Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda new to WH and was wondering what some good wargear for a canoness who's gonna stay back with probably two sister sqauds and retributors. She can either be in a squad or just float around. I'm thinking:
Storm bolter, Brazier of holy fire and book of st lacius - 70pts

I want to keep her cheap as she's mainly there for the xtra faith, as well as her ability to help the back units hold. I'm already gonna use a jumpy canoness, so i don't need a combat chick. The reason for the SB over BP is to make the most of her high BS. The reason for the brazier is to hopefully get some counter flames/charges after an enemy unit has one or lost combat. I could give her a jump pack to added mobility around the lines, but that's where your advice comes in :)
Thanks

·
Registered
962 Posts
THe short answer is yes.
She can make a reasonably good contribution if you tool her as described.

2 Retributor squads is a viable choice.
I'd say that qualifies as being a "firebase", which should either cause considerable pain to the enemy, and/or it will bring the enemy closer. If the latter happens, you will be glad to have the Cannoness back there, where she can flame and also block the charging enemy.

If you could describe the anticipated enemies, we could advise you with greater accuracy.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plan is to make an anti-nids army. This is mainly for fluff cause my other army nids, so i'm tooling it towards them. How i far against other armies i'm not too worried. For my Heavy support i was thinking 2 exorcists and 1 HB retributor squad. The exorcsists would aim for tyrnats and MC, followed by warriors if there is much time left in the game. The retributors would go for the warriors/stealers, well anything with a 4+ armour save. If i'm desperate i could aim for a tyrant of fex and use devine guidance.
So she would work well? Good. I like the fact that she's so cheap for what she can do.

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
I think two Reti. squads with HBs are going to be better towards 'Nids. A single Excorsist can deal with most MCs and if they bring an MC-heavy army you can use your reti. squads + DG to take em down, but keep the foucs on Warriors and other synapse creatures.
And she would work well also. Book of St. Lucius is THE best thing in our wargear section without doubt and it can make sure your lines stand firm until the cannones falls.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
I honestly think this is a mistake, sure she is cheap for what she can do but what she can do is not hang around with the rest of the ladies sewing club, the points can be far better spent elsewhere, by the time you have tooled her up she will be at least 70-100 points, that is alsmost another sister squad right there, or perhaps another 4 sisters in 2 of your squads. With the usual nid gribleys (gaunts) zooming up the fied, the more volume of bolter fire you can put down, the better.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Cheredanine said:
the points can be far better spent elsewhere
Basicly, yes. There are better choices. The Rets probably don't have to worry about Ld checks, because Nids probably won't be shooting anything back at them. A shooty Marine opponent might be a different story.

One thing you have to watch with Nids is their charges. You can't afford to let them get in CC without at least once double-tapping your bolters. Make it a goal that every Sister Squad rapid fires at least once. Seraphim will help you control the location of the Nid Squads so that you can get the bolters exactly where you need them. THat said, the "Artillery Cannoness" might not be the best way to spend points. Seraphim are expensive and die quick, so you might need to really maximize your points by getting rid of the Artillery Cannoness.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks for your comments, i'll take them on board. I was planning on having two squads in rhino's with flamer, HF and VSS with Brazier, as well as two dominion squads in immorlators with 4 flamers in each to zoom up and fry some bugs where I see fit. I figured if one dominion squad and one sister squad stayed together, there would be plenty of flame and bolter action to take down any sized sqaud, even two if the squads are small enough.

The reason i went for two exorcists, is that in my army anyway i have 3 fex's and 1 flying tyrnat. I know the carnage that thewy can cuase, especilly if the flying tyrnat gets into cc with any kind of troop squad, and even the shooty fex's will pose a problem for the sisters, causing pinning if a wound is taken from the barbed strangler. I can see what you're syaing about it being a waste, and looking it at that way your right. I'll probably do what you said and increase the unit sizes. I was planning onn having the retibutors squads at 10 anyway to provide that extra close support fire. I was also gonna have a unit of seraphim with two flamers just to jump around and heard the nids into the firing lanes, or make a suicidal flmae/charge to slow them down.

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
i wouldnt bother with the storm bolter. it wont make much of a difference. And if your using her back with the footsloggers, definetly use a jump pack. the extra mobility is very useful. if shes only being counter-assault your best bet will be a jump pack, cloak of st aspira, pwr weapon, BOSL, combi-melta/plasma. = 115pts.

but if u already have one then maybe 10 more battle sisters would be better.

Oh, and btw, hvy bolter retribs + exorcists is a very lethal combination, especially vs nids.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Now that we know you're talking about anti-Nid, I should say that 1 Cannoness with cloak and Eviscerator might not be enough for the Nid HQ. You might need two. But then again, 2 tooled up Cannonesses might cost more than the Nid HQ they are facing. You're in a better position to make that call.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
i give mine a bolt pistol and power weapon + litanies and a squad of celestians maxed out with heavy flamer and storm bolter also a vet with power weapon, this unit can lay down fire as good as most sister squads + is a nasty surprise in cc since sisters genrelly suck at it this squad rules. also in 2000+ i take the fearless flag thing

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah i think i'll just stick with the one cannoness and go for the extra sisters. If i pick the targets right, the jumpy canoness can take care of herself, even against the nids, especiialy non MC/rending creatures and slow ones, like shooty warriors. If i reconfigure my list i might be able to squeeze in another flamer dominion squad or mounted sisters squad with flame eveything.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
i think people should ever only include one as they are supposed to be rare and powerful sisters if people want two heroes i always tell them to take a plaitine as it is much more fluffy (master and apprentice sort of relationship)

·
LO Zealot
1,331 Posts
I would disagree with the amount of people giving a veteran a power sword against tyrannids here, their saves are generally low anyway and things which do have the better saves are better off being shot or are just too tough for a superior to handle in combat. I think it would be more of an advantage to improve the shooting side. As much as power armour protects a squad of 10 sisters im afraid they won't beable to handle a sizable squad of gaunts in combat.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
no thats why ya take a vet tooled for cc and a heavy flamer + storm bolter or another flamer then watch his gaunts go from 20 to 4 and vet can finish the rest

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
I love Dominions against 'nids...
1 Immo drives up, drops a squad of SoBs with 4 flamers, flames with its twin heavy adn then the SoBs flames another 4 templates.
Aaaahhh... Just thinking about it makes me shake...

·
LO Zealot
1,331 Posts
no thats why ya take a vet tooled for cc and a heavy flamer + storm bolter or another flamer then watch his gaunts go from 20 to 4 and vet can finish the rest
Wait....so you agree with sisters not being able to win in combat against a sizable unit of gaunts but yet you still equip the vet to deal in a close combat situation o_O

the shooting with flamers and storm bolters I can understand....

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
ya sed a superior and i gave ya an example of a good vet superior, superiors can't do squat but when they are upgraded they can be pretty handy in a fight. we could stand here and debate the usefulness of a power weapon armed vet all night but i jus don't have that kind of patience (i get fidgety when not burning things) so i will jus say that ur sister are gonna have to do some whacky whacky it's unavoidable and the cc vet jus makes sure ya take somthin with ya.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts