Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite brand of miniature paint and why?
I have found that the Vallejo brand is top of the line. I discovered it about two years ago and tried it on advice from a friend. Plesant surprise :eek:
I basecoat black and the true test of a paint is how well the white, reds, and yellows cover a black basecoat. Another surprise. Good.
I dont much care for their flesh tones but every other color I tried I'm quite happy with. A little expensive at $2.75 for two oz but I'v never had a paint dry out and I've had some for two years. They come in a small. plastic squeeze bottle, so you have to use a pallatte and squeeze just what you need. The pigment is very fine, so they have to be shaken up really well. And they are acryllic based so water cleanup .
All in all I highly recommend this brand of paint. If your local hobby store doesnt carry it, a lot of retailers on the web are starting to.
"Every day above ground is a good day"

·
Registered
53 Posts
im kinda new to this hobby so i have of course only really used citadel paints... but i do find the metal of citadel very annoying wit the flakes of silver showing when you water it down, i would love to try vallejo, i have heard a lot of good about them... if only i found a store that carried them...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Another thing that is annoying with the citadel paint is that it has a tendency to dry out, in the "new" containers. ( the ones with screw on top ) With the old ones I never had this problem....

·
Registered
278 Posts
The brands I like are Testors and Revell, since they have paint specifically designed for my IG army. They're real cheap too, for $5.00 I can get about 8 paints, 2 brushs, brush cleaner, sand paper, and a modeling knife, whereas for $5.00 I can get 2 citadel paints. They also aren't so confusing with names, they have dark green, light gray, whereas if I was knew to Warhammer 40k I woulnd't have a clue as to what Snake Bite Leather was or Space Wolves Gray.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I can't say I like revell paints, if you are thinking of the same type as I am then these are oilbased paints.

I used revell paints before, but I went over to citadel paints because:
-They take ages to dry.
- They are oilbased, therfore they need solvents, which is not a good idea to put everywhere in the house.

Well thats about it...

Cheers!

PS! Don't use waterpaint, the ones you get aa paperstore...

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Well I'm quite happy with citadel paint, the only thing I don't like is that certain colours like sunburst yellow take a lot of coats to look good, but now I mix sunburst yellow with rotting flesh which works pretty good :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paints

If I'm going to use an oil or enamel based paint, I prefer Humbrol. I've used these for years and am quite happy with them. But like the Vallejo paints, they have to be mixed really well to work correctly.
Due to the fact that my 3 year old grandson is over quite often I've stuck to the water soluable paints like vallejo.
For weathering purposes I use chalk pastels mixed with a little water. This works great on any brand of miniature paint I've used so far.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The paint boss.... :)

ok, here is the skinny.....

testors Acryls are amazing. Good for base painting and airbrushing....water clean up. good colors.

PolyScale, same info as above. Some say you can airbrush this brand right from the bottle, no need to "cut" the paint. means to thin it out for airbrushing. I usually cut all my paint with FloAid or Testors Acryl thinner.

Tamyia Acryls are wonderful too. Some of the best colors. You should cut this paint.

And then you have the enamals. Testors Model Master and Humbrol are great. Espesiall Humbrol. Cut these paints if airbrushed. They work well for high lighting.

Thats that. If you want more info and to see what the paints are like, go to www.panzer-world.net You can see the models under Bill Christofidis and Ronnie Lamorte. These were painted in the Acryl Paints mentioned above. If you need more info, let me know.

·
Registered
148 Posts
as far as the citadel paint.....well. As a veteran modeller, i say it sucks out of the bottle. Goes on too thick and ruins the texture, BUT I have discoved a new method. I take a plastic cap from a Pringles chip can and use it as my mixing tray (make sure you wash it first). Then I take the paint I want to use and an eye dropper and add rubbing alcohol to the paint. If the paint is about the size of 2 or 3 quarters, i put 2-3 drops. not too much, but just enough to make the paint looser.

this way the paint will not be too thick and look like crap when applied to the model!!! I will post soon some pics and show you what I mean....

Hope this helps you guys.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I like citadel paint i've been using it for the last 8 years the only complaint i have about it is the bloody screw tops are so annoying to get off, i end up using pliers sometimes!
I hate oil based paints, they smell and using solvent is annoying.
I find that if you drybrush everything You dont loose the textures.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paints

I'm not crazy about citadel paints either. I dont like they way they cover a black basecoat. I've even used some craft paints from Wal-Mart and Michaels that I prefer. Some of the metallics are really good like pewter and black pearl.
The dry brush technique I use a lot. Especally for skin. I just dry brush heavy or light depending on the effect I want.

·
Registered
148 Posts
try acryl paints from Tamiya, Testors and Poly S.

I only own a few Citadel paints and again, I mix them with rubbing alcohol...works well...for Citadel paints.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I think Tamia is great...

But when it comes to the Humbrol and revell brands, mainly because what I mentioned earlier, but also...
They tend to give a glossy finish....

I know i know, the solution is matt vanish... tada!

But I prefer Citadel...

Salut!

·
Registered
148 Posts
alcohol over water....not much of a difference except that there are impurities in the water and chemicles. I use the rubbing alchohol (clear) so it evaporates faster, its smoother and its clean....no impurities!!! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alcohol

What effect if any, does the alcohol have on your brushes when you go to clean them? I assume you clean up with water? The idea appeals to me I must say, and the next time I have to thin some water based paints I'll try it. I just get real picky (my wife calls it anal :lol: ) about my brushes.
I even have two sets, one for acryllics and one for oils and enamels.

·
Registered
148 Posts
cleaning

I only thin the Citadel paints with the rubbing alcohol. The Testers and PolyScale I use acryl paint thinner. There is NO problem cleaning them with water and NO effect on them either. I astually use this method:

paint
rinse in water
swish brush in acryl cleaner
rinse in water again
dab dry
paint again

at the end of the session I swish the brushes in laquer thinner to really get rid of the paint! Then I let air dry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Paints I have used:

Vallejo MODEL Color -- colors are great except the metallics
Vallejo GAME Color (just recently)
Citadel -- bottles stink, paint is good (Windsor and Newton make it)
NITRO by Cell Entertainment
Coat D'arms (old GW paint maker)
Ral Partha (my favorite, best flesh tones and best bottles)
PRO PAINTS by Reaper
Dragon Paint -- no longer made --very toxic

Other paints to look at:

Foundry -- they come in the old GW style Flip-Top-Lids and you buy them in pallette sets. I hear their Black Pallette is the best out there.

Tamiya Sprays -- I am told the Luftwaffe Light Green spray is GREAT if your doing a Salamanders army.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.