Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Both

Votes: 4 16.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So whos like the Old Catachans better or the new ones?

Personally i loved the Old Catachans, they were so unique and felts like a Commando type army. They were not so great out of the forest but could still put up a fight.

·
2,399 Posts
I think all the older infantry models were better than the new ones. (Cadians too)
The old models are nice - a bit more detail (I love the catchan meltagun) - however the plastics are : Better converted (My shaeffers men tell that tale) Not repetative, lighter to carry to games (I carry enough minis about to want to not make them metal nowerdays) and plastic doesn't chip so much (phew!) - I said both. There's no plastic tallerns / steel legion

·
Senior Citizen
719 Posts
I think all the older infantry models were better than the new ones. (Cadians too)
Personally I really liked all the old metal models and over the years I've probably painted just about all the IG minis, from the Rogue trader IG through to the Vostroyans (except for the Mordian/Praetorians didn't like those).
The second generation Storm Troopers were a personal favorite, carrying so much kit they shouldn't be able to walk.

The old models are nice - a bit more detail (I love the catchan meltagun) - however the plastics are : Better converted (My shaeffers men tell that tale) Not repetative, lighter to carry to games (I carry enough minis about to want to not make them metal nowerdays) and plastic doesn't chip so much (phew!) - I said both. There's no plastic tallerns / steel legion
Having said all that the one thing that really annoys me about metal is, as stayscrunchyinmilk pointed out, paint chips. I don't think I've ever chipped the paint on a plastic model. The metal ones you only have to look at in a funny way and that's the end of the barrel showing silver!
That's after three coats of varnish and a layer of dull cote.
As for dropping one, especially when it lands on the rest of the squad. . .in the words of 'Kurtz' "The horror. . . the horror"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was acully refering more tords the rules, as far as the models go, they most look pretty awsome to me.

But i ment 3rd ed Catachan rules when they had there own codex as compared to 4th ed Catachans rules that are currently integrated into a single IG codex.

·
It's a Trap!
1,750 Posts
Umm, except that they released a PDF catachan codex that is nearly the same as the 3rd edition one a couple years ago.

Link

So even though it isn't quiet as official as the old one, and can't be used in some tournies, it is a chapter approved codex that can still be played with :)

I agree, the real catachans are a much cooler army than simply building them with doctrines, but outside of the jungle, they normally got slaughtered. In the jungle though they were amazing. A very cool flavorful army. I guess the advantage you get with building them with doctrines is that outside of the jungle, they are better, although inside the jungle they aren't as good. It's just a less extreme alteration of the IG army.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
didnt know the PDF Catachans were legel, but i think the whole Ambush rules and Trap rules need to be revamped. I love teh idea for traps and ambushes but seriously, i play on a board that 48" x 72", im seriously not gona create a gride for that. It will take up too much time and make the game too clunky.

I think Traps should be terrian piece based, and ambushed should be allowed to be done on any area terrian.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think nethier, i saw thje coolest IG army at my hobby shop, it was a mix of Catachans and cadians, they had Cadian bodies and helmets, but they had Catachans arms and legs, and to top it all off they have Space Marine Scout Sniper, Night Vision Goggles, it was freakin sweet, it looked like a special forces unit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
New

as far as the models go, i like the newer ones better. partially because im a nub, and because my uncle had a whole army of those metal guys. and the metal mini's are just alot more matenence (spelling).

As far as the rules go, im only vaguely familiar with the old rules and while the 'new' rules are ok, they are definetely a bit out of date.

and to the above poster, did you really see that army, cause im starting a guard army and i was going to do something really similar to that, but i hadnt thought of scout sniper goggles, i may just have to look into that.

SL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts