Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wraithlords-They set 'em up, then they knock 'em down

I've been tooling around with my Iyanden army and, of course, am looking to use a wraithlord. I'm unfortunately stuck here thinking, "Is a CC wraithlord a feasible option?" I first looked at the Lord's strength of __ with a toughness of _. This means he will wound most everything on a 2+ while only being able to take damage from strength 5 and up attacks. Against your standard marine squad that means your Lord can't be hurt.

Time to mathhammer this!

With his two attacks the Wraith lord with hit a Marine or anything with a WS of 4 1 time. This goes into .83333 wounds.
vs
1.5 hits with the wraithsword, leading to 1.25 wounds.

This means it will take 4 turns (8 individual assault phases) to kill of a 10 man marine squad with the wraithsword and 6 turns (12 individual assualt phases) without the wraithsword.:? Now thats quite a long time isn't it?

Don't get discouraged from that! there are other beneifits from that long combat
1. Tie's up their unit
-Remember your Lord is built to be tied up, their unit isn't. The enemy will effectively lose that unit for the rest of the game even if it isn't killed.
2. Drawing Force
-This one spawns of of the first, in order to get that tied up unit out of combat the enemy will have to send their main CC unit to hit the wraithlord. That means you know where the enemy is going to attack, so you have plenty of time to set up a trap.
3. Cheap
-This guy is just under 100 points base. If you can tie up a 160 or so point 10 man Blood Claw squad. That right there is taking away 160 enemy points for only 100 of yours, which as we all know is the essance of victory points.
4. Mix it up!
-Ok so you don't want to be in combat for the entire game. Take a shooty build. Shoot down a squad or a transport or your way to charge. So now you shoot at the 50 point Rhino carrying those 10 Blood Claws, that means youre now taking 210 for your 135 (depending on build) point Wraithguard.

Don't think your done yet! Here are some things to watch out for
1. Heavy Shooty Armies
-Tau and IG (especially) could send bricks of dice of strength 6-8 shots that most likely will rip right through our Wraith's armor. Set up in a spot that cuts off the enemy's fire lanes and pick your targets carefuly here. Take away their LOS
2. Rending/Powerfists
-Basically we have to stay away from the CC designed squads. Powerfists will most likely wound us on 4's with rending chopping us to pieces. Send your Harlequins into those squads, you're made to tie-up non CC units while not taking any damage in return.
3. Monsterous Creature
-Play your defense as you would a tank, but your offense as a unit. The enemy can always target you-hid behind those woods and buildings-block that LOS!

So lets look at some options:

Wraithlord Builds

135-EML, Scatter Laser
-A nice Str of _ with 4 Srt _ shots on top of that. This so far has been my favorite for taking out AV 12 and less armor

160-Bright Lance, Starcannon
-Another Tank hitter, but with the Lance it can now easily knock out Av14 armor. Also functions as a TEQ hunter with 3 ap2 shots wounding on 2's. Downside is that this is very expensive.

120-Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon
-Light infantry hunter. Though due the the comparitive low volume of shots, a War Walker squad or guardian squad may be a better choice here

100-Wraithsword (Dual Flamers)
-Now this one seems that it would be the most effective. Fire off the 2 Flamers then swing away. The lord only has 3 attack on the charge, so re-rolling hits may not be that great, but at only so many points, it couldn't hurt.

On combining the Wraithsword with a ranged weapon-I just don't think its really worth it. We're capitalizing on the statline of the wraithlord to handle it's own in combat. It's two weapon slots should be used for ranged weapons to add versitility to our Wraithlord.

I originally wanted this post to have a nice simple question-CC vs Shooty Wraithlords, which one is better? I sort of feel like I answered my own question. The answer is both! Get those Eldar big guns out there. Shoot em up, then knock em down-all with the same model.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't play eldar, and so don't have the codex with me, but last time I played against a wraithlord it dropped very easily with my boyz. It was a regular slugga boyz squad with a PK nob and since the poor wraithlord is so slow I had no trouble assaulting it in the first place. I'd assume blood claws or anything else with fists would have as easy time with it aswell.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well if you're hitting it with orks... armed with the great old style 4+ choppas... i'm pretty sure you'd eat it for breakfast. As for powerfists... well i wouldn't send it agains assault termies, but one powerfist wouldn't worry me. You have the wounds and toughness to eat a couple of hits, and if you get those two flamers working for you on the charge you can be pretty devestating. That being said I always run mine with a bright lance and starcannon. I find it's the best tank hunter platform the eldar have (well aside from the fire prisim)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I love wraithlords, and take at least 2 in almost every game i play unless im going Mech Eldar....
But....
I never play them as cc anymore....
I used to play the lord/sword option and run them into opposing troops with glee and watch as my wraithlord(s) slowly beat their way through them, but most opponents are wise to this now. A MEQ sergeant with PF will down a lord in two/three turns of combat, and all your lord will have done is killed a couple of marines, leaving the sergeant, special and heavy troopers safe. If you play anything thats no MEQ, ur opponent will swamp your lord with a bunch of cheap troops and laugh as you get bogged down for the battle. Twice....TWICE...my tyranid opponent has just ran two minimum gaunt squads straight into my lords, and effectively taken them out of the battle (couldnt get support there in time).

