Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having done a few of the SH termies I've been refining my ideas of how best to paint them. I've decided golg detailing is better than the yellow I had been using. To see all the ones I've done so far click on this link. http://www.librarium-online.com/for...ce-for-all-albums-space-hulk-terminators.html

I have also got hold of the heraldry for each guy so have painted that onto the shoulder pads of each. Thanks for looking and critisism is very welcome.;-)

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
They look really nice!
Good solid red, nice iconography, really nice gem effects and a good deep black.
A few thing to consider, though:
The chipping is definitely under-par, I think. The silver just doesn't look right. Have you ever tried trompe l'oeil chipping? There is a really nice article about it here:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/288/page/3
...but basically it involves painting on a dark scratch (in the case of the red, that would be something along the lines of a scorched brown/black mix), then a bright highlight along the bottom edge of the scratch (again, for red that would be a reddy-orange).

It will generally look a lot nicer than a straight silver scratch, as it fools the eye into thinking that there is actual depth to the scratch, it's not just painted along the surface.

Overall, though, really nice work.
Keep it up!

-t.

·
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They look really nice!
The chipping is definitely under-par, I think. The silver just doesn't look right. Have you ever tried trompe l'oeil chipping? There is a really nice article about it here:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/288/page/3
...but basically it involves painting on a dark scratch (in the case of the red, that would be something along the lines of a scorched brown/black mix), then a bright highlight along the bottom edge of the scratch (again, for red that would be a reddy-orange).

It will generally look a lot nicer than a straight silver scratch, as it fools the eye into thinking that there is actual depth to the scratch, it's not just painted along the surface.

Overall, though, really nice work.
Keep it up!

-t.
That is a great tip! Thanks lots. I'll be using that idea on the next ones I complete. ;-)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
nice i agree on the metal colours. but you could improve the assualt cannon by inky it and mixing chaos black and codex grey or a darker grey and work on the parts between the barrles in the gaps.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Very impressive job! I really like the depth you've managed in the red, and the gems look wonderful as well.

The parchment is very nicely done too. Very nice work, overall!

·
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. ;-) Nice to know that people like my efforts. I've just started work on some SW Characters and would like your thoughts on them when I've finished. Trying (as much as I could with the SH guys) to get e 'real' feel to my mini's.

Even the gold farmers love your Space Hulk termies Justice. I'd feel flattered.
I'm flattered indeed, but who are 'the gold farmers'?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.