Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, well i'm subjecting you to yet more Marines so sorry about this. With the new Blood Angel Codex i thought i'd actually get around to blowing the dust off my, built but not undercoated, Blood Angel army. It's been sitting in a case for about 2 years crying out for some paint so here i am.

Hopefully this thread and your constant support/nagging will make me get this army done..

Here's some pictures of my work so far. Company Veterans. There are more but the rest of the pictures turned out rubbish.

A finished model!!

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
*looks at the 'finished model'*

Hm...shouldn't be be black, with crosses on or something? :p They're looking great. The gold is really well done, its not too new and shiny looking, which is the problem I find with a lot of gold. This looks aged and a bit worn.

I look forward to more!

Kuffy

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kuffy: Lol yeah maybe. The pose was completely stolen off the limited Edition templars Champion. I think it turned out alright.

MrDee: Shhh :p alright he isn't finished finished but the model is finished :p

Right anyway, sorry it's been so long for an update but i paint rather slowly and i've been dragged around by the Mrs all weekend so havent had a chance to get on here.

Some pics of the Veterans. still not finished but getting these.

First, the apothecary. Not sure what colour to do the sword now that i've done the cloak Red. Silver or maybe i'll just go with Red like the others.

Guy with two Chainswords.

Guy with 2 Power Swords.

Model no way at all inspired by the film Equilibrium

Guy with Ork Axe. Really liking this model now.

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
Really like what you are doing here. Some nice freehand work. ;-)

Couple obs' if it helps. Get yourself a pin drill and drill your gun barrels out. Really does make mini's look alot better with proper barrels. Only started doing that in the last 12 months myself and I kick myself for not doing it sooner. Also just the slightest bit of highlighting on the black furniture of the bolt pistols will make them look alittle more 'real'.

·
10,982 Posts
I agree with Justice about the bolters, drill them out. It does look so much better. I really like them, the gold stands out really well. I particularly like the one with the ork choppa, it looks great - the checks are very cleanly done. Great work so far!

Kuffy

·
Registered
825 Posts
Wow, those look fantastic. I have to agree with the others that the gold looks really good. The overall tone looks muted in a good way.

If you don't mind me asking where did you acquire the helmets?

Looking forward to more of your work.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok Ok i'll drill out the Bolt Pistols :p I intended to do so but forgot and sprayed them before i realised. I'll go back and get the drill out. Luckily there's only 3 Bolt pistols in the whole 10 man squad and 2 of those are on one guy.

Chirality: The Heads are from the Iron Warriors Conversion pack. Unfortunatly you only get 2 in the pack and it's £8 (or was). I got all mine when they were getting rid of Part order. I only ordered 50 and i'm gutted i didn't order more. I love those helmets. I don't think you could do those models nowa days unless you had a stupid amount of money. They compromise about 4 or 5 different kits. (Iron Warriors, Khorne Berzerkers, Assault Marines, Chaos Marines, Metal Shoulder pads)

If anyone is interested this is how i did the gold.

Basecoat/Shade: 50/50 Tin Bitz and Brazen Brass.
-Paint this all over the model. All over. All over it i tell you.
Block Colour: Brazen Brass.
-Leave the Shade in the recesesses.
First highlight: 75/25 Brazen Brass and Shining Gold
-Paint the large skyward plates like the tops of shoulder pads, top half of knee pads, backs of calfs, top half of arms etc.
Second highlight: Add to that mix a tiny touch of Mithril silver.
-Do the highlights.
Third highlight: Add more Mithril
-Paint the extreme highlights.

Updates to come shortly. Hopefully i'll get the squad done this week as i'm on late shifts and get the mornings to myself. Hurrah! If you want anything else explained just ask.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The Heads are from the Iron Warriors Conversion pack. Unfortunatly you only get 2 in the pack and it's £8 (or was). I got all mine when they were getting rid of Part order. I only ordered 50 and i'm gutted i didn't order more. I love those helmets. I don't think you could do those models nowa days unless you had a stupid amount of money. They compromise about 4 or 5 different kits. (Iron Warriors, Khorne Berzerkers, Assault Marines, Chaos Marines, Metal Shoulder pads)
Ah, well that's a shame. I'll have to keep my eyes open for those. Thanks!

How do you plan on basing them?

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you plan on basing them?
Not sure just yet. I'm thinking of just plain sand with some slate painted grey. City fight like with maybe a few bits and bobs liek skulls and what not to break it up. I don't want to much going on as i think it detracts from the model itself. Plus i think a plain Grey will work well with both Gold and Red.

Speaking of Red is there anyone out there who has a decent way of painting Dark Red? Mine always comes up too light or orange. I want basically a Red Gore kinda colour. I'd appreciate links to threads or what have you.

Ignore him Borak. He's just grumpy
Was he abused by bases at an early age?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Model no way at all inspired by the film Equilibrium
I really like this pose and why didn't it think of that? The gold is well done, the helmets scream crusade and black templars. Also, what's bugging me the msot is those mold lines, especially those on the helmets!

Otherwise, very good.

thanks
antique_nova

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Right. An update of sorts.

Here's some pics of the things to come. The Veterans are almost done but i shant bother with any new pics untill they're finished.

This Hoard of Marines is the whole army. Although it's missing the Venerable dread (thats on order) and 2 Jetbikes that will count as Land Speeders.

Some Close up shots of the Assault Marines.

Now to the tactical Marines. I've still got to drill the bolters ;)

Last but by no means least is Sergeant Bantha who will be joining the Veterans. I'm not sure about the Chainsword arm yet. I'm gutted i didn;t put the Ork axe on him but hey. Cloten will have to wait ;)

·
10,982 Posts
That's a great looking force you have there dude. I like how they're all on the move. Do you intend to have them all running? You should just cut the chainsword off and give him an ork choppa. ;)

Kuffy

1 - 20 of 271 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.