So i play both my lords as BL/EML moving weapons platforms. Good range, can move n shoot both of the weapons, cant have either of them blown off like a falcon can, and will still rip apart ANYTHING in cc!
I was tempted when i started Eldar to have them as uber CC monsters, but mate, its just not worth it.....

EDIT; also, dont take flamers, if you're effective with them then your opponent will just take off the models closest and deny you an assault (again, damn 'nid player....)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Twice....TWICE...my tyranid opponent has just ran two minimum gaunt squads straight into my lords, and effectively taken them out of the battle (couldnt get support there in time).
How did that happen? WL's are immune to S4> hits. Unless some genestealers joined the fight I don't get it.

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
Well, in a CC army im thinking of, im debating on running:

3x wraithlords
Fortune+Doomseer
Harlies+other close range aspect warriors

The idea is that i tie up everything in CC, while the avatar, aspect warriors and harlies tear their way through all the units with hit n run. I think its a sound plan and could work. Troops would be big guardian units, for tying people up even more :p

Reactions: Shiz_Vaerth

·
Registered
249 Posts
How did that happen? WL's are immune to S4> hits. Unless some genestealers joined the fight I don't get it.
I never said they killed my lords, its just that the 2 squads of gaunts combined cost less than one of my lords, and they just tied up my lords for the battle. Within synapse so they never ran away, i was lucky to kill two a turn, more than usually only got one.
You dont need to kill something to take it out of a battle, as I have learned much to my dismay....

·
Registered
356 Posts
I never said they killed my lords, its just that the 2 squads of gaunts combined cost less than one of my lords, and they just tied up my lords for the battle. Within synapse so they never ran away, i was lucky to kill two a turn, more than usually only got one.
You dont need to kill something to take it out of a battle, as I have learned much to my dismay....
Oh! I thought you said taken out IN combat.

Has the Wraithlord ever been more effective in CC than it is (isn't) now?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Oh! I thought you said taken out IN combat.

Has the Wraithlord ever been more effective in CC than it is (isn't) now?
haha, no probs!
Theres been the odd occasion where iv managed to get one of my WL's into combat with an IC and it has done wonders with instakills, or they have managed to get some lucky strikes on a vehicle, but whereas I could count the number of CC heroic deeds my WL's have achieved on the fingers of one hand, the humiliations in CC far outnumber them....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yep... used to have more attacks.
I think 2 attacks is pretty realistic fluffwise. I just wish it didn't make the WL so unbalanced. In some dice fights a WL design I was testing out did very well against a Carnifex with 7 S10
attacks. But since it is so agaisingly slow the odds of that happening are pretty small.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think 2 attacks is pretty realistic fluffwise. I just wish it didn't make the WL so unbalanced. In some dice fights a WL design I was testing out did very well against a Carnifex with 7 S10
attacks. But since it is so agaisingly slow the odds of that happening are pretty small.
i think thats the major problem with WL and CC, they are so slow that you dont get to choose your target, they choose for you. as stated all it takes is a large squad of cheap units to bog down a lord for a game.

weapon platform is the most viable build, EML/BL you can't get a more affective BL, its the best BS eldar have to offer.

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
To the person who repped my avatar :S

Please leave your name so i can say thanks, thank you :)

·
124 Posts
I've never had my wraithlords in melee but i can't imagine they would do very well. most melee combats would result in the enemy assaulting the lord with his finest melee troops which will mostlikely have power weapons or rending. With only 2 attacks back, the lord would not fare well.

As for the earlier comment about the lord being immune to S4 hits, thats not quite right. In order to be immune to a strength level, your toughness must be over twice the strength of the weapon. T9 would be required to be immune to S4 (i'm not aware of any standard unit who has T9).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've never had my wraithlords in melee but i can't imagine they would do very well. most melee combats would result in the enemy assaulting the lord with his finest melee troops which will mostlikely have power weapons or rending. With only 2 attacks back, the lord would not fare well.

As for the earlier comment about the lord being immune to S4 hits, thats not quite right. In order to be immune to a strength level, your toughness must be over twice the strength of the weapon. T9 would be required to be immune to S4 (i'm not aware of any standard unit who has T9).
No, you really only need to be T8 to be immune against S4. Better read the damage chart again. The rule of thumb there is you can wound 3 toughness higher than your strenght. So wit S5 it'd be T8.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.