Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
ya i'd guess so. when they 1st hit tyran, a water planet, they had to swim to the observation rig, while fighting the idigeones (wow, im bad at spelling) life.

also they can survive in the vacuum of spce, so i think water is fine. i was actual thinking bout doing a "deep sea" nids after a late night watching national geographic and discovery channel about the giant squid, and the deep sea fish and stuff. never got around to it though

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright thanks. Yeah i was kind of thinking the same idea. I'm also thinking of using water effects on their bases. and then make the water look a little bloody on some bases.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Odysseus said:
Just remember, Tyranids supposedly breathe through their skin.
I don't remember ever seeing that said anywhere really. Plus I don't think they really even need to breath since they can survive in the vaccumm of space.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
Most of them actually can't survive the vacuum fo space, they get carried in thier ships and dropped to the planets in spores. I believe the tyranid codex shows diagrams of them and points out those little holes on the sides of their head as breathing holes. So its unlikely they breath through there skin.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Tyranids as a race can certainly breed sea-going monsters, but as for the more commonly encountered 'Nidz I doubt it.

Nidz are supposed to have spiracles, similar to insects which may or may not preclude them from swimming, but consider a 'Gaunt.

Two slashy claws on the front and a body covered in chitin, it probably wont be wondeful. A Carnifex would be too heavy to swim, though it might be able to stomp along the sea-bed (presuming the hive mind gave it some "water-evolved" biomorph).

On the whole I would expect bioengineered for swimming creatures to replace the standard creatures in a water environment.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
I think you guys are probably right.. I doubt they're going to be dropping standard nids onto acquatic worlds.

There's actually a short story somewhere which is set on a boat at sea during a nid invasion. The water turns an unsightly colour as lots of spores are dropped into it, presumably some kind of tyranid algae. So maybe they don't need to send in aqua-rippers to digest the sea life.. they just poison it and wait for the stuff to float to the surface.

It would be a bit silly though if a small river could hold up a tyranid swarm, so I'd imagine they all can swim over short distances. Chitin is quite bouyant, after all.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Silver Wings said:
A Carnifex would be too heavy to swim, though it might be able to stomp along the sea-bed (presuming the hive mind gave it some "water-evolved" biomorph).
I can immagine the Imperial Guard now:

"GOZZIRRA!!"

You know... 'cause like... he comes outa the ocean... I know SOMEBODY thought that was funny.... Or maybe it was just me.

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
Æther-MØØSE said:
I can immagine the Imperial Guard now:

"GOZZIRRA!!"

You know... 'cause like... he comes outa the ocean... I know SOMEBODY thought that was funny.... Or maybe it was just me.
No, Moose, no one thought it was funny. No one.

*stony silence*

Alright, I thought it was, fine!

Nids could swim if they were engineered to, but otherwise I'd say they cannot.

·
Registered
524 Posts
for the people who read The Inquisition War there was an part where they found an tyranid who war drowned, so i say: not every tyranid can swim, but there are defenitly some who can

1 - 13 of 13 Posts