Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had a thought how does the religios system work?. We all now a bit about the Empire with it two main churches and many littler ones but how does it work in bret? Do they all go to a "church" of the Lady and is so what would it be called as "Church of the lady" is to close to the Christian religion and namings.

Also how do normal common brets go about thier religios practices? as we know that all the castles have a chapel in the walls do they go to a building in thier villiges, troop up to the castle, go to a shrine when ever time/ pioty allows or proform what ever needs to be do to get the ladies blessing for the next day at home before going to bed.

Question number 3 who are the religios leaders of the brets and do they have them as i assume that the damsails don't just go down into to villages once a week and lead the prayer of the masses?

Thanks for any infomation in advance.

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Good question, there hasn't really been much information on the religious activities of the Bretonnians.

From what I know of the Bretonnia faith is that there don't seem to have any formalised churches or places of worship. There might be one or two chapels in the major cities of each duchy but in general I would say they are less organised than the Empire. What makes me say this? Its their Goddesses name. Lady of the Lake. She, as a deity, from the information I remember is a more natural Goddess. They worship her in nature. This is why lakes and woods are important to the Bretonnians, as the Lady will appear most likely in these locations. It would seem odd for there to be an organisation to the religion when their Goddess seems a bit fickle. There are however chapels dedicated to her, these are where the Grail Knights dwell. They are known to live near these sacred locations - generally where she has appeared - and to protect them.

I would imagine that the commoners are a little bothered by the Lady, she tends to come across as a more noble Goddess - ie one that is more concerned with the nobility than the commoners. You must remember to the knights (aka the nobility) the common people are nothing but chaff, they care nothing for them. I have never gotten the feeling that the peasants are indoctrinated into the religion like the Empire, as they are seen as nothing. The Empire is much more concerned with chaos and rebellion because the people have more freedom and that they are under threat from Chaos more and the priests must look after the people. I do not see this with Bretonnia.

Again, the damsels have never seemed to be much of a religious leader. Maybe for the knights and nobles, to remind them that the Lady is watching etc, but I doubt the care much for the peasants.

Overall I think that in Bretonnia religion is a noble deal, rather than for the masses overall. There might be a shine in the villages, maybe the nobles will tell them stories about the Lady. Or maybe they use story tellers to create faith or belief into the people, but personally I do not think there is much in the way of care for the general masses of Bretonnia.

Of course this is conjecturer as GW are a little lax on details of Bretonnian faith compared with that of the Empire or other such races.

Kuffy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Indeed, the peasants don't follow the Lady other than as far as the nobles require. Generally, they tend to pray to Ohbugger. In fact, you can hear them intone his name whenever a noble brings them news or gives a command.
:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bretonians are highly highly religious. All knights are sworn to the lady, and there tends to be chapels in every town or castle.

However the lady is indeed a more natural goddess. There are no grand cathedrals to her, unlike Sigmar or ulric. Instead there are sacred forests. Knights of the Grail are also considerred to be saints amongst the small folk (peasents).

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So as they worship at the local duck pond and shrubbry with the knights who say Nee then lol :D
So as opposed to the formal style of the empire they worship in thier own way and in thier own time probably lead by the village elder (who given life expectancy of bret peasants is about 35).

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Hmm Khazad, you seem to have an idea of what you'd like to do with Bret religion in your own fluff. Could you perhaps tell us what you have in mind? It would make it easier to pin down any particular information or problems in your exact case, rather than swinging a dagger in the dark and hoping to hit something important.

·
A legend in my own mind.
1,480 Posts
Hm, a nature goddess that has holy places in forests, groves and lakes, in a country that is extremely close to athel loran. Anyone else not see a possible connection of the Lady of the Lake and Queen Ariel of the Wood elves, who is suppose to be the rpresentative of Isha, elvan goddess of nature? It isn't that far fetched if you think about it

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm Khazad, you seem to have an idea of what you'd like to do with Bret religion in your own fluff. Could you perhaps tell us what you have in mind? It would make it easier to pin down any particular information or problems in your exact case, rather than swinging a dagger in the dark and hoping to hit something important.

Ye sure its been bugging me for a few days now as the Brettonians dont seem to have had thier religion fluff developed by GW. I know that prior to battle the damsials lead the knights in prayer so that they have the Blessing of the Lady but I was wondering how it worked in the day to day sence and wondered if anyone knew or their was an older story writen about it.

I know that thier are lots of Shrines dotted around Brettonnia to eather the Lady or the Grail depending on who saw what where and was wondering if that was it for the Brettonians or do they have a centrallised faith like most of the other religions arond both this world and the warhammer world and if so who were the leaders and weather they existed as a seperate entity out side the knightly feudal system which i don't see as happening or could they have a knightly group like the Knight Templar/ Hospitllar who administer to the faith of the populase and the knights allowing the Damsails to go of and do the Ladies work.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Ah, so you actually were looking for a generalized overview. I though perhaps you were trying to actually MAKE a brettonian holy order or something.
Okay, if you want the Brettonian religion in a nutshell here it is:

King Arthur - God = Brettonia

Basically, the entire Bret story is based on the legends of Arthur. Brettonian Knights however don't answer to God with the Lady as a subfigure. To them, the Lady is sort of God in her own right.
Also, the Damsals aren't really leaders of the faith. They aren't granted that high a roll. They are sorceresses, prophetesses and seeresses (lots of esses there :rofl) but they aren't leaders. They are more or less a representation of the Lady. Kind of like saying that Jesus or Mohammad IS not a minister or a religious 'leader' so much as a gateway to the Higher Power. Unlike preachers and ministers, who a taught to spread the word and bring members to the faith, Bretonnian Damsals are snatched at birth and raised to be closer to the Lady- this actually removes them from modern society. They couldn't 'lead' their way out of a paper-bag, except that knights will follow them with blind determination to honor the Lady.

Grail Chapels are not even meeting halls for their religion. The chapels instead, are more like the Crusade Churches. They are the small homes of relics of the Grail and provide a stop-over for knights on their quests. Think like the Nunnery in Monty-Python. Kinda like that, without the wild orgy.

In all, Brettonians need less religion because they are already 'honor bound' to be good people. The peasants are the exception, but they aren't religious so much as superstitious and backwards and FORCED to be good people. The Lady of the Lake is their ideal, and only the Chivalrous my meet her, and her representatives are to be treated with honor due a maiden. That's it in a nutshell- Brettonians are typical medieval religion. Organised religion like the Empire's didn't come around until the Renaisance.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Captian Sarathai thats what i was looking for. So basiclly they dont have an organised religion becouse they are sworn to be good or dont have the time to do evil things because thier to busy trying to live.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
The Brets as a whole seem to worship the nature deities - and the Lady (although prominent) isn't the only one. Morranon (sp?) the Sea God is also worshipped, obviously in the coastal areas, as well as several other gods and goddesses.
From what fluff I have read the Bret religious system is haphazard at best and is given more to superstition than a structured belief system.
A large part is played by the Fey - fairies, pixies, wood sprites etc - and being so close to Athel Loren this is entirely understandable.
Indeed it can be rather succesfully argued that the Lady of the Lake is naught more than a Wood Elf Spiritseer or possibly Ariel herself. The fey enchantress has stats and fluff more suited to a Spellsinger than a Sorceress - and there is nothing to oppose the idea that the wood elves 'developed' the brets to safeguard their borders.
As far as worship goes their are sacred pools, glades and other natural stuff that often house small shrines - sometimes looked after by a hermit knight (i.e. grail) or friar. The Brets are more into leaving sacrifices and gifts than lengthy sermons and from what I can see the general trend is: "If I leave the gods alone, and give them reular gifts, then they leave me alone and all is good" at least for the peasentry that is.

·
Hive Fleet Níðhöggr
247 Posts
Take a look at "Knights of The Grail - A Guide to Bretonnia" for WHFRP for an overview of Bretonnia in general and it also have a chapter about the religious system. Short version is: The Nobility have the Lady of the Lake-religion and the peasants usually worship the more "empirian" gods, especially Myrmidia, Taal, Rhya and Ranald (for the merchants) but by far the most worshiped is Shallya due to the hard life of the Bretonnian peasants.

EDIT

According to the sourcebook the Fay and the Fay Enchantress are nothing more than the Wood Elves of Athel Loren.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The code of chivalry that the knights live by is in fact religion. Like how Islam says you can't drink alcohal, the code of chivalry says you cannot use a bow. Its essentially bretonia's bible.

But yes peasents in Bretonia are... stupid. they are completely superstitious and are more then willing to make random fairies up, regardless if said fairies exist. Knights are not as superstitious, though there is still a certain level of superstition a knight thinks more of "Kill the monster in the woods" then "Hide from the monster in the woods". If that monster doesn't actually exist then the knight goes meh and moves on. The peasents are still hiding in huts at that point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts