Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please dont burn me at a stake for i have not played Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1…shamefull I know but I am looking to change the error of my ways.

Given that the latest one is out ( excellently called Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 ) and I have just been paid; thought I would pick a copy up, however having not played the first one I have been told that the story picks up and is an actual story wise sequel.

Would this be a huge problem for me at all? Would I know why the bad guys are doing what there doing? Why the good guys are good? etc

Or would you recommend I rent the first one hammer thorough the campaign and buy the second one after that?

Please don’t give any spoilers out for the first or second one. As I have been told that although short the campaign is excellent ( and I understand that the multiplayer is breathtaking. )

·
Registered
307 Posts
I own both CoD4 and MW2, and if you're getting them for the campaign storyline, then for sake of a rental I'd say it's worth it tbh. CoD4 does carry a good storyline, but MW2 is a big step up!

Not to mention the fact that the xbox live multiplayer is the sex on wheels!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please excuse my lack of knowledge but what is CoD 4 ? Is it Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1?

Yeah from looking around the story appears short, figured rent that and buy the second one to have Microsoft live ( although from what iI have read ) not looking forward to the inability to cancel out stupid chatter.

Cheers guys, quick sharp and to the point J

·
Registered
307 Posts
not looking forward to the inability to cancel out stupid chatter.
This is very easily sorted, when you've got your xbox on next, hit the xbox guide button (middle button on the pad) go across to settings on the right, then profile, edit profile, privacy settings, voice and text and choose either Friends Only or Blocked. That way you'll only hear your friends or no-one (depending on which you choose!). That way the only stupid chatter is your own or your friends! :act-up:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I dont own the console version only the pc version anyways IMO yes i would get call of duty 4 and then move on to call of duty 5 but if you do 5 first it will leave you abit confused proberly off the characters and story.
Call of duty modern warfare is cod(call of duty) 4

Call of duty World at war is cod 5(Totally unrelated to Cod 4s story line, in fact it is set in world war 2.)

Call of duty modern warfare 2 is cod 6(carries on from a few years after cod 4)

(confusing I know.)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for all your help guys ( especially the cancel chatter tip :D )

I will hopefully be shooting the bad guys online soon.
Glad to have helped... oh and btw, if one of the 'bad guys' shares my forum name, just leave him alone... :act-up:

·
Registered
32 Posts
ive played modern warfare but never beat the campaign, so from personall experience i'm stating that you will enjoy MW2 nonetheless seeing as it was the most cinimatic and best presented FPS campaign i have played since half-life 2

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Not to seem to make a pointless post, but the abbreviations are killing me here.

These are the titles and respective, most often used abbreviations:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (CoD4)
Call of Duty: World at War (CoD5, or WaW)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (MW2)

I've never heard of CoD6 used as an abbreviation for MW2 (it may catch on later), and Modern Warfare is called CoD4 because that is its title; it is simply Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare as above.

Just wanted to clear that up!

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Wow, i'm suprised to see so much love for the MW2 campaign. I really liked the single player game in COD4 (modern warfare) but i've found the new one to be ridiculous and puerile, sure there are some great set pieces but the story actually makes no sense, whereas in the first one it felt like there were some valid points being made about the state of warfare in the modern era.

The multiplayer is absolutely fantastic again though, and its worth getting for this alone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've put a whole lot of hours into Modern Warfare 2 but only 6 or so were devoted to the campaign. You see, I'm a huge multiplayer fanatic so I'm generally on Xbox Live shooting people in the face. It's great fun, honestly.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
I'm not liking the multiplayer in MW2. It's definitely not the same as COD4s multiplayer.
Of course it's not the same; if it were, it'd be a pointless game. I've found that, with the exception of tools for campers (heartbeat sensors) and annoying classes (dual shotgun + marathon + lightweight), the multiplayer is much more fun in MW2 than the first one. You'll always have a few bad spots in a game that relies on a lot of players around the world, though.

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
Registered
22 Posts
i never played COD4 to aand i just picked upa copy of MW2 and played! Really there is a bit of stuff you should know but you pick it up. Really it dosnt mater just get MW2 and then you wont be playing COD4 thinking how much you whant to get it out the way with! And really the multi-player is the heart of the game so dont bother with it and save some cash=)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.