Tomb Spyders (well.... a Destroyer with a modified Gauss Gun and Claw), but I struggled on making the claw. In the end I took a pair of Zombie scythe blades to make a Pincer, but you could easily make Flayed ones have a blade on each hand rather than small blades.

It'd also fit with your Lord's image, kinda like re-enforcing the Reaper image. The other option if you have access to Zombie spares is the knife blades they can be equipped with, and stick 2 on each hand... sort of like stabby hooves!

Anywho, keep up the excellent work and I look forward to seeing more of it :)

1 - 20 of 103 Posts