Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some trouble with my use of Canoness. In my list I run two of them; list is mechanazed sisters.
Canoness – 131PTS
Jump Pack, Cloak of St. Aspira, Bolt Pistol, Master-Crafted Eviscerator, Book of St. Lucius.

Canoness – 122PTS
Jump Pack, Cloak of St. Aspira, Blessed Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Fragmentation Grenades, Book of St. Lucius.

Eviscerator does very well against vehicles and does kill marines/nobs in melee. Blessed weapon does not seem to be able to get the points back from the canoness if not counting the four faith points. I usually send her behind seraphim or in front of rhino squads to counter assault; usually trying to get her stuck in with non-elite and weaker units, but 3 attacks do not seem to do the trick too well. Four faith points could be received with less points than that.

Perhaps I mismanage her, please give some advice or modifications to wargear.

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
I give my Canoness an Inferno Pistol when she has a blessed weapon so that she retains the double threat vehicle+IC killer. It's also noted that you're master crafting the eviscerator, making it cost substantially more than the blessed weapon, so one would think it's appropriate that it performs substantially better =). The blessed weapon only really shines against low initiative opponents. Keeping the inferno pistol around makes sure she still has a role in battles where the enemy is unimpressed with 3 attacks at I4.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It looks like you're running your Blessed Weapon Cannoness very similarly to how I run mine as far as wargear.

Where I play, she's feared. the reason she's scary has to do with how you use your faith. Her flexibility comes through uses of faith. that and a mastercrafted str boosting power weapon.

for faith:
the option to make her armor save also invulnerable is priceless

the option to boost initiative is useful, it makes the high initiative guys open their eyes when you go at the same time as they do.

The option to boost Strength is useful as well, It helps you to deal with those tough Monsterous creatures, and instakill T3 multi-wound characters

How you threaten to use faith, and then using faith makes the BW cannoness a fairly inexpensive, mean HQ.
I use her mainly to hunt HQ's, heavy weapons, and sometimes for counterassault. She's taken down DArk Eldar archons, and Tyranid MC's. She's also been squished by instakills a lot.

I prefer having a cannoness that strikes at Initiative rather than strikes last. I feel Eviscerators limit the role in the battle of the cannoness. An IP might not be a bad idea, though, if you want to be able to kill tanks, and instakill MEQ's.

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
I think that the "Gold Standard" for Canoness is the 135pts setup: Blessed Wpn, IPistol, 2+ Cloak, Jump Pack and Book. BWeapon gives you versatility, based on AoF that you choose to use, whereas IP almost guarantees (with her high BS) a wound or a penned vehicle. However great the gear and Faith is, you have to remember that she is still a human, so the stats are not exactly up to even a basic Marine. With that in mind, as Inquisitor and Punk said, selecting the correct AoF at crucial moments is important. I almost never Master Craft Eviscerator on her, and without that (and Pistol - who needs one when you have the Big Stick) your first Canoness would be only 115pts - quite a steal, and really, with the option to save puny 20 points by swapping it out for Palatine, she is really the cheapest HQ you should take for Mech Sisters I think (not a big fan of on-foot Canoness)...

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
hmm, well the way their kitted out right now is very good, thats surprising shes not performing well. Have you used a praesidium before? (the WH's storm shield.) its a fine piece of equipment which is good for when you need an invuln save but don't want to burn a faith point. it was very useful on blessed weapon toting canonesses, as they are usually mop-up units which don't need the 2+ invuln like the eviscerator armed ones do.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The problem with the Jumping BW Cannoness is that her two best abilities are in conflict.
Her Mobility and her CC Defense ability are working against each other.

MOBILITY: (good)
The Cannoness with BW and Jump Pack is very mobile.
The jump pack + IC status is much like a knight/bishop in Chess.
She can move from behind your front line, and make a long reach.

OFFENSIVE STRENGTH: (poor)
When she gets there, she doesn't deliver a very hard punch.
At Str5 with 3 WS4 attacks, she's little more than a standard
Marine Vet with Power Weapon and Bolt Pistol.
Point-for-point, this particular ability (offensive Str) is actually quite poor.

DEFENSIVE STRENGTH: (excellent/poor)
Her most significant ability is to go 2+ invuln.
That particular ability serves excellent against small numbers,
and poor vs high numbers, because the save is trumped by high # of attacks.

USAGE: (early game vs late game)
Fast gamepieces tend to get used early, when opponent numbers are high.
BUt she can't do well on her own early unless she isolates a small group.
That kind of opportunity is very unlikely in the early game, because nobody died or became isolated yet.

And there's the rub:
Two of her finest advantages pull against each other.
Her pre-emptive move into CC can't be exploited because of high numbers.

The Cannoness with BW is better late-game/mop-up tool.
She can enter CC vs a few MEQs, and if you pump her up
with some faith, she'll emerge having killed all the boys.
That is an end-game task when we're down to our last few rags.

I'm not saying this is how to always use her.
She can be used in many ways.

I tend to get better results from the BW cannones when she rides in an IMMO with some Celestians including a Vet with Evis. That squad can be used for any purpose. And you dodn't spend that much on your Cannoness. Just a BW or an Evis.
Sometimes I take just a PW + SB, because the Celestians fight pretty well.

One could make the argument that a Cannoness can make a better contribution to CC by unlocking Celestians (via the Retinue), than she can make with her own CC wargear.

My other Cannoness is the "fat" one, who carries all the tools.
(I often use a converted Mistress model), who takes an Evis, IP, Jump, Mantle, Cloak, Book.
I advance her while embedded, and the following options open up:

She can jump away and shoot/charge a tank.
She can charge a tank while embedded.
She can charge an enemy IC and instakill him.
She makes me not worry about Dreadnoughts in CC.
She can hang back and provide moral support.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Am I mistaken that a Blessed weapon is 2 handed? You can't use a pistol with it, can you?

·
Returning Lawman!
1,712 Posts
You are correct, the blessed weapon is two handed. However it states in the rulebook you may have either two one handed weapons, or a one handed weapon and a two handed weapon.

·
Cthulhu's Lovechild
1,746 Posts
You are correct, the blessed weapon is two handed. However it states in the rulebook you may have either two one handed weapons, or a one handed weapon and a two handed weapon.
And as the 1-1-2 CSM rules take root it may change again.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel that chaos got uber grip just because they lost so much in terms of legions and daemons. Also it is a bit more fluffy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.