Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all know christmas is comming up and it's time for presents. Well my younger brother wants to play warhamer 40K as the Chaos Space Marines. Well he doesn't know that i'm getting him everything he needs to play. Can any of you out there give me an idea of what to buy him because i'm fortunate enough to have money not be a limitation. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dude let me start by saying buying your younger brother a 40k army is really cool of you. But here it goes for what you should get:

Chaos Space Marine Codex: This is essential
Chaos Space Marine Renegade Strike Force: This will provide a full 1500 point army for him to play with and it provides a savings of 26%. It's found on the games workshop website so order it quick with over night shipping.

That will equal a little more than 265 dollars but if you are able to spend more then pick up:

Chaos Space Marine Biker Squadron
Chaos Space Marine Raptors
Chaos Space Marines

These are just universal black legion chaos of course. He can then choose exactly what to play like khorne, tzeentch, slaanesh or nurgle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just going to buy everything the game workshop had for chaos space marines lol, but it's nice to have some direction. Plus the legendary minatures....some of them are not specifically from warhammer 40K, i'm confused.

·
318 Posts
Haha ... one of everything does not an army make, but that's certainly a generous thought!

I'd say stick with what Maverik suggested. That's a foundation for a CSM army that few could pass up. And since army lists are such personalized things in most cases, everything listed above still allows your brother the wiggle room to pick a direction, and expand in the future.

That also leaves something for birthdays! It'll take a long long time to assemble, and paint all that, after all.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well here is the bare bones. (Not saying your cheap lol but chaos armies can be very versatile just depends on how your brother wants to play.) To compete in the smallest possible game he must have 1 HQ choice and 2 Troop choices, and also the chaos codex does help. So really all he would need is:

Chaos Space Marine Codex

HQ
either: Chaos Space marine Sorcerer/Chaos Space marine Terminator lord

Troops
Chaos Space marines x 10

Chaos Space marines x 10

As i say thats the bare bones there is so much more that you could get him as has been aforementioned.
Hope this helps

-Danny-

·
Registered
370 Posts
But he said money isn't an issue so just get the renegade strike force and codex that way he gets a full 1500 point army.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the renegade strike force was no longer available so I just bught all the parts from it individually. I also bought the biker squad, the raptors, and another set of CSM, and the Daemon Prince.

:handshake:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Damn, and all I got from my brother for christmas was a rhino.... :'(

Now are you going to help your brother paint this stuff?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I say get yourself started as well! Modelling, Converting and painting is half the hobby, its artistic in its own way, and if your a creative person, you can come up with some really good modelling ideas. Besides Librarium Online has all your tabletop needs!
Delve into the hobby and have fun! May as well try anything once right?

-Danny-

·
Registered
370 Posts
o man if you have a local store around you go and get the warhammer 40k rulebook because you can't play or learn how to play with your brother without it.

IT IS ESSENTIAL TO PLAY THE GAME!!!!

PS i was under the impression that you too played so while your at the store get yourself started with some space wolves

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
I wanna say that I did this for my little brother. and granted he is probably a whole HEAP more of a hermit than most, he got over the entire hobby in just over a week and never looked back. So start off small with a battleforce or something you can use to play a tiny game and see if he is really into it before you do what I did and go spending 400+ on armies for both of you only to have him say "meh" everytime you bring up wanting to play a game.

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
Armybook.
Rulebook.
Daemon Prince for HQ
2 or 3 boxes of CSM.
Rhinos to go along with the CSM-squads.
1 or 2 defilers.
Black Spray coating.

The rule to never play with unpainted models is a great way to start painting. Otherwise you might never come around to really do it.
It's a good start.

Start off small. You never know if he's into the hobby or just like to play with the little toy soldiers.

And read the forum here and the rules before putting the models together and get yourself a feeling on what kind of army you wanna play (fast, static, mobile, shooty or close combat). It's never fun to have an army you only lose with. That's also how you quit the game.
i have a crapload of cool but unplayable models that are illegal to use, just because i glued them together before I read the rules.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow Mr Wayne that sucks, what kind of models? The game of 40k isn't just a tabletop game. (Its a way of life! Lol joking.) It can teach you a lot of things, how to play tactfully, teaches you different tactics for different armies, and also, improves your maths haha, last but not least, this sounds like its coming straight from a generic Japanese anime, but it also gives you the chance to meet great new friends.

-Danny-

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
I've been involved in 40K for the better part of a decade. Those I cannot use are pretty old and made mostly of metal parts. I was just trying to make a point.
It's better not to rush things, but to keep the interest up you want to kickstart a few games just to feel the mechanics of the game. Balance is key.

·
Registered
76 Posts
lol bet you $20 that 1 of these 3 will happen on christmas
1)he opens his stuff then when he see's it he'll sigh and say"uhh im not into models anymore"
2)he'll open it jump for joy,open the box and start trying to make it..then announce its too hard and quit 3days later
3)he'll say"uhh i only got you the discount mug because i thought you would do the same"
well thats what my brother would do:p

·
Registered
212 Posts
lol you must be really easy to buy for then navy2nuc1 ^_^

To get back on topic i remember when i got given some space marine terminators for my birthday off a friend when i was a lot younger, man i never expected to open a present to a box of those, i didn't know how to play the game at all, but the models looked damn cool and id only ever seen the space marines haha

-Danny-

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
I think the battleforce and rule book is all you need. there is plenty in there to get him started and it is good value. you could use one of the possessed as a HQ with some proxy weapons. and you always need the codex of course.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.