Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, its me again.....what do you mean "who are you?" I'll have you know I'm damn near Famous! ;p

I, am the one who brought to you many fine things! Such as;

The Orange Grey Knights!(<-Link)

The Fully Magnetically-Modular Orange Baneblade!(<- Moar Link)

The Mini Warhound!
(<-Yet Link Again...wait..)

And now I want o bring you the Yummy Good-ness™ of a Custom Ironclad!

I'm sure some of you have seen some pics that have been floting about, and I was less then impressed, kinda the same with the Vendread kit they released....anyways! My biggest gripe? The Seismic Hammer.

See the way I see it a Seismic Hammer isn't a Seismic Hammer unless its a Seismic Hammer

Theres also the fact that the Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon(Henceforth DCCW) on teh Ironclad is larger and more destructive looking....for no reason, it has no specials ruels or effects, so I don't see the point of it.

Thats the jist of it, I'm still browsing around for ideas, and I have a few tricks up my sleeve for.....rapid prototyping.....lets just say.

If anyone has any ideas or comments thay are gladdly welcome! Thats why it's Called Brainstorming people!

Also, just to say it before it gets asked, no it won't be Painted orange, rather it will match the rest of my Marine Army(List Available HERE if interested.)

Mike

·
Registered
193 Posts
Can someone get the photo of the Kel'Shan fire warrior from pg59 of the tau codex.
Cover the dreadnought in the same plasticard as what they used on the base, to represent he's more heavily armoured.
The hammer problem, i can't think of a way round it, and have it still look good.

Overall, i'd say an industrial look for something like an ironclad.

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Captain Jesus: I don't think something like that would work sadly, just the fact its all flat as well.

Dead Dude Walking: WEll first teh Seismic Hammer isn't a FW part, if you aren't familiar with it yet I suggest doing a google search for Ironclad Dreadnought and take a look to see what it really looks like.

Secondly, I can't quite tell form the pic, but have you just comepltwely replaced the entire arm setup to stick the hammer in there?

Mike

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, if you really want something that looks 'hammer' like, one of the Chaos Dreadnought CC weapons is a hammer. You could probably find and modify that bit, or create something similar from scratch. Alternately, I've seen a few conversions where people have modified a standard dreadnought fist to be 'holding' a massive thunderhammer (but personally I've always thought these look awful).

What I think would be really cool is going with more of a pile driver style. A long, heavy beam of metal that can be forced forward. Something like this (excuse the awful picture):

·
Happy strokes, happy s...
601 Posts
Well, if you really want something that looks 'hammer' like, one of the Chaos Dreadnought CC weapons is a hammer. You could probably find and modify that bit, or create something similar from scratch. Alternately, I've seen a few conversions where people have modified a standard dreadnought fist to be 'holding' a massive thunderhammer (but personally I've always thought these look awful).

What I think would be really cool is going with more of a pile driver style. A long, heavy beam of metal that can be forced forward. Something like this (excuse the awful picture):

What he's talking about here would be wicked. It'd basically be a heavy-duty pneumatic press with no guard on it. If you go that route, which I think would look pretty sick, make the impact head a bit bent or blunted from so much use. Add a little bit of gore and I think you'd have it. To get a better idea of what the colors from it being used would look like, look up pneumatic presses or something like that.

It'd pretty much be an impact punch/battering ram from hell.

Jake

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That Chaos hammer is about....oh.....300-400% too SMALL! :D

I've done some more poking around and like what Cadaver Junkie did with his Ironclad. I was thinking more of just a 1-handed hammer, but in the same style, I would also do something different than just have a hand holding on to it, I'd probably revome teh hand and make a special 'hammer-joint'.

As for the Piston idea, while I do like it(Reminds me of the Marauder)it doesn't quite fit the effect you know? Maybe I'll make something differnet for the regular DCCW.....

Mike

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remember that 'Rapid Prototyping' thing I mentioned?

Wellll......

Would you agree that it is a fair representation of a standard Space Marine Dreadnought no?

I'll be testing my ideas out on this guy first ;p

Haven't done anything yet thought, taking this kinda slow and steady....

Mike

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Ha nice computer skills! Lemmie just show you the similarities I was talking about.

~

Ya see?

Anyway, my Idea was to have the base of the hammer covered in motors and pistons and whatnot, to show that the hammer can swing. and have the melta on the side of the arm. The arm itself is just a DCCW with it's fingers and some more things removed.

Giddit?:soldier:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I agree, that is not a hammer... it looks like 4 spiky balls on springs, now how the hell is that supposed to kill anything???

Maybe the drednought could be resting it on the ground? they are OAPs in battle suits after all.

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here's some pics of a potential hammer, not final yet, still trying to find a style that works for me, also and arm system at works too....

My reasoning for placing the Hammer on the Left is because there aren't any Left-sided DCCW arms xD Like this I can just modify a gun arm to give me the hammer arm and just use the "stock" DCCW to do the other arm, not quite sure how I want to model the Heavy Flamer and Meltagun yet. I was thinking of doing the HF with the DCCW, either teh 'normal' way for building it into the hand, the Melta I figure I might stick it on top of the Hammer so it kinda looks like a decorative spike, and out spews Vehicular death! :D

EDIT: Like This!

Comments?

Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the Furioso Dreadnought come with a left and right DCCW claw? that could probably be modified to incorporate the hammer as a built in weapon, rather than having two claws grasping a 2 handed hammer.

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
Yeah, i think the 'hammer' would look better as a built in weapon rather than a brick on a stick (not knocking your design, that's just the best analogy i could come up with for a hammer).

I think something like an enormous pneumatic ram (or pair of rams!). Imagine a meat tenderisng hammer combined with a boxing glove. That's what a dreadnaught wants for plowing through walls.

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
This art brutalisastion is the nearest thing i could whip up of what I imagine-

It's not pretty but i'm supposed to be studying.

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahh, the Fallout 3 Power Fist...

But I still don't know, on one hand, it works as a weapon, on the other, I don't feel that kind of thing would create the kind of effects the rules have it creating....

Also I'll admit I'm biased towards the Hammer, like I said, a Seismic Hammer isn't a Seismic Hammer unless its a Seismic Hammer.

IF anyone has any specific hammer designs they like let my know(makes note to ask Arkeh if the WFB Dwarfs have any nifty hammers)

Mike

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
The thing on the end is a meat tenderiser hammer. That's got to be an appropriate hammer. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Neeko, I dunno if you missed the pics I just posted, but I'm not doing a 2 handed Seismic Hammer....

Also the Claws on the Blood Angel Dreads are different and trying to convert such a metal-y-metal model would be a pain.

Mike
ah i see, i clicked the reply button before giving the pics enough time to load :silly:

i like the idea you've got going there, im really interested to see how this turns out on an actual dreadnought ^_^

1 - 20 of 26 Posts