Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the Black Templars campaign stuff on the GW website (via Black Gobbo) and it got me thinking. In all of the SM fluff I've seen they always seem to take recruits that are in their early teens. In this BT piece though it describes an IG sgt who goes off to join the Templars and seeks out their keep in the wilderness of his homeworld. Are there examples of other chapters taking adults as recruits? I thought that I had somewhere that the very first marines were made this way in the time before the Great Crusade. I had thought about using the idea of adult recruits from the IG in my Marine chapter. The general idea was that they were based on the same homeworld and the chapter would draw from the ranks of the IG. In game terms I would use my Marines and IG as allies in larger battles. This seemed like a good way to justify/explain their relationship. Anybody have any more info on the topic?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
That campaign is a bit of GW not paying attention to some of their earlier work. The reason a recruit is taken at an early age is because they stand the best chance of surviving the surgeries and implants that come with being a space marine. The older you get the less chance you have of the geneseed being able to be implanted in your body, and helping in running the body. It's is much rarer for other chapters do recruit older individuals, for this very reason but there must be some now and then.

Remember that for Templars it is not just your abilities that get you recruited, but faith can play a part in it to...8)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hmm...I'm not too sure about this. I seem to recall reading some Black Library books about the exploits of Ragnar Balckmane and IIRC he wasn't an acne faced pre-pubescent but a seasoned (albeit youthful) warrior about twenty-something. I agree with you that no SM chapter would recruit a geriatric but would more than likely take a chance on the odd grizzled veteran who displays the attributes they're looking for and if they don't survive the various geneseed procedures then they just harvest the geneseed and press on.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was curious if this was an exception or the rule as far as BT goes. It sounds like it may be more of an exception. I still think I may use the recruiting of IG vets as part of my chapter's fluff even though it doesn't sound liek a widespread practice.

·
948 Posts
I imagine it would be widespread, although not very common, practice.
Think about it-the second most devoted and skilled warriors in the Imperium, short of the Sisters, are the Guard. And there's billions of them. I could imagine, say, a Kasrkin fighting alongside the Marines, and impressing them enough to give him the chance to become a Marine himself or something.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
It was outlined clearly in Index Astrates, which is official GW fluff, that marine implants + adult = deformed freak.

Would you waste your most precious and valuable resource in creating a deformed, insane cripple?

Mid-late teens sometimes happens.. but adults never. A marine needs to incorporate all his implants before he finishes puberty at age 18-19, because they need to physically grow into the body while the hormonal cycle is correct.. If the hormones fail or become imbalanced, the result is generally catastrophic.

I'd guess the worlds they come from have a different definition of adulthood. It's not unprecedented at all for men in cultures with short life expectancies (like marine recruitment worlds) to be treated as full adults by early puberty. In fact, by historical evidence alone, you could easly say it's our culture which has an artificially long childhood, rather than the other way round..

·
Registered
867 Posts
I agree with Mantis on this one. Adults simply can’t become Marines, it is stated in the Index Astartes articles. In the golden days of the Great Crusade when the Emperor was still walking among men, it was indeed possible for adults to become Marines as you say, Lord Malachi; many of the Primarchs had their most trusted friends and warriors made into Space Marines. However, so much knowledge has been lost in the 41st millennium and the procedures become so heavily ritualised that it is simply impossible for adults to survive the transformation process into a Marine.

It is stated in the Index Astartes article on Space Marine implants that a subject can be no older than 12 years of age when receiving the first implants; personally, I would say that they could be older than that since the hormonal effect of the Ossmodula will only stop working when the growth zones of the long bones close naturally at age 18-22, and this seems to be the only implant that is truly limited by the recipient’s age. This is not canon fluff, however, and based purely on my own knowledge of the human body.

So can Space Marines recruit from the Imperial Guard? I suppose that if a teenager had lied himself older to be recruited, he might have a chance. He’d have to be no more than some 15 or 16 years old at most, though, and the question is how good a soldier a boy that age would make in the first place. Any older than that and the Marines wouldn’t consider him for implantation since as Mantis said it would in most cases go horribly wrong and leave him a malformed wreck or worse.

As for Ragnar Blackmane I seem to recall that he wasn’t very old at all when taken by the Marines, only some 13 or 14 years old, although I admit that it has been a while since I read the novel and haven’t got it at hand for references today. However, it was quite common for boys to be considered men at the beginning of puberty in the Viking society that Fenris is based on; as Mantis says, most primitive cultures have a short childhood compared to ours.

~Grephaun.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The oldest new recruit in any fluff that I can remember comes out of the second dawn of war book. They took an Imperial guardsmen, who was about 17 I believe. He was the only suitable recruit, and because of their bad luck recently, the blood ravens were desperate for recruits. Even so, they stated he was far beyond the appropriate age to start the implantation process. Even the apothecary didn't expect much success. Especially since all the procedures were accelerated to dangerous speeds. It apparently took though. At the end of the novel, he was on his way to becoming a fully fledged space marine.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of what I have read previously about creating marines indicated that recruits are taken when they are very young (10-12 yrs). That is why I was curious about adults being taken as recruits, especially given the scenario outlined on the GW website.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/blacktemplars/gaming/campaigns/initiationrites/default.htm

Acording to this it says "Despite this attrition, there are thousands of citizens across the Imperium who dream of becoming Black Templars. Many of them have spent their entire lives in preparation, honing their martial skills in their planetary defense forces or even the Imperial Guard."

GW is not well known for their continuity of storyline, writing ability, etc. Although this seems to go completely against what GW had established as the method of creating a marine, I like the idea. I guess my main concern here is that they will flip-flop on this at a later time.

As it is written above it sounds like they are putting yet another loophole in the story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts