Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could i make a kill team of followers of chaos using the chaos space marine rules, they would be like people that follow chaos but since they are not under control of the gods, they have free will but, are strong followers of chaos. With this free will they are more tactical, and are disposible because they are not absolutely devoted to chaos. thats why they are used for kill teams and missions with high risks of death.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If they're not Marines (or in power armour), you shouldn't use marine stats. Unless you're going to give them power armour (which you could; if I remember correctly, the mutant kill-team in the rulebook had marine torsos), they shouldn't have a save representing it. If you pay mostly in friendly games, you could try the LatD list for stats for traitors and mutants, or simply use counts-as rules from Imperial Guard or Inquisition forces without Militant Chambers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay, so this is perfectly possible and would make sense, regardless wether i use space marines or whatever?"

·
Registered
199 Posts
A good example for CSM who are followers of Chaos but aren't entirely under its control are the Iron Warriors and the Night Lords. The former are known to replace mutated limbs with cybernetic ones, the latter use Chaos merley as a tool to further their own agendas. But you don't have to use these two, a warband form the red corsairs or the remains of another renegade chapter, which you can create by yourself.

·
1,065 Posts
weeeeelllll acutally, i'd say that WAS the night lord philosphy, but they've definatly gone away from that line of thinking. Definatly this sorta kill team would work, and be cool.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
The Night Lords and Iron Warriors not following chaos thing was totally invented in the previous edition of the Codex, when they got a full list which didn't let them take chaos marks or daemons. Prior to that, for example in their Index Astrates article, they were full on traitor legions with marked troops who blatantly worshipped chaos. Of course nowadays, with the emphasis taken off the Legion hierarchies, they've ruleswise if not fluffwise gone straight back to normal.

I mean, the Iron Warriors were at the siege of terra, breaching the Imperial palace under Horus' command. If they weren't chaos, why were they serving Horus and his rebellion?

All chaos followers have a degree of free will.. But basically, commiting to serve chaos means commiting to serve mutation and madness, and after a while, the goals of chaos marines and the goals of their patrons start to coincide more and more as their minds are warped by the power of the gods.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If i remember correctly, not all Iron Warriors were at Terra, only a contigent. Most of them held their own little Empire around Olympia, while others guarded the forticiations on numerous other planets. But thats not the point.

They, like the Night Lords, were allies of Horus and fought for his side, granted, but that doesn't necessarily means that they were as devoted to Chaos as, say the Word Bearers. Likewise, not every guy who fought in the crusades was a devoted Christian.

Furthermore it is explicity stated in the IA article that they honor the Chaos gods as a pantheon but are not truly devoted to it. Their loyality belongs more to Pertuarbo, who is a demon prince but not because of his worshipping of chaos (like for instance, Lorgar) but because he nearly destroyed the Imperial Fists.
What i said about the mutations comes also straight from the Index Astares.

As for the Night Lords, they don't ally themselves with particular Chaos Power for a long time and their geneseed is the purest of all the Traitor Legions. They see faith in Chaos (or any other thing except wealth and power itself) as foolishness.

So, of course those two are Chaos Space Marines, but not as devoted to it as the other Legions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.