Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my major questions would be,

What does BT have superior in close combat than other chapters?

Or basically what does BT have? (Sorry I have no acess to the new codex right now)
But I quickly glanced through their dex a week ago or so, and I haven't seen anything really eye catching with their army.

I love their models and look though, but I also want to know if they are the right army for me o.o.

·
Registered
381 Posts
they have a few things

On duty so this is off the top of my head.....

1. Tactical squads cost one more point per marine(can I say that?) but you don't have to purchase term honors for someone to get a power fist.
2. LRC can be taken by tactical squads.
3. Sword Bretheren are basically a very effective veteran squad with more than your usual options....dual lightning claws, PF, power weapons, etc. Besides they are great models.
4. LRC don't reduce AV because of the lance special rule due to new blessed hull...it costs but if you are going at eldar or DE it has worked for me.
5. Righteous zeal is cool. A possible D6 move in the opponents shooting phase. It usually is only effective for me once I get the transports blown out from under me.

Personal detractors
1. Emp Champ....point sink. I don't like having to purchase the Vows or being required to field the guy. I've played these guys for 2 1/2 years and he has never been a very effective character for me. My highlight for him was when he smoked a dread....but the sword does not double as a PF anymore.

These are just a few that I can think of.......It makes for interesting choices. The amount of Landraiders you can field is enormous and that is not even dipping into you Heavies. For mega games its something like 11 or 12. Not very fluffy....but hey we created the darn things.

·
Registered
909 Posts
What are you crazy:O ! EC point sink,i reckon he is a bargain! And he can go up strength 7 i think! And he doesnt even take up a HQ slot.The only bad thing about him is his base 2 attacks,dont like that at all.

I dont really like the new Black Templars at all.They dont have that much going for them.
So Murekhalir, do you want a chapter that is a monsterous close combat force? If so then the templars arent for you. The templars are a more balanced force with a few good close combat units in them,but they do not match up to chapters like space wolves or blood angels in combat.

The units that they do have that no other chapter has are:
The glorious Emperors Champion.Such a cool character and a IC killer!
Sword of Brethen.These guys are pretty nasty with their options to take LC's,PW,and i think PF's aswell.
Ah their bike squad are interesting and i find them to be really cool.They can feild up to 3 power weapons or meltaguns.Expensive though but deadly if used right.
Ah thats it isnt it? Ive probably left something out..i can feel it lol.

Anyway the games ive had against them i found them not too hard to deal with.They are definately not a close combat machine,even if you equip them as hard as you can to be.Blood Angels or SW's are better at that job:yes:
But yeah there models and feel of the army is awesome.

Cheers,
Tycho

·
Registered
655 Posts
A "standard" tactical squad with 10 marines, one with PFist and one with Meltagun, will run you 185 points as opposed to 190 points. However, your PFist only has a base of 2 attacks instead of 3.

We become fearless in CC, which is very nice until you become outnumbered.

Righteous Zeal really is a mixed blessing. The movement is nice, however it can pull heavy weapon teams out of position. If you use the base leadership, you move forward about as much as you fall back. If you use a LD 10 Captain, you can actually use it reliably. With a Chaplain w/ 3 Cenobyte Servitors, you can surge forward pretty good.

The Champion isn't a bad unit, however it's a bit rough in 750-1000 point games when you're forced to buy two HQs. At 1500+ I haven't had many problems fitting him in. He has the problem of transportation, however. You either need to have a squad to bodyguard him as he makes his way up the field or to beef him up as a counter charge unit.

Ultimately, hey feel very much like a Take the Fight to Them army. The main advantage they have going for them is the CCW & BP option for tactical squads, which comes easily enough from a trait. If you want to make a TFT army, they may be worth a look. If not... I don't think so. I started collecting them right before the new codex and regretted my decision (slightly) and I'm intending to alternate playing them as BT and as a trait army.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts