Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In real life snipers work in pairs, rarely ever alone. They should make a rule for this, also where r the rules for these guys in the codex?!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You get snipers in the special weapons support group for HQs (or one of the doctrines lets you take them in Infantry platoons I think), and yes they do form into two man teams just like all other IG heavy weapon teams.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by Childe@Jul 2 2004, 11:05
You get snipers in the special weapons support group for HQs (or one of the doctrines lets you take them in Infantry platoons I think), and yes they do form into two man teams just like all other IG heavy weapon teams.
This is not true. Check your IG Codex. First, if you take the Light Infantry doctrine you can only get one sniper per squad, so no pairs there. Secondly, if you take snipers as part of a Special Weapons Squad you can take up to three, so you could have a pair but you could just as easily have one or three. They do not form into pairs like Heavy Weapons teams.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
i'm so sad that sniper rifles have to suck so hard :(

the *only* thing they're good for is wounding high toughness (low save) baddies. in any other situation you'd be better off with either a heavy bolter or a missle launcher.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes they r cool, but i flip thruogh the new codex and i can't find the stats or rules for them. Help me out, would ya?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well there really isnt much stats for snipers but they use the same bs and ws as normal guardsmen and in the back is the stat of the sniper rifle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
doubt it, theyre meant to be poison dart/las weapons (okay, okay not long las) and so shouldnt really be too great vs vehicles

·
Registered
191 Posts
Snipers are a big morale killer for the other side. I try and field a special weps tm with 3 snipers and 3 guardsman, everygame. They have great range, easy to wound roll and if you cause a causalty you have a chance to pin. With three sniper teams you almost always get a causalty. They are effective for providing long range fire as squads move up, or for tying up enemy units.

Yeah the ap sux, but you still are making you opponnent roll if you wound em, and that is never bad.

The guys I play agianst hate when i bring my snipers on the board, cause they know they are gonna start getting hit early in the game. They know that some key part of the board is gonna be covered by them and it throws a wrench into their plans. That alone is enough to field a team of em.

I think though that a sniper should have a better BS though. I mean these guys are expert shots, not your run of the mill IG. They should have at least the same BS as Storm Troopers. Hmmmm sounds like a good house rule.

·
Registered
175 Posts
well yeah but it doesnt make any difference to their chance to hit, might make the stats look better but there really isnt much point....also i think there should be a sniper upgrade or some such eg: give it better AP etc

·
Registered
302 Posts
I thought sniper rifles have a special rule that says it doesn't use the BS of a model and always hits on a 2+?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by General Nuke Em@Jul 27 2004, 20:00
I thought sniper rifles have a special rule that says it doesn't use the BS of a model and always hits on a 2+?
[snapback]187883[/snapback]​
yea youd think anything that hits on 2s and wounds on 4s would be welcom in the guard ;)

·
Registered
535 Posts
yes, they do... like all sniper rifles, except orc looter boys.

-Jenn

·
Registered
179 Posts
i just take raltings, way cheaper and you can mass firepower on a blood thirster and stuff.

in real life theres a spotter and a sniper, but maybe in the year of 40k the scope on the rifle substitutes the spotter ;) .

·
Registered
6 Posts
If Cadian Snipers have the same stats as normal IG infantry does that mean they cost the same as infantry? How much would a squad of three snipers cost?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I dont think you "buy a sniper" I think you buy normal guardsmen and upgrade them with a Sniper Rifle.

Read over the codex entries and also the doctrine (light infantry?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you don't buy Snipers then why do they have their own figures and arent just a random grunt with a sniper rifle, plus I already know three snipers can count as an elite choice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts