Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together a Space Marine force for a campaign style tournament in the beginning of April. There are four of us taking part each with a different force. The premise and background for the campaign is such:

The campaign is set on a single planet on the Eastern Fringe beyond known Imperial Space. This planet is a verdant jungle world called different names by the species that have inhabited it over the millennia. The planet was originally inhabited by Eldar Exodites who called their world ‘Taqamathi’ following their colonisation after the fall of the elder race (M3).

Centuries later the long arm of the Imperium reaches the planet and finds it rich in minerals, ore, and thanks to the genetic manipulation of the planet by the elder vast and replenishable stocks of agricultural produce, for which they claim the world and kill all the exodites (M39).

The Eldar Craftworld of Tir-Nithel came upon the craft world some centuries ago and discovered a thriving imperial manufacturing planet, further scanning of the planet uncovered the City of Kharis and the location of huge ancient elder sphinxes as well as the tell tale signs of webway gates and elder ruins. The Craftworld fell upon the planet in full assault and exterminated every last human (M41), but before their bloody task had been completed a distress signal was sent which was answered some decades later by the Knights of Redemption Space Marine Chapter (M42).

This fleet based chapter sent its second fleet to the planet, referred to by the human inhabitants as ‘Assyri’, to answer the distress call. When they arrived all they founded were the ruined and decaying remains of an imperial held planet and the wrath of the native elder who had established an outpost on the planet. Fighting inevitably erupted when negotiations between the parties failed and both sides have since renamed the planet ‘Zamorshemash’ in the elder tongue and ‘Zamor’ in the human language.
The planet is the only inhabitable planet in the solar system, and its close proximity to the sun means that almost the entire planet (save the poles) is covered in dense and inhospitable jungles. Scattered throughout the, at times impenetrable foliage, are the rusting and crumbling remains of two civilisations.

Bloody and bitter fighting has consumed the world for the past year as the Space Marines of the Knights of Redemption and the Eldar of the Tir-Nithel Craftworld fight to both secure and reclaim the treasures of the planet. Both the Space Marine Fleet and the Craftworld and accompanying corsair fleet are also engaged in bitter space battles as each faction tries to gain supremacy.

In the last two months the situation has intensified as the solar system has been invaded by two alien forces. The Orks of Waaagh! Nazfang have reached the system on their unstoppable advance toward known imperial space, their ramshackle fleet have joined the fight with both of the embattled fleets around the system and they have made planet fall on Zamor because the fighting looks fun on that planet. This alone has caused as great deal of confusion and consternation to both the elder and the marines as they are having to fight a battle on two fronts as well as occasionally work together to repel the invaders. For the last two months the fighting has intensified as neither force will give ground to each other or the new threat.

To further complicate matters the first tendrils of Hive Fleet Moloch have entered the system and immediately seized upon the opportunity for a massive amount of biomass to be harvested from the war strewn system and the rich living planet of Zamor. Now a four-way battle has erupted which will engulf if not completely destroy the planet of Zamor. The Knights of Redemption have a heavily fortified base of operations on the continent of Dorsai which they have established around the ruins of what was the centre of the imperial manufacturing centre. The Tir-Nithel Eldar have retained their defensible outpost within the City of Kharis on the same continent. Meanwhile, the Orks have established a large city sized base of operations on the continent of Gehenna from which they are launching attacks on Dorsai, against both the Knights of Redemption and the Tir-Nithel. The Tyranids of Hive Fleet Moloch have been engaged in a space battle with the other embattled forces and have yet to make planet fall, but it will inevitably come, and many fear it will hit within the coming weeks.

So with this premise in mind here is the fluff behind the Knight of Redemption:

Founding Chapter: Emperors Children (Chapter believes itself to be Imperial Fist sucessors)
Founding: 13th Dark Founding
Chapter Master: Sanguinius Elitus (Turned Traitor)
Home World: Unknown - Fleet based Chapter
Main Colours: Grey Armour with Golden trim, Black Shoulders and Knees, Golden Helmets and extensive wearing of Robes with Purple embroidered insignias
Speciality: Versatile Strategies and adaptive tactics
Battle Cry: 'Remember the Seraphim'
Estimated Strength: 175 Marines (potentially a full Chapter)

The Knights of Redemption were created from the geneseed of the Emperors Children during the 13th Founding (M34), although the Chapter believe they are descended from Imperial Fist geneseed. Originally they were known as the Seraphim Knights until their participation in the 7th Black Crusade (M37). During the crusade half of the chapter, including the Chapter Master, turned to the worship of Nurgle and Slaanesh and fighting broke out within the Chapter between the traitors and the loyalists with heavy casualties on both sides. Eventually, the traitors fled into the Eye of Terror.

The remaining loyal marines renamed the chapter and split their remaining battle-brothers into four fleet based forces to ensure that never again could so many of them be either turned or eradicated. Since then the four fleets have travelled to the four cardinal compass points of the known worlds on eternal crusades to redeem the traitorous actions of their brothers, with the 1st Fleet pursuing their renegade battle brothers into the Eye of Terror (They have yet to return), the 2nd Fleet heading into the Eastern Fringe to fight Xenos (Beyond Imperial Space), while the 3rd and 4th Fleets headed north and south respectively and well beyond known space.

The Chapter is a chapter in name only, with the four fleets having lost contact with each other for the last five thousand years. The 2nd Fleet (engaged in the Campaign) spent those years aiding the imperium on the very edge of Ultima Segmentum and exploring beyond known space, until they received a distress call from Assyri within the Eastern Fringe and answered the call (M42). Since then they have been fighting with the Eldar and now the Orks on Zamor. Seeing as they view themselves as Xeno hunters, something they have a great deal of experience with, they are not ready or willing to give up their hard won garrison on the planet and intend, even if it cost them all their lives, to ensure that the multitude of forces arrayed against them are stopped from heading into the imperial held worlds, their hope is that this act will cleanse the taint of their traitor brothers and redeem them in the eyes of the Emperor.

The Imperium know nothing of the Knights of Redemption as they have no record of their geneseed or their founding, they have not ventured back into known imperial space other than to recruit from feral and feudal worlds on the edge of Ultima Segmentum for thousands of years, and have had no contact with the other Space Marine Chapters.

The symbol of the Chapter is the Maltese Cross, the eight pointed star for which each point symbolises the eight points of courage:
· Loyalty to the Emperor (To live in Truth)
· Piety in all things (To be sincere)
· Generosity to the Imperium (To give proof of humility)
· Bravery at all times (To endure persecution)
· Glory and Honour in battle (To love justice)
· Contempt of Death (To repent of sin)
· Protect those that cannot protect themselves (To be merciful)
· Respect of the Ecclesiarchy (To have faith)

This symbol is usually depicted in white on a black background on the left shoulder of their power armour. Individual marines also have additional crosses on their equipment which are often gold as well as depicted on tabards and robes in purple on a white background.

The chapter is highly religious and view themselves as an arm of the Ecclesiarchy even though they are not. They follow the Codex Astartes, but only loosely. For example, the 1st and 10th Companies were spread across the four fleets with the 1st Company being exclusively Terminator armoured Veterans known as the ‘Seraphims’. Likewise, the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th Companies were not reserve companies as usual, but full battle companies. Unlike normal Companies the compositions of the Knights of Redemption Companies follows a very individual approach, with each company being different from the last in their focus. Across all companies the 1st and 2nd Squads are exclusively Veteran Marines from within the Company, while the remainder of the squads are comprised of a mix of Tactical, Assault, and Devastator squads. The exact numbers of each type of squad is different from company to company with the only stipulated rule being that the company must maintain a minimum of four Tactical Squads. This leads to some companies being focused on assault squads supported by tactical squads alone with no devastator trained squads, and vice versa.

The Knights of Redemption hold to the rule that a Scout cannot become a Brother-Battle until a Brother dies and a place is open for such advancement. The same holds true for the Veteran Squads and the 1st Company and as such advancement can be quite slow, resulting in a greater number of scouts and very experienced marines.

