Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would you rather put mark of slaanesh OR musician for the same points?
+1 CR for a tie is nice on naked knights in a 1k list but not having to take those tests...

·
Schemer
481 Posts
Musician you re-roll panic test and your knights already cause fear. The only dangerous test is terror (in a 1k game the probabilities are low to find such a thing).

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
plus the only real threat of a terror causer is if they outnumber (how the **** often does that happen?).

·
367 Posts
Lost a tourney once failing a stupidity test on my ogre tyrant with a re-roll. (mawseeker and jade lion, thats 9 with a re-roll)
Only happened once in 8 games but it was the last game and lost me the match and thus the tourney.

The only time i have ever lost points on a Daemon Prince ever is when he broke from combat in the last turn of the game with the bsb in range (thus a re-roll). Lost that match too. (500+ points broken at the end of the game + general, sigh)

My point is that if something can happen it will happen sometime and that time may very well cost you a match. dapredator66 is correct in saying that the chance of seeing a terror causer in 1k points is low, if you want to guarantee you will pass the test take slaanesh.

·
Schemer
481 Posts
Lost a tourney once failing a stupidity test on my ogre tyrant with a re-roll. (mawseeker and jade lion, thats 9 with a re-roll)
Only happened once in 8 games but it was the last game and lost me the match and thus the tourney.

The only time i have ever lost points on a Daemon Prince ever is when he broke from combat in the last turn of the game with the bsb in range (thus a re-roll). Lost that match too. (500+ points broken at the end of the game + general, sigh)

My point is that if something can happen it will happen sometime and that time may very well cost you a match. dapredator66 is correct in saying that the chance of seeing a terror causer in 1k points is low, if you want to guarantee you will pass the test take slaanesh.

Same experiences here to. I had knights failed a panic test on turn1 and fled off the table (was not playing first and the unit contained a hero). If you are afraid of Murphy's law take Slaanesh.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
I once blew two LD10 checks in the same turn, sending most of my army off the board.

It isn't likely, but as others have posted, it can happen. For Chaos Knights, I'd go with the Mark of Slaanesh, although it might not be bad to take the musician as well, otherwise if you and your opponent tie for combat resolution, and he has a musician, you'll lose the combat.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sry to jump in like this, but what seperates a Standard bearer from a musician? And would slaanesh and musician even do anything? Because I was considering running a full command slaanesh knight unit.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
It's in the basic rulebook. If you haven't read that, I'd start there before trying to put a list together. To answer your question, the standard bearer gives you +1 to your combat resolution (as if you did one more wound to the enemy), and the musician allows you to win ties in close combat and also gives you +1 to checks to regroup after falling back.

Musicians help in units that are immune to psychology because they help in close combat, and if you're broken in close combat. I'd say they're still worth it. In general, I give a musician to every unit that can take one, but only standards to units that have a good chance of winning close combat (since captured enemy standards award your opponent 100 points each).

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
This is possibly the most powerfull knight build in the entire game:

- 5 ( or more ) knights
- mark of nurgle
- standard bearer carrying the banner of rage

They are hard to shoot at and hit in close combat, they have 15 (!) ws5 str5 attacks, 10 (!) ws3 str4 attacks ( this will pulverize anything, even big chunky blocks charged from the front ) and they are frenzied so they are immune to psychology.
Just pure and epic pain.

So to answer the original question, I´d rather take the banner of rage than the mark of slaanesh, because you get a big fat load of attacks and become immune to psychology all together. Maybe add a musician to make any rally a bit easier.

·
367 Posts
For nearly 300 points they better be good!!!
That's an awful lot of points in one basket that can be baited and flanked.

Personally i don't mark knights with the banner of rage, its just overkill on the points for not that much more protection.
I would rather spend the 30 points on a unit of hounds to screen them than the mark of Nurgle.

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
Grab the Battle for Skull Pass rule book. Its smaller and cheaper, might be able to find it on ebay or bartertown.

Or wait 6 or so months for when 8th edition comes out.

·
Registered
774 Posts
actually, unless i want the frenzy, I'd rather have mark of slaanesh than ITP, the ability to flee from charges is awesome, allowing you to setup countercharges of your own (from other units ofc)

Also, I'm in the same boat as a lot of people here, I've had a unit of knights with a hero flee when a unit of dogs fled from a charge through them, the idea was to setup a counter charge next turn from the knights, unfortunately, they failed their re-rollable panic test and ran away screaming like little girls, MoS would have prevented this (so would MoK or banner of rage, but they're more expensive)

·
Schemer
481 Posts
are fully upgraded knights of chaos the best cavalry in warhammer?
A rhetoric question. I have no clear answer for you but they clearly are stronger or at least equal to any other cavalry.
[Blast from past]That reminds of a quote from Conan:
Mongol General: "What is best in life?
Conan: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women. "

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
It depends on what you mean by 'best'. Personally, I think the best are Bretonnian Pegasus Knights, but that's not to say that they're the most powerful or cost effective. They're just the most effective, being flyers and (effectively) skirmishers as well as cavalry.

If you mean the most powerful, then Grail Knights are definite contenders, thanks to several Bretonnian special rules, but they're also costly, and not as resilient as Chaos Knights.

Blood Knights are also very good, and incredibly resilient, especially when backed up by magic.

Pistoliers are arguably the most cost effective cavalry in the game, but are a light/shooty cavalry, and not really a close combat unit.

Chaos Knights, like Chaos Warriors, are just excellent overall. They have no weaknesses, they're very tough, and they can defeat nearly anything in close combat, especially if they have a hero/lord along with. They're worth their cost, but unfortunately, the cost is indeed great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.