Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Q1) Can a model with no pistol and no Close Combat Weapon (CCW) attack in an assault?

Example: An Ultramarine veteran, as part of a Command Squad, bears a plasma gun and a meltagun (instead of the usual chainsword and/or bolt pistol). The meltagun is an assault type weapon and the plasma is a Rapid Fire. How many attacks does he get in an assault?

(Q2) What if he has no pistol, no CCW and even no assault weapon?

I couldn't find any example in the Space Marines codex of any intfantry model which is possible for it be without pistol,CCW,assault weapons, but perhaps this is possible in other codexes.

Faithfully,
Sean

·
Registered
200 Posts
(Q1) Can a model with no pistol and no Close Combat Weapon (CCW) attack in an assault?

Example: An Ultramarine veteran, as part of a Command Squad, bears a plasma gun and a meltagun (instead of the usual chainsword and/or bolt pistol). The meltagun is an assault type weapon and the plasma is a Rapid Fire. How many attacks does he get in an assault?

(Q2) What if he has no pistol, no CCW and even no assault weapon?

I couldn't find any example in the Space Marines codex of any intfantry model which is possible for it be without pistol,CCW,assault weapons, but perhaps this is possible in other codexes.

Faithfully,
Sean
This is simple, a normal space marine has 1 attack so he gets one attack.
A space marine veteran has 2 attacks so he gets two attacks.
Even if they don't have a CCW or a pistol they can attack.
Don't forget about the attack modifiers such as if the unit charged they get +1 attack, if they have 2 CCWs they get +1 attack etc.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Nothing wrong with his typing chen. A Vet has 2 attacks standard, just because you might give him a power weapon or powerfist, he does not have to use them in close combat. Also don't give him two 2h weapons, nothing wrong with either a meltagun or plasma gun but both is just silly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nothing wrong with his typing chen. A Vet has 2 attacks standard, just because you might give him a power weapon or powerfist, he does not have to use them in close combat. Also don't give him two 2h weapons, nothing wrong with either a meltagun or plasma gun but both is just silly.
get what you are saying with the attack not having to use the powerfist.
About the typing, he's just missing a few words that doesn't make the sentence much sense.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
That statement about not using the power weapon or powerfist in combat isn't correct, I'm afraid, TheShad0w. The model is required to use any special weapon it has. BRB P.35 paragraph under the second bullet point says so.

seanb: You seem to be still confused about assault weapons vs weapons which are classed as CC weapons. An assault weapon like a meltagun is "Type: assault" and this simply means that the bearer is allowed to make an assault move after firing the weapon. The weapon itself has nothing to do with the model's number of attacks.

As far as a model being able to attack even if he is not carrying anything which is classed as a CCW: it is always assumed that the model has something available to him which he can use to attack an enemy, even if it is only his head or his boot!

BRB P.42 lists the normal, special and two-handed close combat weapons which are used in assault and which also are used to determine if the model does or does not gain an extra attack for having two CCWs. Assault weapons like stormbolters and meltaguns are not mentioned anywhere on this page.

As for other codexes showing models/units without any CCWs at all: even if that did happen it would not alter the fact that the statline in the model's profile shows that it can indeed attack at least once. The only time a model would not be able to attack in CC is if the Attacks stat entry had a zero or a "-" in it.

Hope this helped.

E.

Reactions: GreyKnight6962

·
Registered
200 Posts
Meh, fair enough. Either way i wouldn't actually choose not to use special weapons - an idea i did have was you buy your captain a relic blade and powerfist, use the fist for vehicles and relic blade with I5 against infantry. Bit costly but can be effective.
You can do that, Huron or like Karandas, they have a choice of whether using their powerfist or their power weapon.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
That's right, you can buy those two weapons for example. However, when it comes to the actual fighting you have to decide which weapon you are going to use. The only exception I can immediately think of is Logan Grimnar's Axe of Morkai which can be used either as a power fist or as a Frostaxe, and you can choose to use some of his attacks as one type and the rest as the other, but that then changes the Initiative time for his attacks IIRC. (Codex is upstairs and I'm too lazy to go get it!!)

Marius, thanks for the quote.

E.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
No problem, I had this questin myself once, after someone decided to deactivate Marneus Calgar's powerfists in order to use his power sword, so I went and checked. Always happy to help out if I can.

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts