Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
the mandrake
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just realiseed that my local book store sells tons of 40K novels! Are there any you could recommend based on fluffyness and general awesomeness? I'm getting the Heresy books first but any others I should look out for??
Thanks, Bob.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
The gaunt's ghosts novels are all really, really good! (i mean really good, did i say they where good?).

Storm of Iron is good too, the space wolf novels are ok, not great.

Reactions: Dracon Bob

·
the mandrake
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gaunts Ghosts!!! I totally forgot about them. I'm definately picking them up too, I'm still spewing that I missed all the minis on ebay for $30AUD.... My sisters fault that was... I've been reading that one of the authors, C.S Goto is it??, butchers fluff like a Khorne worshipper.. Isn't he the guy who wrote the Dawn of War novels?
Anyway, thanks for the reply, 1 post away....:|
Bob.

EDIT: There are about 9 bugs on my screen at the moment, just thought you would all be interested:D

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
C.S. Goto isn't terrible but the first Dawn of War book isn't very good. The ones after it are a bit better, though that could just be because I play Blood Ravens. Storm of Iron and Lord of the Night are good in terms of Chaos Space Marines and out of the Ultramarine series, I'm told that Dead Sky, Black Sun is the best though you can gloss over the other ones. Apparently the fluff is pretty butchered in James Swallow's Blood Angels series (I think it was James Swallow anyway).

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Gaunt's Ghosts is the best series I've read so far. The first book is a little shallow, yet still good, but you'll be purely hooked after that. The stories just keep getting deeper and deeper. To be totally honest, the last book (Only in Death) almost made me cry. Almost...

And then if you like Dan Abnett because of that I highly recommend the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies.

But for a special treat, try his "Brothers of the Snake". It was the first piece of Space Marine fiction I found that the Marines actually had some depth of character.

You just can't go wrong reading Dan Abnett...:C

Reactions: Dracon Bob

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
The Eisenhorn trilogy is a must-read - without doubt the best 40k books written so far.
The GG series is also quite good, if you want fast and brutal action.
Lord of the Night by Simon Spurrier is excellent and I recommend Brothers of the Snake as well.

Really, if it says Dan Abnett on the book then it will be of top quality. :)

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
The Space Wolves books are good, bar the newest of them which is written by two different authors.

I would say the Ultramarines books are good also, but if you read them, make sure you read Storm of Iron BEFORE you read Black Sun, Dead Sky (At least I think that is the title, its the 3rd UM book anyway.) This is because there is stuff in BSDS that you won't know what it means unless you read SoI. Its also one reason why a lot of people don't like the 3rd UM novel, because they don't know about the things that happen in SoI. Not that its their fault mind... it doesn't mention it anywhere in the omnibus about it at all.

Avoid stuff by C.S Goto unless you want to cry.

Dan Abnett books tend to be really good, but some of them have somewhat dodgy and rushed endings sometimes.

Ben Counter is another cracking author also.

Also, I would also point you in the direction of the Arbites books. I can't remember the author though.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ben Counter's Grey Knights and its sequel Dark Adeptus are both incredible. The story doesn't get overcomplicated, but the plot twists are well thought-out - there are several very unexpected twists and revelations that only begin to make true sense near the end... all in all a great read, and it seems Counter has intended them to be a trilogy of some sort - I'm hoping there will be a third book released some time in the future. :)

And as has been said above, you can't really go wrong with Dan Abnett.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
It's OOP, but the sabbat worlds crusade background book is one of the coolest books i own. It has a lot of cool imagery and maps and stuff. If you do find this book somewhere (it's larger than a normal novel, it's more a4 size) pick it up!

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
How do they compare to 'proper' books, i dont generally like Sci-Fi, about the only Sci-Fi authors ive read and enjoyed are Ian M Banks and Phillip K D ick, so ive tended to avoid the 40k stuff. I am an avid reader though- are they worth trying?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You mean something like this one?
Haven't heard a word before, thanks!!!

How do they compare to 'proper' books, i dont generally like Sci-Fi, about the only Sci-Fi authors ive read and enjoyed are Ian M Banks and Phillip K D ick, so ive tended to avoid the 40k stuff. I am an avid reader though- are they worth trying?
It's a mixed bag, really. Some are really good and some shouldn't be touched to a ten-foot pole (*cough* C.S. Goto *cough*). The rest places in the middle.

If you're about to start, I'd suggest picking up Grey Knights and Dark Adeptus, and something of Abnett's work (take a pick yourself, there's a LOT to choose from :p).

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
Most certainly the Grey Knights trilogy! The Ultramarines lot are fantastic, plus a fourth is coming out later in the year (Killing Ground, The by Graham McNeill | The Black Library | Bringing the worlds of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 to life.) The cover art appears to show pasanius I think, seeing as he has no right arm. I will what others have said, READ STORM OF IRON BEFORE YOU READ DEAD SKY, BLACK SUN!! I did and was thoroughly glad.

The Last Chancers omnibus was a cracking read im my opinion. Rather funny in some places.

Good luck finding your kind of books! There's so many you just can't go wrong!

:happy:

P.S. Hammer of Daemons is a lot better than I thought, despite being a little tragic. Still, my favourite character survived, I won't say who though! ;)

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
Well, I have heard (and read) about a lot of people who know nothing of 40K and who have not read any Sci-Fi before and have absolutley loved the Eisenhorn trilogy. Really, if you want to start out with 40K reading, you cannot go wrong with Eisenhorn since no other books released by the Black Library can really compare to it. I cannot recommend it enough.

But apart from that, yeah, it is a mixed bag. Some are excellent and some are sub-par. A lot of the books feel like they are following set guidelines ("Include x ammount of violence in every chapter, have plot-twists that are kinda cheesy and predictable etc").

James Swallows earlier work (the Deus-series) are really bad, from what I have heard, but Faith & Fire is okay (it doesn't hide that it follows those guidelines). The first Dawn of War book is also quite bad from what I have heard.

In terms of sourcebooks, The Sabbat Worlds Crusade, as mentioned by Zem, is excellent. Especially if you are a fan of Gaunt's Ghosts.
Xenology is also great. With an intresting story in it, too!

·
335 Posts
It should be a sin to ever look/read or even consider getting a C.S. Goto book...
They are infact that bad. My favs are when a Terminator jumps around on a bttlefeild like a freaking ninja. And when a bunch of kids take down a Eldar Falcon with rocks. Not kidding.

A amazing book is Night Haunter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have just started reading the 40k books and have made my way though about 5 of them so far. I started out with the first book in the Horus Heresy saga and was impressed. It didn't really capture my attention right off the bat because I was expecting it to move faster than it did. It did an excellent job at laying the foundation and then really gets good in a few parts. The last chapter of the book just made it for me.

After that I moved on to the Eisenhorn collection and just loved it. It starts out fast paced and gets better from there. The last book in the series was my least favorite. I think it was because you become emotionally attached to the characters and really bad stuff starts happening to them. Overall it was fantastic and for the price you can't beat it - it is about $11 for three collected books.

I am currently about finished with the first book in the Last Chancers collection. So far it has been very entertaining and I think it is about to get really good. I think they end up fighting the Tau at some point so I am a bit skeptical of that but for the price you really can't go wrong. Like the other collected books this one is about $11 for 3 books.

Once I finish this I am planning on picking up the Grey Knights and Dark Adeptus books based on what others in this post have said.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.