Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Festo Diata
Joined
·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a Tyranid player at my hobby store who deploys a Broodlord, with 9 Genestealers equipped with Scuttlers. They infiltrate, get a Scout move, and Fleet of Foot, and if he gets the first turn, they always get the charge. Always. So my question is,

Is this legal?

He says equipping his Genestealers with Scuttlers enables his Broodlord to get the upgrade for free as well. Infiltrate, Scouts, Move, Fleet, and Assault: 18" away, with a 19-24" possible move. It sounds too good to be true. Can anyone back this up? Thanks a lot.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
No, its not. Knock him out next time you see him. Cannot take scuttlers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Short answer is it is not legal.

First off the brodlord can not fleet of foot; it is not stated in his special rules in the codex so therefore he can’t. Second, giving the broodlord’s routine scuttlers does not confer the ability to the broodlord and there is no option for it in his profile.

For further information use the search option as there has been previous threads on this topic.

Hope that helps.
 

·
The Love Muffin
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
OT5 and LictorInTheGrass are correct.

Genestealers can Fleet and they can purchase Scuttlers, but a Brood Lord can't. So if the retinue has these biomorphs, they can't use their abilities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I have a question of my own, Say i give feeder Tendrils to my blood lord, do i have to give them to his retinue. If i don't then i am deffinantly taking it, help out my gaunts and Warriors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
schmallz said:
I have a question of my own, Say i give feeder Tendrils to my blood lord, do i have to give them to his retinue. If i don't then i am deffinantly taking it, help out my gaunts and Warriors.
I wouldn't think so, as he is an IC and can select things differently. It's like giving the BL EC or implant attack. You do not need to give it to stealer retinue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the answer is no. The brood lord and retinue both have different entries in the codex there for they do not have to have the same biomophs. For example if you gave the brood lord an acid maw that does not man that he retinue has to take it as the do not even have the option.
 

·
LO Zealot
Joined
·
1,568 Posts
Hah, that would be so unfair having a fleeting / scuttling broodlord infiltrate 12-18" away. Yeah, as mentioned, it's very illegal. Remember: Squads can only move as fast as their slowest model. In this case, the Broodlord with no scuttle and no fleet...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
How to prove it isn't legal

TwoHats said:
He says equipping his Genestealers with Scuttlers enables his Broodlord to get the upgrade for free as well. Infiltrate, Scouts, Move, Fleet, and Assault: 18" away, with a 19-24" possible move. It sounds too good to be true. Can anyone back this up? Thanks a lot.
The others have already said it, but here is how you can prove it to him.

In the main book, Universal special rules (I think it's page 85 or so). Each listing does or does not have an asterisk. If you checkl that asterisk's meaning, it says whether or not the ability is conveyed to ICs that join the unit (or to the unit an IC with the abliity joins).

Though I don't have my book with me, that should give you all you need to show that Scouting and Fleet are not granted to an IC that joins a unit that has them, and if an IC that has them joins a unit that does, the unit loses them while the IC is joined.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Honestly...why bother giving him or any other stealer tendrils? 95% of the time they still only need a 3+ to hit. What's the point?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Loestal said:
Honestly...why bother giving him or any other stealer tendrils? 95% of the time they still only need a 3+ to hit. What's the point?
It has an area affect that helps all models within a certain (don’t have my codex with me) number of inches. He wanted to use this effect to help out his gaunts and warrior as they would be hitting on a 3+ as well if they are close enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
OT5 said:
It has an area affect that helps all models within a certain (don’t have my codex with me) number of inches. He wanted to use this effect to help out his gaunts and warrior as they would be hitting on a 3+ as well if they are close enough.
IIRC, it's slightly better than that: It confers the 3+ ability to any UNIT that has a MODEL within X inches.

So an entire unit of gaunts ups their hit ratio quite a bit if you can get one of them close to a lictor or 'stealer with feeder tendrils. (whether or not you can do that decides whether or not they are worth the points).

Of course, I don't have my 'dex in front of me, so anyone trying to use this should check the actual rule (and look up the X inches :) )
 

·
Now with STFU flames!
Joined
·
5,917 Posts
Loestal said:
Honestly...why bother giving him or any other stealer tendrils? 95% of the time they still only need a 3+ to hit. What's the point?
Do you ever buy Adrenal Glands: WS for your Hormies? Warriors? With some extremely.... creative.... positioning, you can actually save yourself quite a fair number of points by just having a single model with Feeder Tendrils and having him near the other Broods.

Does that mean they're worth their points? Usually not. But there are ways of making them work for you.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top