Each fleet was originally comprised of a full company as well as a contingent of the 1st and Company and some Scouts. The Company Commander, a Master of Sanctity, a High Techmarine/Master of the Forge and a Chief Librarian formed a counsel who decided the fate of the crusading fleet. The second fleet is formed of the remnants of the 3rd Company, the 10th Company assigned to the fleet and the handful of 1st Company terminator suits that were originally assigned to the fleet. Due to their absence from the rest of the imperium, and in fact the rest of their chapter for five thousand years the fleet has taken on a character of their own and they resemble pre heresy Emperors Children (thanks largely to their geneseed) in that they strive for perfection in all their endeavours, and work continuously to perfect their military operations. They are monastic in nature with as much time given over to worship and prayer as to military strategy and training.

Only 175 marines and 360 support staff form the fleet, and are comprised as follows:

Commander of the 3rd Company and Captain of the Fleet – Helveticus Vetora (with his Command Squad – including Company Champion Baltus Krux)
Master of Sanctity – Nathaniel Argus (with his Initiates)
High Techmarine – Mephiston Bethor (with his Servitors)
Chief Librarian – Raphael Invictus (with his Lexicani and Codicers)

2 Veteran Squads (Arrion, Tyler) – 1st and 2nd Squads
4 Tactical Squads (Gabriel, Sartak, Maxima, Castro) – 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Squads
Assault Squad on Bikes (Baltus) – 8th Squad
2 Assault Squads with Jetpacks (Luthor, Isaish) – 7th and 9th Squads
Devastator Squad (Xavier) – 10th Squad

35 Scouts from the 10th Company lead by Scout Sergeant – Ezekiel Dante
15 Terminator Veterans from the 1st Company the Seraphims (Hastus, Kalick, Jukar)
5 Dreadnoughts (Nathaniel, Octavian, Valorum, Merrick, Sammael)
19 Support Vehicles (Drop Pods, Rhinos, Razorbacks, Predators, Whirlwinds, Vindicators, Land Raiders, and Land Speeders – and Brother Sergeant – Marcus Vardis)

·
Registered
307 Posts
i like the campaign fluff, the way they are fighting each other, then fighting with each other and now some nids have just come to crash the party, im not a space maring expert so i dont know about that part though

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
Same way the Blood Ravens might have gotten Thousand Sons gene-seed, methinks.

By the way, there seems to be a sudden influx of DIY chapters...has there been some great conversion to Space Marines lately?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Same way the Blood Ravens might have gotten Thousand Sons gene-seed, methinks.

By the way, there seems to be a sudden influx of DIY chapters...has there been some great conversion to Space Marines lately?
Blood Ravens and TS gene-seed is (from what i can tell) based entirely around the fact that the Blood Ravens have a lot of librarians. The fact that they aren't rife with mutations like the TS were inclines me to believe that there isn't anything substantial to that particular rumor.

In any case, Second Founding is the latest i could see somebody flubbing up like that. One would think after that, all the traitor gene-seed was buried under ten thousand feet of steel and locks. Nobody wants to put a new Space Marine chapter at risk for going traitor like that, when there's plenty of other gene-seed to go around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My theory behind the use of The Emperor's Children geneseed is based on the small bit of fluff available for the 13th Dark Founding. It is stated that there are no records of the geneseed or the number of Chapters founded in the 13th founding and that most of not all of the chapters are lost, either destroyed, mutated, or disappeared.

With this in mind it wasn't a huge leap of logic to think that maybe the records were purposefully expunged or hidden. It is stated that the original geneseed for the traitor legions was destroyed, but what if as an experiement the administration altered the original 9 traitor legion geneseeds and 'tried again' as pre-heresy the Emperor's Children were not only classified as the 3rd Legion, with the Dark Angels being the 1st, but were given the great honour of the right to bear the Imperial Eagle on their armour, the only legion allowed to do so. Their geneseed must have been good and strong for them to be exalted to such a height given their small initial number of only 200 marines (due to an accident which destroyed nearly all of their geneseed).

Obviously, if it was known that the traitor legions geneseed was being used there would be chaos (excuse the pun) so the 13th founding chapters were informed that their geneseed was other chapters, hence the Knights of Redemption firmly believe themselves to be a successor chapter of the Imperial Fists. Once created the records would be destoryed or hidden in the myriad depths of the administration.

Whether this is possible or not (I would like to think it is) it makes for an interesting back story, particularly when you add into the mix that half the original Chapter fell to Chaos inevitably anyway.

It also gives me a great excuse to put together a small Chaos force at a later date with links to the Knights of Redemption. I'm usually an Eldar player, in fact the Tir-Nithel force taking part in the campaign is my own Craftworld Eldar force which I am lending to a mate for the puroses of playing the campaign. This is the first time I've actually looked at Space Marines again since the original box I purchased with Rogue Trader many moons ago.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Very well done, you've obviously put a lot of effort into that and it's turned out great, good to see :). Nice argument about the gene-seed too, I'd believe it. One little thing nags at me, the use of existing heroes names sprinkled throughout the chapter. Looks a little bit like filler. But if you like em, they are yours to name.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Alright, I can buy that. It was more a question of "why did you do that" than why did they do that. Lately there's been a decent amount of chapters doing implausible things "just because."

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Last I checked, the 8-pointed star was a symbol of the ruinous powers.
Edit: Additionally, I was unaware that the 13th founding was called "the dark founding". There's the Cursed 23rd Founding, but you want to stay away from that one, to be sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
See below image of what the Knights of Redemption look like. Imagine a white maltese cross on their left shoulder and a purple maltese cross embroidered on the tabard. This is a depiction of a veteran sergeant, all sergeants have a black band on their helmets and veteran status is displayed as additional green wreaths around the helmet. I wanted something that looked simple and suited a chapter that is both very militaristic and practical, and therefore avoids bright coloured armour as it gives away positions too readily, while maintaining a very religious feel with the addition of robes and tabards.

Due to the fact that advancement only occurs when a position within a squad becomes available, many marines spend a long service within their existing squad so I wanted to show across the force how meritious service and combat accolades could be shown beyond purity seals. Threfore I have come up with the following for showing the length of service and honour granted to each position:
  • Upon being accepted into a Squad after serving as a Scout each marine is presented with a suit of power armour (usually the suit worn by the fallen Battle Brother they are replacing)
  • After serving within a squad for either 10 years, or 50 confrontations/battles which ever comes first, the marine is presented with a loin cloth embroidered with the maltese cross to attach to his power armour
  • After serving within a squad for either 50 years, or 100 confrontations/battles which ever comes first, the marine is presented with a robe embroidered with the maltese cross to wear over his power armour
  • After serving within a squad for either 100 years, or 500 confrontations/battles which ever comes first, the marine replaces his robe with a knightly tabard embroidered with the maltese cross and his personal endeavours/heroic achievements
  • After rising through the ranks and being appointed to the 1st Vanguard Veteran Squad (which can take hundreds of years) the marine is presented with a cloak depicting the maltese cross to show his dedication to the company and the emperor and to mark him above his battle brothers as an exemplar of the Chapter
  • Additionally to the above variety of loin cloths, robes, and tabards depicting length of service, individual acts of bravery, courage or discipline under fire. As well as singular acts of devotion are represented by the right to carry censors and holy relics of the chapter into battle
  • After having served within either the 1st Vanguard Veteran squad or the 2nd Sternguard Veteran squad (dependant on personal preference in combat tactics and expertise) the marine will either be promoted to the Command Squad or the 1st Company if a position becomes available at which point they either pass their cloak to their successor within the veteran company and take their place at the side of the Company Captain or exchange their entire armaments for a Terminator Suit and join the elite of the 1st Company
Once I actually have some of these guys painted up I will post them in the gallery.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Well I know my reasoning was that the BA pamphlet isn't too good so I wanted an army I could use either ruleset with - best way to do that is to make your own chapter :)

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Right.. the deal is this..

The Emperor's Children geneseed comes from Fulgrim.. This is Fulgrim who is an incredibly powerful daemon prince whose hobbies include the (implied) raping and slaughtering of entire planetary populations. However good his geneseed was, it obviously wasn't good enough to stop that from happening, why give it a second chance? It's like 'well.. hitler may have been a pretty nasty dude but he did build good roads at one point, we should clone him and make him our leader'.

Also.. from a psychic point of view it's a sympathetic link.

As oni says though, the big deal isn't really 'why' it's 'what does it add to the story', and the answer is actually very little beyond a touch of speshulness. The dark history/tainted legacy thing is such a cliche (how many times have we seen 'oh, he's a vampire/demon/dark elf/whatever but he's actually good, but he totally wears lots of leather and has a voice you could coat your driveway with'). Having some kind of implausable attribute doesn't make a good character, or a good chapter for that matter. Don't confuse 'unique' and 'speshul', they're very different.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right.. the deal is this..

The Emperor's Children geneseed comes from Fulgrim.. This is Fulgrim who is an incredibly powerful daemon prince whose hobbies include the (implied) raping and slaughtering of entire planetary populations. However good his geneseed was, it obviously wasn't good enough to stop that from happening, why give it a second chance? It's like 'well.. hitler may have been a pretty nasty dude but he did build good roads at one point, we should clone him and make him our leader'.

Also.. from a psychic point of view it's a sympathetic link.

As oni says though, the big deal isn't really 'why' it's 'what does it add to the story', and the answer is actually very little beyond a touch of speshulness. The dark history/tainted legacy thing is such a cliche (how many times have we seen 'oh, he's a vampire/demon/dark elf/whatever but he's actually good, but he totally wears lots of leather and has a voice you could coat your driveway with'). Having some kind of implausable attribute doesn't make a good character, or a good chapter for that matter. Don't confuse 'unique' and 'speshul', they're very different.
Mantis your right about Fulgrim but it took both the weapon he picked up n the Laer temple during the cleansing of laeran, which contained a bound daemon of Slaanesh, and seduction by Horus to make him turn to Chaos. I'd like to see any other space marine put up with the constant whispering of a daemon and the persusion of his closest friend not turn traitor. Eitherway, Fulgrim wasn't strong enough and we all know what happened to him and the Emperor's Children. But a large contingent of the Emperor's Children were strong enough and these loyalists founght their battle brothers on Isstvan III, ultimately in vain as they lost. But they showed the true grit and determination exemplified in the Space Marines, and this alone provides a strong enough reason to try again with a genetically modified version of the original geneseed.

As the the question raised by both you and Oni 'Why' and 'What does it add to the story' I conceed that this needs a little more thought.

I started off this force in response to the campaign brief and like to put as much detail as I can into the background and the painting of the forces I field. My initial thoughts on this Chapter were:

1: I like the look of the Dark Angels and the Black Templars with their monastic robes and knightly surcoats etc. Very medieval meets sci-fi. But I didn't like the fluff behind either of them (I know my 'half the chapter fell to chaos' cliche is very similar to the Dark Angels, as is the Terminator only 1st Company, I hold my hands up to copying those ideas, and obviously using the Black Templar iconography)
2: I wanted a Chapter that has had nothing to do with the rest of the imperium for a long time, and hence deviated from the Codex Astartes
3: I secretly have always wanted to put together a Chaos Army and wanted a link between them, this Space Marine force, and my existing Eldar Craftworld (hense the fall to Nurgle and Slaanesh)
4: I really like the fluff on the Emperor's Children pre-heresy, they were an undersized force to begin with who gained a great deal of honour from the Emperor (Got the wear the Imperial Eagle), they were regimented and devoted which fits with the classical image of the knightly orders, and they were highly tactical.

I think I need to have a good think about what else I need to come up with/include to make them unique.

Thank you, this is very constructive for my thought processes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, so the first battle in the upcomming campaign has been drawn and ironically its both of my forces versus each other. The Eldar have been picked and the list put together by a mate I have let borrow my 3000pt Eldar Army. Have a look at the link below to see the two forces that are going to face off against each other at the end of the month (I had best get painting sharpish!!).

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/space-marine-army-lists/190274-1500pt-space-marine-vs-eldar-army-lists.html#post1651144

Hopefully after this battle I will have some more fluff to add the the Chapter in terms of heroes, successes and catastrophies.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Quick thing, fall of the Eldar wasn't in M3, it was around M30, because Slaanesh's birth ended the warp storms that had been blockading the galaxy, which allowed the Emperor to begin the Great Crusade in M31.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts