Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When purchasing Carapace Armor for your Infantry units, the 20 pts buys it for just one squad correct?

So you have a standard IG Platoon of one Command squad and two Infantry squads. It costs a total of 60 pts for Carapace Armor, correct?

Why does GW always do this in their codex's? Through the whole codex they either specifically refer to Platoons or squads, never units. Why, when explaining a doctrine, are they not extremely specific? If they just wrote," Infantry Guard Squads or Platoons" Instead of "Units" they would keep me from having to argue with a 14 year old kid who goes and whines to mom saying I'm cheating. I should not have to explain the rules of this game to my wife and open them up to a new interpretation.

Uncle Jesse

·
Registered
148 Posts
you are correct!!! though a great add on...it can be pricey!!!

My question is....if you choose this doctrine.....can you pick and choose which squads get the doctrine, OR do you HAVE to give it to all your squads since its a doctrine???!?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Since it is a regiment upgrade i would think you have to give to every squad.

But when we are on this subject here, what would you say is the best way to symbolize carapce armour?
Does have to be the breast plate thing or can it be something else too?
How would you say it legal to give a valhallan model carapace armour? Say that the long coats have the same function, say they are made of kevlar or something?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you take a look at the Storm Trooper models they have Carapace Armor but, it looks they are wearing a baggy sweatsuit. Looking at the new Kasrkin models, they have a few more armor plates as opposed to the standard Cadian troops. So it really doesn't take much if anything at all.

I think that if you say your Valhallans have Carapace Armor under their Great Coats, good for you. No one should be able to tell you otherwise. My core units are Mordian, you're going to try to tell me they don't have armor plates under those uniforms? Go get F'd! I say they do! So :p ! That should be more than enough of an arguement to quiet any naysayers. If it's not, show him a Storm Trooper Model and ask him how an Addidas sweatsuit two sizes too large can honestly be considered armor?

My question is....if you choose this doctrine.....can you pick and choose which squads get the doctrine, OR do you HAVE to give it to all your squads since its a doctrine???!?!?!?!
You must give it to all squads. The last paragraph under the Special Equipment header states," If this Doctrine is taken then each piece of equipment must be applied to every available model."

Uncle Jesse

·
Registered
3 Posts
Their muscles make up for lack of armour :D

I'd just use small strips of milliput added on to the arms and legs, paint them the same colour as the chestplate armour and voila there you have it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
And about that damned doctrine...

It says in the description that it's applied per unit. Also, in the Command HQ platoon section of the army list it says that the CHQ together with the Support squads count as _one unit_ - arrrr!

Does this mean that I should only pay 20 points to deck out my CHQ (Colonel, 4 guardsmen and any advisors) AND say... 5 support squads consisting of 6 men each. That could be *counts quickly in head* like 40-ish men covered in carapace armour for 20 points.

It sounds cheesy - but horrifyingly enough it's the wording in the Codex. Also, the question was asked in the most recent FAQ... however, it was asked in such a way that they answered "yes, the HQ and any attached advisors get the carapace upgrade together for the same price" - but they never mentioned the support squads.

Arf! Stupid GW and their lack of proof readers.

What's your take on this dilemma? I'm all for the "free carapace armour" - but I'd like some "official" backup on it from the FAQ... in the meantime I'll stay off it as it can be interpreted as using a typo loop hole... If it's the intent of the designers to have it this way, sure... I'll accept it and use it myself. If it's unintentional (which I believe it is) I don't really want to use it.

/Phreedh

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I belive, and Billymou agrees, that you must buy it for each squad not Platoon.

I agree that the choice of wording is poor at best. Should I be wrong about this one I can tell you right now, no matter how large of a force I field, I will have no more than One Platoon of infantry. It will be fully kited out with 50 men but, still, only One Platoon. That's 55 models with a 4+ save for about 1/3pt per model.

Hell yeah!

You just can't beat having a guard army with a 4+ save across the board at that price.

The other troop choices you ask?

Storm Troopers and an Armored Fist Squad.

Uncle Jesse

·
Registered
91 Posts
Jesster, I don't know if you replied to my post or the initial one - but according to the codex that's exactly what you can do with the HQ platoon... not the infantry platoons, as they're treated as separate units. The codex says the HQ should be treated as one unit for army design purposes, and it specifically says to include the support squads in that one unit. They are however treated as individual units in-game...

/Phreedh

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
Hey, If they can't even write something down in a halfway understandable manner in their own freakin language then exploit the hell out of it. I would say give the whole command section including the other units the carapace for one charge of 20 points since they don't use specific english terms to outline how it should be done. Really now, this kind of crap should have come up during playtesting, but what can you expect from a company that lists the armor values for vehicles and the strength for weapons as two different things on two different pages for the same weapons and vehicles.
Someone please send their editor to college.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I read the FAQ, and got the part about the HQ Platoon, that's cool by me and it really makes sense. Why should you be able to purchase Carapace Armor for a 10 man squad @20pts. But then, only purchase it for 5 models for the same cost. I'm glad it covers anything else attached to the HQ.

Uncle Jesse

·
Registered
848 Posts
So..... Can someone tell me if i can give a whole infantry platoon carapace armour for 20 points or not? if i have to add 20 points for each squad in my platoon then i will have hardly any units in an 1500 army. Which is the idea of an ig army!

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's quite clear, really... the codex says "for every unit" about the cost, so yes... you pay per unit/squad - not per platoon.

The main problem with the rules is that the whole HQ platoon is considered a unit during army composition - thus according to the codex it's just 20 pts to kit out the HQ squad and all the support squads within the HQ platoon.

But when it comes to ordinary infantry, it's quite clear that it's per unit (including the command sections). If you have two infantry platoons with 4 squads in each, it will cost you 200 pts just to cover them in carapace. Remember, you HAVE to give every unit in your army the carapace upgrade too as it's a regimental upgrade.

/Phreedh

·
Registered
848 Posts
Oh that sucks! I might just go without carapace armour. I was making an army list for my IG the other day and have posted it in the army lists forum. Well now i need to decide on another doctrine ffs!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just wanted to throw out on this post that you can buy carapace armour only for your rough riders if you wanted to. All right. Peace it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Archaon, as for your new docterine choice, i had exactly the same problem.
decided to go with out carapace which left me with-
chem inhalers
sharp shooters
close order drill
heavey weapon platoons

i decided on "grenadiers" because-
it fits with the "elite" feel of my army+docterines
gives me 3 squads as troops that HAVE carapace armour
and allows more flexibilty/mobility
and extra chimeras

its not finnishwed yet but my "fast attack shock force" will consist of-

3 squads of storm troopers with 2 meltas each in a chimera
3 hellhounds

for a total of 6 chimeras and 30 men packing 6 meltas 9 heavy bolters and 3 inferno cannons.(flames.... hehehehe :lol: )

all for a total of exactly 990 points!

·
Registered
22 Posts
addition to the above-

the "fast attack shock force" is intended as part of a larger force eg 2000 points and is not a separate 1000pt army.
I am aware it lacks any HQ and enough heavier weapons like lascannons but wanted to clear that up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.