Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've finally decided I want to write up some fluff my marine army. I know a bit about the 40k universe, but not as much as many of the people here, so I figured I'd get some expert opinions on some of my ideas before i go too far down a dead end.

My color scheme is similar to that of the hawk lords, purple armor with golden trim, I love how these colors work together, and half my army is painted in them, so the colors aren't up for debate. A reason for the colors fluff-wise, I was thinking it could be due to a defect in the gene-seed causing retinal mutations which gave their visual range a major blue-shift, so they no longer see the upper end of the spectrum such as red, but they see green, blue, and ultra violet. The purple armor would appear much more brilliant to them,and it would be easier to see in the heat of battle so they don't go hitting each other.

If the defect needed explanation as to how it came to be, It could be explained as an experiment gone wrong. The experiment being to tune the eyes of a space marine to detect x-rays, allowing them to see through walls when a signifigant source of radiation is available.

Another idea I've been toying with, would be to incorporate my ork army into this fluff, effectively killing 2 birds with one stone so i don't have to go and write up a whole nother set of fluff for my orkses. My idea is that they both share a home world, and have a symbiotic relationship. The ork threat would make life a struggle for the regular humans living on the planet, and the fighting would produce a battle-hardened population, perfect for recruitment into the marines.

To add even more flavour to the orks and humans, The chapter master could have an uncanny ability to communicate with the orks, earning him the nickname "The Ork Whisper'er" and he could have arranged with the Ork warboss a pact, where the orks can do all the krumpin they wanted, and the marines get all the battle experience they can.

Once again those are just ideas I'm toying around with, I wont take it personally if they're completely implausible, or dumb. Comments and criticisms always welcome.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Your ideas are pretty good. i like the whole armour and genetic defect thing.
Also the ork living on the planet as well.
BUT you have a problem. There is no way in hell that a chapter master would ever talk and communicate with an ork. the minute they conspire the chapter master and his entire chapter would be considered heretic.
You might just want to stick to the story that both races live on this planet and they have been fighting for it for centuries (alot like Armageddon).
That i reckon is a better fluff story.:act-up:

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Orks aren't your garden-variety predator. Leave them alone on a planet for long enough and they will overrun it. They just spawn too fast.

That said, a garden-variety predator (maybe a dino-holdover or something) is an excellent idea that gives color to your chapter and can be incorporated in a number of ways.

For example, let's call this creature the xDino. Just because it's silly.

Perhaps the xDino is native to the planet (or even better, was a prior genetic experiment) and while it is a massive threat, when one is killed (with, say, a bolter) it provides a huge amount of food to the relatively barren planet, as well as its bones and organs which make good tools, huts, whatever you can think of.

Part of the rites of becoming a Space Marine could be killing these guys without guns - sent into the wilderness barehanded or with a ritual knife or some-such. The initiate is required to find an xDino, kill it, bring it to the Chapter Master (with no bullet wounds on the xDino) and then decapitate it, cover his new armor in their inexplicably purple blood (it's cheaper than paint!), drink a small amount (which activates their otherwise-dormant defect, though they don't know that), and bring the rest to their village/tribe as a peace offering from the Chapter, because after all, a Space Marine Chapter walks in and takes away some of their best providers. If one wants a sustainable population, one must give back somehow.

Anything like that works, really. I came up with that and typed it all up in less than 10 minutes, so I'm sure you'll think of something. Read over old army fluff on this forum and see if there are any aspects of previous stories that catch your eye.

Edit: You may use this idea if you want. My syntax wasn't clear in that regard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.