Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every player sooner or later needs a way to carry your models from A to B without it being chipped, broken or flattened. Unfortunately, there a lots of carrying cases in this world, which can get confusing which ones are good and which ones are not good. So now I will go through the main ones:

REMINDER: ALWAYS CHECK POLICIES, SHIPMENT AND PAYMENT OPTIONS BEFORE ORDERING!!!

Sabol designs: http://www.saboldesigns.net/home.html

Info
: Sabol designs has a wide range of products. The sell carrying cases with foam trays and your own customizable foam trays for your models. According to their website, all you need to do is:

"[FONT=Arial, Sans-serif]1) The perforated foam can easily be "plucked" to fit your miniatures with a custom fit.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Sans-serif](2 ) Customizing the foam is very easy . Simply judge the height of your miniature ( as shown) and chose the appropriate thickness for your model. [/FONT]

(3) After step (2), pluck our the perforated foam cubes ( one at a time) You now have an exact fit for your miniature!:

The disadvantages of Sabol is that you can not order international shipments from Sabol directly. But you can get around this. The War Store (link) has the full range of Sabol products, and ships international.

The Warstore accepts major credit cards and Paypal. Sabol also accepts major credit cards and Paypal.

Battlefoam V2: Battlefoam V2
Info: Battlefoam V2 also has a wide range of products. They sell carrying cases, foam trays in Sabol carrying case size, GW carrying case size and customizable foam trays, how to get them and make them is found here: Battlefoam V2
Battlefoam also sell army specific foam trays, so the foma trays are made with specific dimensions for gaunts, deamons, imperial guard tanks, ect. Here is just some of their range: Battlefoam V2

2 BANEBLADE FOAM TRAY (BF-5)

2 GRAV TANKS 3 VYPER JETBIKES 3 WARWALKERS 1 AVATAR FOAM TRAY (BF-3)

DRAGON AND LARGE TROOP FOAM TRAY (BF-6)

And yes, even Privateer press.

24 LARGE WEAPON MODEL TROOP FOAM TRAY (SD-1)

This is only a sample of their range.

Battlefoam V2 ship worldwide.

KR: Home
Info: KR Multicase sell a range of cases, both thick cardboard and metal, along with a range of bags to hold cases in, for 1,2 and 4 cases. The cases can hold a range of foams, and the company produce all manner of foam trays ranging in size and thickness. Their foams come in classifications for different dimensions (i.e N= 40 compartments). There are also two different types of customisable foam trays. The 1st is the same as the Sabol ones, under the name "pick & pluck". The second type of customisable trays are found here: Customise! KR also have a very interesting page where you can find which foam trays fit which army the best. It covers Warhammer, 40K, Necromunda and Privateer press armies.

KR accept paypal along with card payments, and ship world-wide They also have a 14 day returns policy if you are not satisfied with the case you have bought.

Figures in comfort: Figures in Comfort

Info: They do not only sell cases and foam trays, but models as well as a few other things, so for figure trays go to Fic Cases & Foam Trays ->. They sell many different types of cases and foam trays, as well as customizable foam trays. The Customizable foam trays are the same as the Sabol Design ones. FIC always sold cunningly designed cardboard boxes pre sized to take foam trays which provided the money conscious gamer with an extremely cheap if less durable storage option. For storing miniatures that you don't move around much these boxes are great.

Warning on FiC: Their owner suffered from some quite serious illness last year which meant for some time the company was inactive. There are people who have orders now over a year late, with the money taken a long time ago. The company has since changed hands but the new owners have a huge backlog to catch up on.

Figures in comfort ship world-wide.

GW figure cases: Games Workshop
Info: The GW figure cases only sell two different types of figure cases. A small one, and a big one. They also sell extra foam trays.

The Foam trays that come with any GW product are cut out for Space marine dimensions, so any other army will have difficulties fitting in them, especially guys like genestealers. But a way to get around this is to buy foam trays from other companies that sell GW-sized foam trays that have your required dimensions.
Read the info about the product before buying! The tactical backpack and Heavy Support Bag require the Figure cases to use.

GW ship world wide.

matus:

Feldherr - Feldherr Figurenkoffer und Zubehör - Feldherr MAXI

Info Like the other manufacturers they sell a range of cases, both hard and soft that hold varying depth foam trays, rasta and pre cut. Personally I find their maxi bag the most useful, its dimensions are a little larger than the smaller GW case, but holds 5 trays or their equivalent. Their zip system to seal the bag is an advantage over FIC's velcro but they lack the large front pocket of the FIC equivalent. They also have a handle in addition to the carry strap, which for some reason FIC bases do not.

Trays Their main two sizes are their larger GW equivalent trays and a smaller 16 miniature sized tray. Their range is greater than GW and while much smaller than the massive range of FIC is generally sufficient. Additionally the 'cubes' in their rasta trays are smaller, enabling more detailed shapes to be cut and I've found the smaller strip you need to leave between tanks allowed me to fit one more rhino into my Feldherr case than could fit into the equivalent FIC tray

The foam Feldherr make their trays out of is quite soft, more like the GW trays than the much harder FIC foam. Personally I prefer this as I've had parts snap off miniatures when pressed in to FIC foam. Additionally the base of each tray is made of the same foam while FIC's is made of a much higher density foam, almost sold which does not provide the best support. HOWEVER this softer foam does come at the cost of overall reduced rigidity to a full case. For miniatures which don't fit exactly into the pre set holes in a tray this extra give is invaluable and the softer base allows for larger bases to be accomidated.

Additionally for some unknown reason Felherr do not glue the bases onto their trays, meaning you have to get the pva out before you can even use the case which is irritating. Also Feldherr bags do not include space for a topper layer of foam, meaning that their is nothing between the top of the upper most miniatures and the fabric of the bag

arachnid: Do note that there are pre-glued trays from feldherr making it real easy to put the trays on a different foam if you wish.
It's a simple matter of peeling the backing paper off and stick 'em on.
The glue is solid enough for me, i haven't had anything come undone or melt in the summer heat. (careful when sticking them together, once it's on it's there to stay.)
The hardcase i bought was roomy enough to fit my whole army with plenty of room to spare.
(2k pts +)
The clasps were a wee bit on the weak side if you plan on bringing a full-metal army in it.

Feldherr accept Paypal and most major credit cards.

Thanks to matus for the amazing picture!

Tips:

1) Think before you buy! You are trusting your minatures lives to these cases, so make sure that the cases are the right size for your army and make sure that you buy the right foam tray dimensions.

2) Look at all websites to find the cheapest or best fit for you. If you live in europe, companies that are based in europe may ship for less charge to your house than american companies.

3)
Always check their policies, areas of shipment and payment options before ordering. Some websites are not good in the fact that it is hard to get this information. Areas of shipment and payment can be always discovered by:

1. adding a random product to cart.

2. Go to checkout, and fill in information untill it asks for credit card detail or Paypal details. They always ask for these detail last, which means that you have to fill in where to ship to, and what way to pay. Just remember, you cant buy if they don't know your credit or paypal details.

4) Customisable foam trays doesn't = better. Companies might sell your required dimensions. Also customisable foam trays cost money.

5) Watch out for currency. This is importent. If you are thinking about buying a really good case, check up the currency exchange and how it has changed. In the end, you can save a coupla bucks.

That is my list of companies and tips. If I have missed any companies, tips, information or if anyone has any comments or criticism, I will gladly listen and edit my post.

A big thanks to matus and arachnid for the Feldherr section. xXClaret-PaulXx for helping with the KR section. Also to Pierced53 for the help.

HFR

·
Real Xeno
881 Posts
Thank You for thread, that was an excellent idea!

I do have the right case(s), but I had been wondering around a lot untill I got them.

Rep for You!

·
1,206 Posts
Could I add a few things. Firstly don't forget Feldherr. I've bough from a few people in my time and I'd like to add my comments to this rather interesting thread. I'd like to say up front my preference is for Feldherr foam in a Feldherr or FIC case when you want soft cases, and GW for hard cases when you think your models will take a considerable battering.

Feldherr - Feldherr Figurenkoffer und Zubehör - Feldherr MAXI

Info Like the other manufacturers they sell a range of cases, both hard and soft that hold varying depth foam trays, rasta and pre cut. Personally I find their maxi bag the most useful, its dimensions are a little larger than the smaller GW case, but holds 5 trays or their equivalent. Their zip system to seal the bag is an advantage over FIC's velcro but they lack the large front pocket of the FIC equivalent. They also have a handle in addition to the carry strap, which for some reason FIC bases do not.

Trays Their main two sizes are their larger GW equivalent trays and a smaller 16 miniature sized tray. Their range is greater than GW and while much smaller than the massive range of FIC is generally sufficient. Additionally the 'cubes' in their rasta trays are smaller, enabling more detailed shapes to be cut and I've found the smaller strip you need to leave between tanks allowed me to fit one more rhino into my Feldherr case than could fit into the equivalent FIC tray

The foam Feldherr make their trays out of is quite soft, more like the GW trays than the much harder FIC foam. Personally I prefer this as I've had parts snap off miniatures when pressed in to FIC foam. Additionally the base of each tray is made of the same foam while FIC's is made of a much higher density foam, almost sold which does not provide the best support. HOWEVER this softer foam does come at the cost of overall reduced rigidity to a full case. For miniatures which don't fit exactly into the pre set holes in a tray this extra give is invaluable and the softer base allows for larger bases to be accomidated.

Additionally for some unknown reason Felherr do not glue the bases onto their trays, meaning you have to get the pva out before you can even use the case which is irritating. Also Feldherr bags do not include space for a topper layer of foam, meaning that their is nothing between the top of the upper most miniatures and the fabric of the bag

FIC

I would also add one warning about FIC. Their owner suffered from some quite serious illness last year which meant for some time the company was inactive. I know of people who have orders now over a year late, with the money taken a long time ago. The company has since changed hands but the new owners have a huge backlog to catch up on.

ON the up side FIC always sold cunningly designed cardboard boxes pre sized to take foam trays which provided the money conscious gamer with an extremely cheap if less durable storage option. For storing miniatures that you don't move around much these boxes are great.

·
Thrillseeker
548 Posts
I have nothing but good things to say about feldherr, so i'll cut to the chase:

Do note that there are pre-glued trays from feldherr making it real easy to put the trays on a different foam if you wish.
It's a simple matter of peeling the backing paper off and stick 'em on.

The glue is solid enough for me, i haven't had anything come undone or melt in the summer heat. (careful when sticking them together, once it's on it's there to stay.)

The hardcase i bought was roomy enough to fit my whole army with plenty of room to spare.
(2k pts +)

The clasps were a wee bit on the weak side if you plan on bringing a full-metal army in it.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Nice idea for a thread, I like it.
I'd argue with your comments regarding Kaiser Rushforth, however, as their customisable trays are not complicated. They are literally trays which you simply pluck to your own needs for each model, identically to the first image of Sabol you posted.

I'd definitely recommend KR Multicases, they can hold a lot of miniatures and take a lot of punishment too. It is a well run company with very helpful staff.

Oh, and..

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Acknowledged Pierced53 with the customisable trays, I'll edit it into my post.

Nice picture BTW :D

·
Hero of War
1,348 Posts
Great idea for a thread! I was wondering why something like this hadn't been started after replying to another thread about 'which case should I buy?!'...

I company I don't think you should miss though is KR Multicase.

KR Multicase sell a range of cases, both thick cardboard and metal, along with a range of bags to hold cases in, for 1,2 and 4 cases. The cases can hold a range of foams, and the company produce all manner of foam trays ranging in size and thickness.

KR accept paypal along with card payments, and will ship, as far as I am aware, to anywhere in the world. They also have a 14 day returns policy if you are not satisfied with the case you have bought.

If you want to check them out, the site is here: KR Multicase

I bought a case a while back, and I couldn't praise them enough. It's flown in plane holds and come out completly in-tact, and it's made of thick cardboard!

Grady A stuff!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Great idea for a thread! I was wondering why something like this hadn't been started after replying to another thread about 'which case should I buy?!'...
Heh, yeah. I know exactly how you feel.

KR Multicase sell a range of cases, both thick cardboard and metal, along with a range of bags to hold cases in, for 1,2 and 4 cases. The cases can hold a range of foams, and the company produce all manner of foam trays ranging in size and thickness.

KR accept paypal along with card payments, and will ship, as far as I am aware, to anywhere in the world. They also have a 14 day returns policy if you are not satisfied with the case you have bought.

If you want to check them out, the site is here: KR Multicase
This is good information that would be a welcome addition to the original post, HFR. Your section on KR is a little shorter than the others at present.

Anyway, how about adding pictures to each of the case descriptions? :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just thought i'd chip in:

KR are currently doing a deal whereby you buy one of their new cases, you get one of their cardboard ones free. The cardboard cases are fairly tough too, and they're worth about £20, so it's a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, it's UK only.

·
404: Title not found
2,845 Posts
Great idea for a thread, rep for you! This might hopefully stop all these threads about 'which carrying case to choose' and so on, I swear I post on one every week!

On a side note, I like KR best.

~ DiW

·
1,206 Posts
Hey HFR, just spent an hour or two knocking this up for you, hope its helpful for your thread. The sizes of the bottom cases are in mm not " and I'll get round to changing it one day. If there are mistakes or bits you can add let me know, I could send you the excel sheet if it helps

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wow, that is amazing matus! I can't rep you now because I need to give some other people rep before you, but I will remember to give you rep for that piece of work :good:

It would be nice to have the excel sheet, as prices do change every now and then.

Reactions: hildan

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the advice, was unsure on what to do before this :)

+REP

ADDITIONAL

I have recantly recieved my KR Multi Case, due to the information provided within this Thread.

Based on a few things such as Im in the UK and dont want to pay ( I assume ) a large shipping fee i didnt want to order from what seemed like the best BattleFoam.

I looked into the KR Multi Case being based in the UK, and although initally i thought this to be quiete pricey (£60 for a double sized aluminium case :S ) thought it best rarther than having to re-buy/glue/paint all my broken models again from not being stored correctly.

Anyways it arrived (£60 included the foam trays (of which i could choose from a variety of thickness, pick and pluck etc. this did get a little confusing but was helped out by sending an email to the company to make sure the trays i requested fitted correctly / provided the best support for my army ) and included courierd delivery, which in my case was next day) and its a very sturdy piece of kit with high quality foam that keeps my models secure.

Also I got a black aluminium case which has silver trim added with the blue foam...It just looks great :D.

Again thanks for helping me out / poiinting me in the right direction its been a huge help and Im absoloutly over the moon with my case.

Thank You

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Spambot? Albeit a weird one...

Back to the OT, I have 2 triple KR Multicase in black for my astartes, and they are pretty much perfect in every way. Between these two case (£150 for the pair) I'll have enough to put pretty much every model I could ever need in. At some point I'll be getting myself a pair of silver cases to match for my high elves :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just thought i'd chip in:

KR are currently doing a deal whereby you buy one of their new cases, you get one of their cardboard ones free. The cardboard cases are fairly tough too, and they're worth about £20, so it's a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, it's UK only.
Excellent. just whats needed to answer questions of anyone thikning about buying a case/ foam

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You can get these at Wal-Mart for $10.

Work great for minis. Currently using one to transport my Khador plus books/cards, and two more that should work for my upcoming IG project.

It's the Plano Protector series model 1404-02. Why hold four pistols when you can carry a whole army? (Ok, a tiny plastic one, whatever...)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts