Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this is my first post here on LO (long time lurker, first time poster). I'm really considering starting my first competitive 40k army, and I'm considering playing Dark Eldar. I have a small Tau force that I've fully painted, but its more for aesthetic than for play. So here I am considering DE, full of questions and ideas, hoping for feedback and the collective LO wisdom to straighten me out!

I really like a lot of the DE's look, model wise, but there is still a lot of room for conversion to make them that much better. One thing I really want to try, if I can figure out a way (or, rather, you all can advise a way) is capes for the Warriors. As of now, they look a bit top-heavy, their helmets almost as large as their bodies. I feel like a cape flowing out behind them would not only balance the size ratio of individual warriors, but would make them look AWESOME. Incubi could use this as well. If I were to try to add capes to my warriors/incubi, what would be the best way of going about this? Is there another warhammer model that is cheap and has an easily removable cape? Is there a way to use "green stuff"? What the hell is the "green stuff? anyway, and how does one acquire/use it?

Also, I was thinking of making my DE kabal actually derived from exiled eldar (fluff-wise), and in doing so was hoping I could mix and match eldar unit bits with dark eldar unit bits. For example, replacing wyches with slightly converted banshees, a few aspects with warriors, and a farseer with a dracon -- assuming I kept them as the original statline associated with the DE units. it would mostly be a fluff/aesthetic thing. Is this even allowed?

Anyhoo, glad to be part of the community, thanks in advance for any and all advice.

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
Yes, the corsair capes look like skin of the warp beasts which would explain the appearance of the warp beasts.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use the Dark Elf Corsairs for my wyches, because i don't like the models.

I was also considering uses banshees at one stage.

I like this idea, it would also allow you to play some battles of eldar to break things up as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah! Good idea with the corsair capes! They would also make for good wyches, now that you mention it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Also, newbie question, what does CC mean?

·
Real Xeno
881 Posts
CC = Close Combat

Green stuff, also known as GS or kneadite = a two component modelling putty that can be sculpted after mixing the components. Gives You kind of plastic after totally dried (bout a day)
Can be bought at GW stores, stockist or auction sites.
Basically works like the clay, you just knead it, shape it and let it dry but since it is very sticky not that easy to work. Need to keep fingers wet otherwise it will stick on the skin semi-permanently (not that serious) but can ruin the whole job that was done.
Also there is the Milliput (I don`t like it personally) that works similar but far cheaper. Maybe that would be better for the first few times.

The green stuff good for cloaks but easier to buy cloaks and not more expensive as a body lenght cloak will eat the GS away.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I recommend using Greenstuff to make capes. If you are mass producing them it would be easier then pie. I took a seminar and the capes were the easiest thing to do.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
I really like a lot of the DE's look, model wise, but there is still a lot of room for conversion to make them that much better. One thing I really want to try, if I can figure out a way (or, rather, you all can advise a way) is capes for the Warriors.
Capes?

Try the banner from the Fantasy Warriors of Chaos or Chaos Knights, many players will have these just as extras in their bitz box.

They looked tattered and have a skull on them and I have used them in a previous life to good effect.

Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.