Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to start work on a pure battlesuit Farsight Force, at the moment the 1500pt list consists heavily of crisis suits with 2 Riptides for support. But I maybe looking to get some Broadsides as well at some point to expand it to 1750 or field an alternative setup. Which brings me to the weapons...

With the Heavy Rail Rifles only being strength 8, 1 more higher than the high yield missile pods that fire 3 more shots than a Railgun I can't really see a reason behind taking these over HYMP?

I mean if I'm fighting a Land Raider or Leman Russ I can destroy it with a Fusion Blaster team far more easily than with Broadsides armed with Heavy Rail Rifles? Plus when fighting lighter vehicles it's easier to strip hull points off than try to destroy them with single shots? Anyway I'm eager to hear your thoughts about this?

Also sorry if this topic has been done before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The sheer volume of shots a HYMP puts out over a hr rifle overcomes the 1 point benefit to armour pen on vehicles and wounding targets from a mathammer perspective.

Where the hr rifle out performs is in range and ap value. However, the riptide with ion accelerator basically accomplishes this better, is more survivable, is more maneuverable, and is damn sexy.

So in short, the HYMP in its current 7ed connotation is a far better, more versatile option. This doesn't stop me from taking a couple solo hr rifle broadsides at 1850 though.

·
I Sincerely Want a Parrot
462 Posts
It all depends on your Meta. My meta is heavy Drop Pod Marine with Dreadnoughts and Terminators, so I'm a little biased, but I find HRR to be much better. I ran HYMP for a bit and wasn't impressed. The difference between S7 and S8 is huge. S8 causes instant death on most units in the game, including Terminator characters, and AP1 punches through every single base armour save in the game. AP1 also gives you +2 on the damage table, which is crucial, as spending one turn killing a vehicle outright is much much better than spending two turns glancing it to death. If you really want 4x missile shots per turn, you can get them on a crisis suit for less points with added flexibility.

·
Registered
807 Posts
1. An extra 24 inches of range can help if you aren't deploying on opposite long edges. If you're deploying on the short edges or on the diagonals, that might mean you threaten a greater range of units.

2. A Broadside 'vre is a character and so, with an Advanced Targeting System, he becomes Sniper Boss. He hits on a 4, precise shots on a 5 or 6, and he can reroll misses. That means that he hits 75% of the time, and he precise shots 50 of that 75%. Give him plasma rifles and point him at important guys in units. Maybe give him a smart missile if you really need to put the last hull point on a vehicle or kill a space marine/tyranid warrior/crisis suit, but you've got other tools for hurting vehicles elsewhere. (Also, it's worth noting that the number of precise shots he gets off actually goes down with increased BS, so he works well in lists with minimal markerlight support, since he'd only want it for shooting seekers and denying cover.)

3. Rule of Cool, he looks RAD carrying the big gun, as opposed to sad missile fists.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts